Am I Going Bald Or Am I Just Overreacting To Something Which Is Normal?, 21 Yo Male

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
as far as family history goes, my mom says no one on her side of the family went bald to her knowledge, including cousins, and my uncle. from my dad's side i think some people did, but not him and he's thinning at a very late age. my scalp looks normal and these are pictures of the right side of my head/temporal point area. my mom, who knows a lot about hair and cuts my hair for me says it looks the same as last time she cut it, and times before that, from what she remembers at least. i also remember freaking out about the same area when i was 19, i don't think much has changed. my mom also mentioned that my continuous touching it (because i compulsively have to go check it often, because i can't really calm down about this because of how little i want to bald) is probably making a normal area of my head look thinner, she's also mentioned that there are hairs growing there, tiny ones. i also have a cowlick, and this side of my head is more forward than the the other, that's at least how i put it. there isn't any thinness on the left side of my head that worries me at all really, and i can see my scalp more through the right side. all the hair i pull out of my head, or that falls out that i look at, has the white bulb at the end. thank you for reading, i know you guys get lots of threads like this and it's probably a pain. i just want to know if this looks normal, and hopefully learn that i have nothing to worry about and i'm just making my normal hair worse through nerves or something. i'm typically an on edge person, i don't know if this would have anything to do with this.
stupid2.jpg

stupid3.png

Chemichal Castration

My Regimen
Reaction score
it looks receded to me from the second picture. You need to be aware of the hair you shed. If you are indeed losing hair, its important to start working on it asap.

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
it looks receded to me from the second picture. You need to be aware of the hair you shed. If you are indeed losing hair, its important to start working on it asap.
does this at all look like a "natural" as in not alarming recession or is this bad looking. again i can't tell if i'm running my fingers through this area too much disturbing hair and ripping out too many or not. do you know if that's a common occurrence. does the whole of my hairline look receded? thank you for responding

Chemichal Castration

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you provide other pictures? Its hard to tell. Try different angles of both sides. Like one on each side, one front and one top.

Do you notice your hair thinner/less density?

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you provide other pictures? Its hard to tell. Try different angles of both sides. Like one on each side, one front and one top.

Do you notice your hair thinner/less density?
ok so here are 4 more pics, they go from top view, front view, a shot of my left side, and then my right side again
top.jpgfront l to r.jpgleft side.JPG right side again.jpg

any density i see gone just seems to be on my right side but i honestly don't remember if it was like this before or not, like i say my mom said it is but she might just be being nice to me, although i imagine she would tell me if i seemed to be losing hair in a clear pattern. it's worth noting she has been involved with lots of men who were either bald or balding, so she probably has a better read on this stuff than i would but i still want lots of opinions. i can't tell if these look bad for me or not honestly.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad to me. Your getting older, yes and the hair is changing, yes... Just monitor it for now.

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad to me. Your getting older, yes and the hair is changing, yes... Just monitor it for now.
have you ever seen stress hair loss in an area like this? i'm not exactly ripping my hair out in that area but for a few weeks now i'm touching it a lot and pulling on it to try and examine my hair ends, and see if they have bulbs, or just to feel if it's any "thinner" and for a while recently it didn't feel thin at all really, only looked that way. at this point it feels a little thinner, does that sounds like me ruining my own hair?

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it could be the start. started for me in the same way. could easily pull out some hairs. two 1/2 years later im still shedding like hell and lost almost all my density. btw only one grandpa is balled and my dad is a solid nw2.
Just keep an eye on it and try not to stress to much about it. I lost 2 years of my life, a girlfriend and much more because I became so obsessed with it.

Chemichal Castration

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your hairline is normal, there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the meantime. Doesn't look receded imo and you seem to have a nice density as well.

Sometimes there are other causes of hair loss and bad hair besides Androgenetic Alopecia like stress, lack of sleep, eating habits, lack of nutrition, etc. Just be aware of the hair you shed in the pillow, shower, but I think you are good :)

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your hairline is normal, there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the meantime. Doesn't look receded imo and you seem to have a nice density as well.

Sometimes there are other causes of hair loss and bad hair besides Androgenetic Alopecia like stress, lack of sleep, eating habits, lack of nutrition, etc. Just be aware of the hair you shed in the pillow, shower, but I think you are good :)
thank you, those other causes might be more likely because i've been sleeping poorly lately and that's made me more stressed about work, the worrying about hair thing is its own stress and like i say i'm pulling on it more probably making it worse.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man, I think you're balding. The uneven hairline is a big sign in my opinion, I might be wrong though

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man, I think you're balding. The uneven hairline is a big sign in my opinion, I might be wrong though
i'm fairly certain it's always been uneven to some degree, i've always had a cowlick at the front

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
have you ever seen stress hair loss in an area like this? i'm not exactly ripping my hair out in that area but for a few weeks now i'm touching it a lot and pulling on it to try and examine my hair ends, and see if they have bulbs, or just to feel if it's any "thinner" and for a while recently it didn't feel thin at all really, only looked that way. at this point it feels a little thinner, does that sounds like me ruining my own hair?
Yes. Calm down.
You are in right place.
Stress sucks. Shedding sucks.
There's a million stories about shedding.
Read some stories and see that there is always a repair after the shed.

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Calm down.
You are in right place.
Stress sucks. Shedding sucks.
There's a million stories about shedding.
Read some stories and see that there is always a repair after the shed.
thank you. i'm gonna stop touching my hair so much. it's likely that by next month it will look ok again i hope.

moumy

My Regimen
Reaction score
i made a post but deleted it the other day because i didn't want to get my anxiety up again by posting here, but i really want to know, from others, that i am not losing my hair, or that it doesn't look or sound like it.
i have been really meticulous lately in looking at the hair i lose, whether or not i'm losing a lot from certain areas, or just generally losing a lot, and i think i'm shedding pretty normally, some days there is more hair, some days there is less. i lose most of the hair i will lose w/in a day when i'm in the shower/drying my hair and by that point i'm up to 30 hairs maybe, maybe more. through the rest of the day i feel like i only lose like 30 more at most, sometimes less. the hairs are pretty random/ evenly distributed, i don't feel like i'm losing any more hair in one area than any other, i do pull tests (too much, probably) and i'm not pulling an hair out easily, especially at my temples where i am most worried. what does worry me are the hairs that i get are sometimes shorter and thinner looking than others, but that might just be normal.
my hair is not any more difficult to handle, i did notice this "dip" in the side of my bangs but i quickly realized that this is something that has always annoyed me and seems to be common in men with bangs, that on either side of the head there is a bit of a dip because some hair might be higher up. when my hair is down it definitely looks the same as it always has for the most part.
i have noticed, in the areas i am worried about, tiny hairs growing, they are pretty thin (the individual hairs) and somewhat colorless but i have noticed that they are growing longer, and getting color.
are baby hairs the same as miniaturized hairs?
my mom looked at my hairline and told me that the areas i'm worried about, everyone has, thinner edges of hair and towards the hairline, hair being generally thinner. she gave me bio oil and it sort of makes me less anxious and makes my head feel better.
i have been pulling my hair back so much that my scalp is sensitive, and there are red spots, i feel headaches from my repeated self inspection at times. does that sound like i am causing my own traction alopecia or mechanical hairloss?
my hair related anxiety has "moved around" sort of, i became worried about my right side first, then my left side, then my crown area (which looks and feels normal) and then my right side again. i am going to post new pictures now, they are from the top, the front, front w/ my wrinkles, my left side, and my right side twice. these were taken yesterday and today.
IMG_9340.jpg IMG_9341.jpgIMG_9343.jpg IMG_9333.jpg IMG_9334.jpg IMG_9345.JPG
if you just read this without commenting or caring really, i am still thankful, i'm not especially sure why. my anxiety about this has been really horrible, and this isn't the first time i was worried about hairloss, but it's not unlike me to get horrifically worried about having cosmetic problems, and until i forget about them or the worry just disappears i sort of obsess. i feel like i look worse than people say i look. i don't want pity i would just like to express as much of this as possible to others so they can give me some better answer maybe.
thank you for reading, and thank you to everyone who responded already.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
A few have already responded. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
But just for your sanity, I know the obsession: Looking in the mirror, in glass, on shiny surface, trying to catch a glimpse and see that under different light it looks OK and other light not so good.
Unfortunately you are going to drive yourself insane.
I'm not sure how long you've been "worried" but after a year, or longer it won't bother you as much because you will be "used to it".