Am I wasting my time?

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm using minoxidil and nizoral but no finasteride. Am I wasting my time and money if I'm never going to use finasteride?

Nene

Reaction score
I don't think it's a waste but of course your regiment will not be as effective. Rogaine could still buy you a few years of decent hair.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I find the links between Minoxidil use and premature aging a little worrying...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
I'm using minoxidil and nizoral but no finasteride. Am I wasting my time and money if I'm never going to use finasteride?

Ummm....yeah, probably. If my theory is correct about how topical minoxidil doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process but simply gives you a temporary cosmetic improvement in the appearance of your hair (if you're lucky) for a limited amount of time, wouldn't you consider that to be pretty much a waste of time and money? :dunno:

Jocko59

Reaction score
What links between minoxidil and premature aging are those? Are there studies showing such?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of hair loss.

If it is mostly crown area (top of head) then minoxidil alone can work wonders. I think it's fair to say that in SOME people (pretty rare) it does in fact grow new hair.

But most people will be lucky to simply maintain on minoxidil, and if you are a temple receder forget about it.

Obviously including finasteride makes the minoxidil that much more efficient.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
treeshrew said:
But most people will be lucky to simply maintain on minoxidil...

I give up.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I might just give up then. My temples are receding, I'd say they are at about a norwood 2, but I also seem to have diffuse thinning as well :(

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
BornIn89 said:

Ummm....yeah, probably. If my theory is correct about how topical minoxidil doesn't really interfere with the fundamental balding process but simply gives you a temporary cosmetic improvement in the appearance of your hair (if you're lucky) for a limited amount of time, wouldn't you consider that to be pretty much a waste of time and money? :dunno:

I used minoxidil alone when my temples first started receding. It gave me a perfectly straight hairline throughout my college years. Sure I've lost all that hair now, but I had great hair for 4 of the most important years of my life. I think it was worth every penny and all the time.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want to mess with my hormones. IMO from reading these forums finasteride seems to pay off for a lot of people who take it but I'm not willing to take the risk with the side effects...

Nene

Reaction score
BornIn89 said:

What links are there b/w minoxidil and aging? You sound like you're being a huge wimp. If you're afraid of meds just go bald dude.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
BornIn89 said:

What links are there b/w minoxidil and aging? You sound like you're being a huge wimp. If you're afraid of meds just go bald dude.

I meant premature skin aging btw. I've read lots of stories on the internet about how people have developed wrinkles and such after using minoxidil for a while. I believe there have been studies that show minoxidil inhibits collagen sythesis.

Nene

Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
Nene said:
BornIn89 said:

I meant premature skin aging btw. I've read lots of stories on the internet about how people have developed wrinkles and such after using minoxidil for a while. I believe there have been studies that show minoxidil inhibits collagen sythesis.

Hey man, I hear you. You gotta understand that there are always risks with drugs. You gotta asks yourself whats worse? Looking old from going bald or looking bald from these potential wrinkles you could get from minoxidil?

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if what I keep reading on here is right, I'll go bald soon if I use minoxidil or not!

Nene

Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
Well if what I keep reading on here is right, I'll go bald soon if I use minoxidil or not!

LOL. Good point. Well minoxidil certainly isn't going to keep you from going bald, but as part of the big 3, it may very well help you keep your hair for years to come.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Nene said:
BornIn89 said:

Balding looks to me like premature aging.. Take your vitamin C with your Protein/Amino acids everyday and you won't have any problems with collagen synthesis at all..