Am I Diffuse Thinning Or What Is Going On? (22m) (6 Month Comparison)

zozo401

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really appreciate any insight into this matter. About 6 months ago I started to notice hairloss (previously I had none), I suspect it was due to Telogen efflivium as I went through an extremely stressful shock period a couple of months before. Anyway, I had been freaking out ever since constantly pulling and running my fingers through my hair which I think made everything so much worse. Now what I want to know is, is this really Telogen Effluvium or is it diffuse thinning? If I leave my hair alone (and I'm trying very hard to) then no hair will fall out, even if I run my fingers through every now and then nothing happens, but the thing is, I can now notice that I've lost a bit of density on the front of my hair and it looks a bit different. I also know that there is hair (same thickness) growing in place of the lost hair but these little hair seem to fall out too. Is this classic diffuse thinning or is it just Telogen Effluvium that's being made worse by me obsessing over it and pulling/running my fingers through my hair?

Here are some pictures, the lightning is different and the length is different but I hope to be able to give a sense of my hair.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 6 month ago.PNG
    6 month ago.PNG
    588.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 6 months before.jpg
    6 months before.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 6month before.PNG
    6month before.PNG
    615.9 KB · Views: 282
  • recent.jpg
    recent.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 230
  • recent1.jpg
    recent1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 246
  • recent2.jpg
    recent2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 247

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
was in the same situation 2 years ago. Thought its Telogen Effluvium but my shedding never stopped. I have still some Hair but heavily decreased density.
Just take pictures every couple of weeks and look if you can see some change. Try to stop running your hands through your hair. I know its hard and im still doing it, but this sh*t took 2 years of my life and put me in so much stress. I lost a lot because of my obsession.
Watch your hair and get on meds if necessary.

zozo401

My Regimen
Reaction score
was in the same situation 2 years ago. Thought its Telogen Effluvium but my shedding never stopped. I have still some Hair but heavily decreased density.
Just take pictures every couple of weeks and look if you can see some change. Try to stop running your hands through your hair. I know its hard and im still doing it, but this sh*t took 2 years of my life and put me in so much stress. I lost a lot because of my obsession.
Watch your hair and get on meds if necessary.
Are you still losing hair? Also were you losing a lot of hair (in the shower etc) or was it just when you pulled/ran your fingers?

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes my shedding increased again. Probably loosing about 200 hair a day. Could be more. Im loosing them every time i touch my head.

zozo401

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes my shedding increased again. Probably loosing about 200 hair a day. Could be more. Im loosing them every time i touch my head.

So does the shedding come and go in terms of how much? Mine has pretty much stopped now but when I run my hands with force I see 1-3 fall. My scalp is also kind of inflamed near the front (do you think it’s from all the pulling or could it be some infection)?

Also, could you feel your hair grow back wherever you were losing it (same thickness and all) or did it just never grow back again?

Thank you!

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
tbh i don't really know. im shedding at least 50-100 hair for the last 2 1/2 years. Some times more, but it never really stopped.
Have you been to a derm already ? If not, go and see one, he should tell why your front is inflamed. Im unfortunately not an expert and can only share my experience.
I think some hair grew back, but some miniaturized really quick. Just keep an eye on your hair, but don't obsess. trust me im still doing it and it costs so much energy and changed a lot in my life.
Like i said, keep an eye on your hair, take some picture from time to time, see a derm and if you have the feeling it gets worse, try finasteride or something.
I Just had another look at your pics and im sorry to say that, but its look you're diffusing. Hows your dads hair or grandparent hair ?

zozo401

My Regimen
Reaction score
My granddad and a couple of people on my mothers side have diffuse thinning. Do you have the same thing? Is diffuse mostly genetic like baldness?

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually only my paternal grandpa is balled. He's now a nw6 i guess. Maternal grandpa started diffusing in his 50. None of my uncles are balled, neither is my dad. Some people have just bad luck.

I think almost every hairloss is genetic. People always try to deny it, so did I. You could be one out of a thousand, where the hairloss is related to other things.
But so many people are saying stress could be one reason. I f.e. had a lot of stress in my late teen years and never lost any hair. Look at some homeless people.
I don't know man. I might be the wrong person to talk to. Going through a rough time as well, so you probably won't get the most cheering advice out of me. Wish you all the best, though.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is see a dermatologist. Since it is diffuse thinning it could be lots of different things: stress, thyroid issues, a severe vitamin deficiency, or genetic balding. Thus seeing a dermatologist who can do an exam as well as a blood test to check for thyroid/vitamin issues.

If it is stress, it apparently can take 6-9 months for your hair recover (3 for the shedding to stop, 3-6 to regrow) from the point the triggering stress event has been dealt with. Thus why seeing a dermatologist is important, as if it is just stress they can confirm that and thus you can stop worrying.

zozo401

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, I got something like a little bump and it itched like crazy on two sides of my head and it consequently lead to me scratching a lot of hair off... I must say that at first the hair loss was at the crown area and I lost a lot there but now it has grown back and the loss started at front...

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds a bit suspect. Could be genetic diffuse thinning, could be something else. Basically, a dermatologist (specfocally one that specializes in hair) would need to tell you what it is.