Am I taking a safe combination of Vitamin Supplements?

burning

Reaction score
I have been taking the following vitamins for almost 5 years now, and it seemed to be working rather well. About a year and a half ago,
I added even more and in the last month, more still.

My question is about the safety of the combination of all of these together. Everything that I am taking is because of research I have
done over the course of time, stating that these would help in some way. It all seemed to be really helping for a long time, but this year
I have noticed big changes, and in the last month, it's gotten worse, so I am trying to determine if I have a toxic combination going
on here:

For 5 years:

Vitamin C: 1,000mg
folic acid: 400 mg (discontinued earlier this year)
Magnesium: 250mg
Vitamin D2: 1.25mg (50,000 unit) every other week (aprx 3 years)
Fish Oil Capsules (discontinued and now take bottled cod liver oil, 1-2 spoonfuls a day)

For 2 years:

Vitamin E: 400 IU
B12: 500 mcg
Niacin: 100 mg
PABA: 500 mg
B6: 100 mg
Pantothenic Acid: 250mg

For less than one Month:

Biotin: 5,000 mcg
ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops
Saw Palmetto: 450 mg 3x daily (w/meals)
Ginkgo Biloba: 3x daily (w/ meals)

Also, for depression earlier this year I was prescribed
Methylfolate 10mg (5-MTHF)

In addition, the last 3 years my diet has changed for the better. I eat as much whole foods as I can. Whole grain, brown rice,
almonds, walnuts, avocados, fish, sardines, and all the other foods they say are good for your hair.

But suddenly I noticed this year major changes in my hair and this past month I can't even keep up with the changes.
I went out and bought biotin, trace mineral drops and saw palmetto to see if it would help and some Nizoral and Pura d'or argan oil shampoo
and it seems like things are getting worse, not better. I know I should be patient and that it could take months, if not a year to see
results, but I am still concerned.

However, my main question is: Am I taking a safe combination of vitamins and supplements?

RisingFist

Reaction score
Try concentrate 40,000 volts instead. It should help with relaxation and depression. For Cod liver oil, I recommend green pasture. For Vitamin D, usually people take D3, but the cod liver oil might have enough anyways so you might be able to throw that one away. The rest of the vitamins depends on the source and the kinds of fillers it has. Diet will also depend on your food sensitivities, what you may be deficient of etc. Keep researching and learning.

JealousOfMyVellus

Reaction score
In addition, the last 3 years my diet has changed for the better. I eat as much whole foods as I can. Whole grain, brown rice,
almonds, walnuts, avocados, fish, sardines, and all the other foods they say are good for your hair.

A regular diet consisting of Almonds, walnuts, avocados could very well be your problem. These foods are well known around the body building community for boosting testosterone and could be speeding up your hair loss.

Also I'm no expert but I don't see anything wrong with your vitamin/supplement regiment. If however you are still worried about toxicity then I would start with the Trace Minerals as your body needs very little of these and you will most likely be getting more than enough through your diet. It is also next to impossible to know the actual concentration when taken in a liquid like that.

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
"ConcenTrace" is a waste of money for sure. Take a B-vitamin-complex rather than specific B-vitamins. Specifically for hair you'd want combinations like resveratrol/curcumin and isoflavones/egcg. Also (colloidal) silica.

burning

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about the concentrace. I thought it might help having all those trace minerals in my diet. I think there's iron in there.

I was looking into the resveratrol/curcumin. Don't know anything about isoflavones/egcg. Read just a bit about silica. I'll look into a B-complex after my supply runs out; it sure would make things
easier then taking all of those.

Can you send link to article on (colloidal) silica?

As far as the diet consisting of Almonds, walnuts and avocados... I've read some many articles online advocating these foods for hair and keeping hair from turning grey. This is the first
I've heard of them boosting testosterone and speeding up hair loss. I don't eat a ton of walnuts, as they're expensive. I usually add them to my oatmeal on a sunday and to some other things,
but not like a cup a day or anything. Almonds I eat more frequently, sometimes a handful or more a day, but then, sometimes I miss a day. I do however use almond milk everyday for breakfast with
cereal. I 'm confused on this. I'll have to research what you're saying.

What resveratrol/curcumin do you use? Can you send link?

burning

Reaction score
What brand of curcumin / resveratrol do you suggest, and at what mg each do you suggest?

thanks

burning

Reaction score
Well, I felt like my original line-up of supplements and so forth was working for many years, but things changed this year and I am trying to adjust.

I have added these in the past 2 months:

Biotin: 5,000 mcg
ConcenTrace Trace Mineral Drops
Saw Palmetto: 450 mg 3x daily (w/meals)
Ginkgo Biloba: 3x daily (w/ meals)

and just added the silica (Bamboo extract 1x daily)
and stinging leaf nettle (1x daily)
and am waiting for a few other things which I will try:

curcumin / resveratrol

I am also doing at least once a week apple cider vinegar rinse on my scalp.

I have noticed some improvement on the condition of my scalp.
I feel as though I am making some positive improvement.

I need to research:
isoflavones/egcg

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow. (eyes grows larger by the minute reading that grocery list of vits.) Best thing consult a pharmacist. Or two.

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Canada eh? Here, the fda and even customs holds back anything shady. Still, you need common sense. Think before you act.

I have a series of tips in my thread In the success forum. I also met with a natural pathic doctor. I took milk thistle for my liver after Accutane. I use a zinc citrate supplement and a good multi. I drinks 3.5-4L of water a day. I use a vegan protein supplement. Its all from natural greens. I am also looking into a dht blocker.

http://m.folica.com/brands/shen-min/view-all

All of this helps but, if you are going bald, that is it. You can help slow it but, the inevitable awaits. Accept it. Check my thread.