Am I Balding Or Is It Stress Related?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
In the last 2 -3 months I have noticed some thinning on my crown. I've visited a GP and without properly looking at my hair they said it was just stress since my hairline was still fine. But I have noticed more thinning around my crown with a slight burning and itchy feeling around the place where it is thinning. Around the time the thinning began I was going gym everyday and had lost a lot of weight quickly including changing up my diet and was going through a large amount of stress thanks to work but recently I have managed to cut everything down, I am only 19 so this is a big concern for me right now.
Thanks in advance.

hair1.jpg hair2.jpg hair3.jpg View attachment 103715 View attachment 103716 View attachment 103717

Last edited:

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
You'd need to upload a side picture so we can evaluate where your ear is in relation to your temporal recession. This will allow a proper determination of your hairline.

However, I'd make an educated guess that you're at least a Norwood 2 with vertex thinning. If you have a burning and itchy feeling around the place where your hair is thinning, then it's very likely male pattern baldness. This happened to me earlier in the year. I'm 37 and had a Norwood 3 with vertex thinning.

Obviously it may very well be stress so definitely see your GP again. However, if it's not stress, all is not lost. Finasteride and Minoxidil will very likely improve your situation. A change and diet will likely help too.

I've gone from a Norwood 3 with vertex thinning to a strong Norwood 2 with very little crown thinning as a result of Finasteride and Minoxidil.

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely better than I thought on first reflection. You've got a strong Norwood 2 hairline with fairly minimal recession.

Crown thinning is always a worry - as that's generally the first sign of male pattern baldness.

Have another meeting with your GP and see what they have to say.

If it's the start of male pattern baldness, bite the bullet and get on Minoxidil and Finasteride asap. These medications can be obtained fairly cheaply.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isnt stress related hairloss. You have a little bit of recession and a diffused crown. If you shave to a #1 guard buzzcut you will be able to see a full diffused pattern on top probably in nw6 pattern that will show more years from now. Do you have a strong family history of young balding?

The burning in the scalp feeling is due to inflammation from DHT f*****g ur sh*t up. Does it also feel a bit warmer in those burning areas?

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are balding man sorry. It’s patterned alopecia so not stress related. Unfortunately your gp is wrong, find a new one and discuss possible starting propecia. Rogaine would also do wonders for your crown

Hair ball

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair loss follows a specific pattern, so it's definitly due to androgenic reasons. If you want to keep your hair for as long as possible, you need to take a DHT blocker (finasteride or dutasteride). You can add minoxidil to further stimulate the growth, but you need a DHT blocker.
If I were you, I would take these drugs as soon as possible. We never know how fast our hair loss progression can be in the futur. Furthermore, in the original studies of finasteride, the group of people receiving the placebo for one year, and then finasteride for the other years, were not able to catch up in hair counts those who were receiving finasteride from the beginning. So the earlier you begin the treatment, the better it is.

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad's family lost their hair young but maintained it for a few years and no hair loss on mother's side

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad's family lost their hair young but maintained it for a few years and no hair loss on mother's side
You are taking after your dads side hair like most guys do (anecdotal). What di you mean they maintained for a few years?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are taking after your dads side hair like most guys do (anecdotal). What di you mean they maintained for a few years?

He like didnt fully go bald until around 30 and id likje to change my comment about the burning scalp, its actually just itchy and it last like a 1-2 minutes and i get like 2 or 3 times a day

Last edited:

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Might i also add i went on a severe calorie deficit to lose weight i was eating around 600 calories a day and still dont really eat that much when i should be eating around 1.5k

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
He like didnt fully go bald until around 30 and id likje to change my comment about the burning scalp, its actually just itchy and it last like a 1-2 minutes and i get like 2 or 3 times a day
It looks like you wont go fully bald until close to 30 as well.

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it would but ultimately Minoxidil doesn't stop the root cause that's attacking your scalp i.e dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Minoxidil can only do so much on its own.

Finasteride blocks DHT, Minoxidil is a Vasodilator that opens blood vessels and causes hair to grow for longer. You need both for maximum effect. Finasteride makes the environment better for hairs to grow for longer.

There's a lot of scaremongering on the internet from people who've said they've taken Finasteride and haven't. Yes, there are side effects that affect a very small proportion of people but this is the same with any medication. It's life I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry about what if's that may never even effect you. If you get a side effect, then you come off it and it's reversible. Having this level of fear about unknown side effects that may not even be relevant to you isn't logical. Take it from someone who's 18 years older, having an irrational fear like this will paralyze you in life particularly with regards to things outside your comfort zone. You could walk out of your door tomorrow and get mugged or shot or run over. No point planning for what if's that are very likely irrelevant.