Am I going bald?

Tropso

Reaction score
Hi,

About a couple of months ago, I noticed that the right side of my hairline (around the temple) seemed to be 1-2 centimetres further back than on the left. Today I went to have my hair cut and the hairdresser confirmed my suspicions.

However, she said that there was no thinning around the crown and that she thought it may be a result of the way I combed my hair. She claimed the side of her hairline away from which she used to comb her hair had receded so she now combs her hair the other way. I don't often comb my hair, but I've had a bad habit for about 10 years of fiddling with and tugging at my fringe and I wondered if it could be that. She said she hadn't noticed my hair being like that before though, and the last time she cut my hair was about 6 months ago.

Neither of my granddads had male pattern baldness, at least not til they got very old, and my dad's hairline may have receded a bit as he got older, but he didn't have a bald patch.

If my hairline is receding, is it possible it will stop receding by itself? Have I got male pattern baldness which will lead to thinning around the crown? Or have I been unwittingly yanking my hair out?

I'm in my mid-twenties. I have a high forehead so I tend to have a long fringe, which means it isn't immediately noticeable. Other people I've asked to have a look claim they don't really notice anything. Since having my hair cut I've looked at various pictures of men's hairlines and they often seem to be a bit uneven, although you'd never say they look like they're balding.

You must get millions of these threads, so thanks in advance for any replies.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
You won't lose hair from combing too much.
A lot of people who don't have male pattern baldness lose their juvenile hairline during puberty (the thin blondy hair in the temples), but this loss is very minimal.
Post pics and wait for judgement !

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
These are some tips for caring hair

1.A wide-toothed comb should ideally be used to gently detangle hair and then the regular fine-toothed comb may be used to style the hair as per one’s need. This will reduce the risk of hair breakage and hair fall while combing. 2.It is best not to comb the hair while it is wet as this leads to greater chances of hair breakage and fall. Let it be dry or semi-dry before combing.
3.Do not rub your hair vigorously with towel. This will only lead to unwanted hair breakage. Use the towel instead to gently soak out excess moisture.
4.Clean your combs every week. If you look closely, you will see that combs become dirty over time; so they need to be cleaned with a brush, soap and water as using a dirty comb continuously can lead to hair fall as well. You can do this easily while taking a bath or shampooing each week. This is a necessary precaution to take for hair fall control.
5.Hot oil treatments is one of the best answers to address the problem of hair fall!
6.Try to switch to shampoos that are sulfate, silicone and paraben-free to avoid loading the scalp and hair with harsh chemicals that damage hair, making it brittle and more prone to breakage. Controlling chemical damage is certainly a sure shot way to ensure hair loss prevention.
7.Wash your hair at least every 3 days with a gentle hair cleanser or shampoo to remove all accumulated dust, dirt, oil and bacterial build up. Keep it clean at all times to avoid hair fall due to unclean scalp and infections.
8.Do not subject your hair to frequent chemical treatments, excessive blow drying, ironing and coloring as these can lead to hair loss.
9.Hair styles such as wearing tight ponytails, pigtails or braids on a daily basis, using elastics and rubber bands to pull back hair tightly can cause hair fall.
10.You can drink natural juices to counter hair fall. An ingredient from our kitchen can effectively help to tackle hair fall problems

Hum, sorry but except .8 and .9 (and you'd really have to do it too much), I doubt any of this has any effect on male pattern baldness.