Am I out of my mind for feeling the need for a transplant?

computer

My Regimen
Reaction score
[PHOTOS PROVIDED]
I'll try to sum this up to make this quick and less time consuming as possible.
- Currently 20 years old.
Been taking Finasteride 1mg for a little over 18 months (no side effects)

Current regimen:
Finasteride 1mg (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
Dutasteride 0.5mg (Tuesday, Friday) [Was taking daily but noticed side effects 2 months in so I cut back]
Equate Minoxidil 5% (Twice a day) [Liquid]
Supplements: Biotin, Vitamin D3, Iron, Iodine.

Last couple months I've noticed the hair loss progress more than it ever has. I've been getting absolutely attacked and loosing hair from not only the top, but also sides and below the donor area. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from DUPA. My question is, by what these photos show, me being only 20 years old, and with my current regimen, am I ignorant for saving up money for a hair transplant (FUT because I don't want to over harvest what's left of my donor area) just before I turn 21. My donor area already seems to be weak as well. I don't have anyone to talk to about this topic and feel like you guys on this forum my have some helpful input besides me watching hours of youtube videos about this. I took all of these pictures in a dark room so the level of loss is more clear. I know this will be something I'm going to fight the rest of my life, but I'm still in denial of loosing my hair by my mid 20's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I blocked my face just for privacy reasons.

Attachments

• Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo 33.jpg
    Photo 33.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Photo 32.jpg
    Photo 32.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Photo 31.jpg
    Photo 31.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Photo 30.jpg
    Photo 30.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Photo 29.jpg
    Photo 29.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo 28.jpg
    Photo 28.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Photo 27.jpg
    Photo 27.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Photo 26.jpg
    Photo 26.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo 25.jpg
    Photo 25.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Photo 24.jpg
    Photo 24.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Photo 23.jpg
    Photo 23.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo 21.jpg
    Photo 21.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 167
  • Photo 22.jpg
    Photo 22.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Photo 20.jpg
    Photo 20.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo 16.jpg
    Photo 16.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo 18.jpg
    Photo 18.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo 9.jpg
    Photo 9.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Photo 15.jpg
    Photo 15.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo 14.jpg
    Photo 14.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo 10.jpg
    Photo 10.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo 8.jpg
    Photo 8.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo 12.jpg
    Photo 12.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 157
  • Photo 17.jpg
    Photo 17.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Photo 7.jpg
    Photo 7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 153
  • Photo 13.jpg
    Photo 13.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Photo 11.jpg
    Photo 11.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 169

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cut down on iodine if you’re taking a lot of it daily and only use finasteride or dutasteride. Why are you over-medicating yourself with anti-androgens, it means double side effects from two different types of drugs. Both drugs stay in the system for a long long time

I don’t know if it’s the angles or pics being taken in dark but if they’re bald spots due to genetic alopecia then you’ve quite an aggressive hairloss it seems since finasteride should’ve stopped it dead in it’s tracks. What doesn’t make sense is the hair don’t appear minitiarized

I would suggest going to a doctor and having them check it out with those machines, they can tell if it’s hair miniaturisation or some other form of alopecia.

It could also be shedding since you’re on minoxidil. Would match with the random bald spots amongst healthy thick hairs elsewhere.

My diffuse hair thinning followed a pattern, I had slight recession and strong hairline but clear thinning/miniaturised hair on crown not healthy hair like you have.

Your donor hair is also too damn weird, it looks like shock loss or over harvested but you don’t have any surgery done. If we were to believe this was the pattern, you won’t have any hair left on the back not even the horseshoe which is clearly not what happens with genetic alopecia.

computer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cut down on iodine if you’re taking a lot of it daily and only use finasteride or dutasteride. Why are you over-medicating yourself with anti-androgens, it means double side effects from two different types of drugs. Both drugs stay in the system for a long long time

I don’t know if it’s the angles or pics being taken in dark but if they’re bald spots due to genetic alopecia then you’ve quite an aggressive hairloss it seems since finasteride should’ve stopped it dead in it’s tracks. What doesn’t make sense is the hair don’t appear minitiarized

I would suggest going to a doctor and having them check it out with those machines, they can tell if it’s hair miniaturisation or some other form of alopecia.

It could also be shedding since you’re on minoxidil. Would match with the random bald spots amongst healthy thick hairs elsewhere.

My diffuse hair thinning followed a pattern, I had slight recession and strong hairline but clear thinning/miniaturised hair on crown not healthy hair like you have.

Your donor hair is also too damn weird, it looks like shock loss or over harvested but you don’t have any surgery done. If we were to believe this was the pattern, you won’t have any hair left on the back not even the horseshoe which is clearly not what happens with genetic alopecia.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree the donor area is a raise for concern since it doesn’t follow a particular hair loss pattern. I do think I either have DUPA or Alopecia Areta. Both are unfortunate. You’re correct about there being no signs of thinning as far as the top. It’s just more of small bald patches. I’m going to a dermatologist to get checked for any auto-immune issues and to get my bloodwork checked.

jimtmcdaniels

My Regimen
Reaction score
[PHOTOS PROVIDED]
I'll try to sum this up to make this quick and less time consuming as possible.
- Currently 20 years old.
Been taking Finasteride 1mg for a little over 18 months (no side effects)

Current regimen:
Finasteride 1mg (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
Dutasteride 0.5mg (Tuesday, Friday) [Was taking daily but noticed side effects 2 months in so I cut back]
Equate Minoxidil 5% (Twice a day) [Liquid]
Supplements: Biotin, Vitamin D3, Iron, Iodine.

Last couple months I've noticed the hair loss progress more than it ever has. I've been getting absolutely attacked and loosing hair from not only the top, but also sides and below the donor area. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from DUPA. My question is, by what these photos show, me being only 20 years old, and with my current regimen, am I ignorant for saving up money for a hair transplant (FUT because I don't want to over harvest what's left of my donor area) just before I turn 21. My donor area already seems to be weak as well. I don't have anyone to talk to about this topic and feel like you guys on this forum my have some helpful input besides me watching hours of youtube videos about this. I took all of these pictures in a dark room so the level of loss is more clear. I know this will be something I'm going to fight the rest of my life, but I'm still in denial of loosing my hair by my mid 20's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I blocked my face just for privacy reasons.

Do you have itching and/or flaking/dandruff on your head or even in your eye lashes?
If so, a possible connection with your hair loss might be the Demodex mites:

Because from all I've read and what I'm trying for myself is:
These mites are microscopic and considered part of our body's natural flora to have on our bodies (mostly face and head and hair) and they are very difficult to kill. They can NOT be seen with our eyes and are difficult to see under microscope. Dandruff can be considered evidence of an over infestation.
Interestingly, these mites are Not always found on our youthful healthy head full of hair human-bodies Till after our teen years they start to show up, according to what I've read. We acquire these mites from other people.

They are related to bed bugs and spiders and even the mites which cause extreme dog mange/hair fur loss. They have claws and mouths which bite. They eat our skin sebum and more(they aren't for sure).
Their population and prevalence on us people increases as we age and are found on virtually everyone who reaches age 70.
These mites have a tendency to over populate in our hair follicles and pores and can possibly cause damage. From clogged pores, enlarged pores and eye lash hair loss.
They are related to or can cause skin rosacea and eye lash blepharitis, etc. when they over populate.
In those instances, dermatologist are more and more now recommending killing them/reducing their numbers with proven tea tree oil treatments.
Scientists are still arguing and are unsure if they are friends or foe to our bodies or some kind of combination. They just don't know, they are so damn small and hard to track.
Of course there are so many organisms which support our bodies health. Yet there are others which damage us.
Also the mite's actions on each of us might be unique to different unknowns and how our body deals with them.

SO you might buy some natural tea tree oil (one of the very few things which can kill these mites, if used consistently over time in a high enough concentration 25-50%). It is an essential oil with some very unique properties.
Mix the tea tree oil with an equal amount of a skin safe oil as a carrier, such as almond or olive or avocado or coconut oil, etc.
This gives a 50% mixture because full strength tea tree oil is too strong for our skin and unnecessary and the oil helps prolong the tea tree's effect before it dries and soaks into our skin.
BTW tea tree oil is considered good for our hair and is found in a good number of hair shampoos products etc and has a minty smell.
YET these are generally over priced for what little tea tree oil they contain and probably aren't concentrated enough to kill the mites.
Shampoo is washed off, etc..So not what we want here...

Apply the mixture each night when you go to sleep (because the mites prefer to come out of hiding from our hair follicles and pores in the darkness while we sleep.
When they need to mate/breed and are most susceptible then. Apply the mixture to your scalp and also ideally your face, eyebrows, forehead, beard and back of neck.
If you accidentally get some in your eyes, then try to keep your eyes closed.
Because it will stink your eyes much less till the sting goes away.
While you are sleeping your eyes are closed anyway.
The first couple of weeks you might experience more dandruff as some of the mites, who weren't in deep enough hiding, comes out to the surface to die along with debris from your pores as some move out.
When you wake up in the morning, brush your hair out some.
I'd continue this regiment nightly for 2 months. At this point you probably have removed as many mites as possible and should discontinue this regiment.
If you see some kind of good results then consider repeating this regiment annually to keep an over population at bay.