Am I safe for a while?

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss is pretty common on my dad's side of the family. By common, I mean every guy had some very noticable hairloss by 18.

My grandfather was a NW2.5 at 20 (that's the earliest picture I can find of him)
My father was a NW1.5 (maybe closer to NW2) at 18, NW3 by 25 and NW5 by 32.
One uncle was a NW2 at 17 and pretty close to a NW6 by 27.
My other uncle was the same.
My aunt has 2 sons, both of which had some deep recession at 18 and were NW3 by 25.

My mother's side is much better. Most men keep very thick hair all their lives. A few men on my grandmother's side had a little thinning in their late 50's.

I'm 19 with a juvenile hairline (not uncommon for my mother's side of the family) and no thinning anywhere. I check every hair that I find and they all seem to be the same thickness all the way through. I don't have much shedding either. I lose at most 2 hairs in the shower and notice maybe another 2 or 3 falling out over the rest of the day.

My question is: have I dodged the bullet? I know there's no way to know for sure, but would you say there's a good chance I got this gene from my mother's side? I was told on a different forum that with hairloss that common on my dad's side there's no way I was going to escape it so I've been horrified for several years over it.

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
Your story is identical to mine, but it seems like you dodged it indeed and I didn't. Since I had been slowly recessing since 17 I am/was a full NW2 at the age of 19. If I were you I would stop worrying and make pictures every half year, if there is ever any thinning whatsoever you can take it from there. For now, enjoy your full head of hair and be thankfull.

Reaction score
I'm 26 and I have a brother who's 17 and I can already see he's losing his hair. Sadly, he already has the hairline as I do. I think it's because of the illegal drugs he takes and also, maybe because he doesn't eat well.

On the other hand, my second brother has an AWESOME hairline! He's 18 and has no signs of a receding hairline. My mom's dad is completely bald and so is my mom's brother (uncle). So more than likely, that's where I got it from.

Damnit, too bad I didn't get my dad's side when it came to hair. Head full of rich healthy and strong hair. At age 55, STILL HAS NO GRAY HAIRS! A hairline that says,"No male pattern baldness here!". My 18 year old brother hit the jackpot but I know I gotta live w/ this.

The point of all this is, if all signs lead to you dodging a bullet then...my friend, YOU'RE IN LUCK!!!

LIVE LIFE male pattern baldness FREE!!!

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
you are safe
but beware

the enemy is never far
he hunts you
day and night

he is like your mom
but less sexy
and more into hair

these are the facts
respect them
or lose me

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Autumn Sundown said:
I lose at most 2 hairs in the shower and notice maybe another 2 or 3 falling out over the rest of the day.

Dude, that's impossible. If you're not counting the hair on your 4th shower at the same day.

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
ivangennaro said:
Autumn Sundown said:
I lose at most 2 hairs in the shower and notice maybe another 2 or 3 falling out over the rest of the day.

Dude, that's impossible. If you're not counting the hair on your 4th shower at the same day.

Huh?

I know everyone loses around 100 hairs a day, my point was I'm not shedding in excessive amounts. I only notice 1 or 2 hairs falling out in the shower (I check my hands after I'm done shampooing and look in the tub when I'm cleaning it.)
Obviously no one notices all the hair they lose, that would be impossible. I mean I'm not shedding any more than what would be considered average.

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Autumn Sundown said:
ivangennaro said:
[quote="Autumn Sundown":1vyb5tg8]I lose at most 2 hairs in the shower and notice maybe another 2 or 3 falling out over the rest of the day.

Huh?

I know everyone loses around 100 hairs a day, my point was I'm not shedding in excessive amounts. I only notice 1 or 2 hairs falling out in the shower (I check my hands after I'm done shampooing and look in the tub when I'm cleaning it.)
Obviously no one notices all the hair they lose, that would be impossible. I mean I'm not shedding any more than what would be considered average.[/quote:1vyb5tg8]

I don't think that's possible. Maybe you're not counting right, etc. I was having 10+ each time I did shampooing when I was a kid, you know, before adolescence. After seeing hairs in my hands, I remember myself running towards to the living room naked and wet, whining to dad "Am I going bald? Am I going bald like my uncle?" when I was about 10, LOL. I still have 10+ on each shampooing so totally around 30 in each shower. Not that I count every single hair in every shower, but yep, I did it several times, LOL. I think that's normal since I'm used to it. I'm 19 and no signs of balding...yet.