Am I Balding Or Due To Excess Straightening?

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 23 years of age, never had any issues with receding hairline or thinning or what not but as of late i have taken more notice the TOP of my hairline is thinning, im quite a hypochondriac and think i may be balding.

I think important things to note is i do not take care of my hair, i straighten it full heat sometimes 2-3 times a day, use many products on it and leave in there, could the 2-3x straightening be causing the "breakage" and "thinning" or am i going bald? no real balding in my family except one of my mums brothers, the other has a full head.

here are photos.

Top of head DRY:
16466951_1383130451726616_1926112315_n.jpg

16425575_1383130401726621_657961479_n.jpg

16402009_1383130621726599_70862857_n.jpg

Sides:
16426322_1383130571726604_996827176_n.jpg

16441628_1383130518393276_1382527561_n.jpg

Top of head fully WET
16467312_1383135525059442_1391537433_n.jpg

16468865_1383135565059438_1723535178_n.jpg

16426773_1383135608392767_292399265_n.jpg

16466886_1383135678392760_1825254394_n.jpg

16443445_1383135728392755_867151944_n.jpg

And also a front on regarding hairline (dont mind the selfie loll)
16443310_1383130345059960_2018012499_n.jpg

Am i in denial and balding or should i cut my hair straight to a 1.5" and regrow and lay off straightening it so frequently.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ur hairline is perfect and you have really good density. I can see what ur talking about in a couple pictures, slightly visible scalp but otherwise I wouldn't say you are balding. You should shave your head for sure, firstly to give ur hair a break from over exposure to styling and also so you can observe your hair as it grows in because that is the best way to determine if you are thinning out or not.

Nice gains no homo

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
ur hairline is perfect and you have really good density. I can see what ur talking about in a couple pictures, slightly visible scalp but otherwise I wouldn't say you are balding. You should shave your head for sure, firstly to give ur hair a break from over exposure to styling and also so you can observe your hair as it grows in because that is the best way to determine if you are thinning out or not.

Nice gains no homo

thanks bro lol

in regards to excessive use of straightener could that be the cause of my hair breakage or "thinning? when i went to the hairdresser he said all my hair is literally fried lol

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks bro lol

in regards to excessive use of straightener could that be the cause of my hair breakage or "thinning? when i went to the hairdresser he said all my hair is literally fried lol
I don't think straighteners would cause thinning but actual breakage yes, I know of a few (although all females) friends who stopped using straightners as their hair condition became dry due to heat and then kept snapping.

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think straighteners would cause thinning but actual breakage yes, I know of a few (although all females) friends who stopped using straightners as their hair condition became dry due to heat and then kept snapping.

buzzed it quite short to assess how regrowth goes heres photos when wet, i think it may have been alot of breakage and dead hair

16469038_1384190624953932_878783844_n.jpg

16443411_1384190608287267_1735811191_n.jpg

however i have some minoxidil and nizoral 2% shampoo i will be using from now indefinitely on at the areas which i suspected were thinning (and they may very well) from now on

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
In your original set of photos it could be a sign of diffuse thinning, but when its shorter as shown in your new photos it's no longer as bad. I apologize if this comes off as rude, but are you on any performance enhancing drugs? Not implying you are on any, but they are known to cause hair loss and just wanted to cover all the bases.

To address damaging your hair consider investing in some Argan oil, as well as a proper heat protectant. The argan oil can act as a heat protectant but I prefer using it as a leave in conditioner.

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your original set of photos it could be a sign of diffuse thinning, but when its shorter as shown in your new photos it's no longer as bad. I apologize if this comes off as rude, but are you on any performance enhancing drugs? Not implying you are on any, but they are known to cause hair loss and just wanted to cover all the bases.

To address damaging your hair consider investing in some Argan oil, as well as a proper heat protectant. The argan oil can act as a heat protectant but I prefer using it as a leave in conditioner.

Yes i use PED's however in regards to PED's and their relation to hairloss they only speed up hairloss if you are genetically susceptible to it in the first place, they do not solely cause hairloss on their own.

If i am thinning i would have started thinning later on in life but because of the acceleration PED's cause with male pattern baldness it may be happening now.

however im not sure if i am just being paranoid or i am diffuse thinning, wouldn't theoretically the "thinning" be more prevalent with shorter hair than longer? it looks alot thicker when shorter than longer which is odd?

shookwun

Reaction score
You need PEDS to look skinny and vascular? :D

Have you tried eating and consistently training? Don't need PEDS to achieve your size.

shookwun

Reaction score
Mid region and crown area does look like it's thinning. Your thick hair seems to hide and disguise it well.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes i use PED's however in regards to PED's and their relation to hairloss they only speed up hairloss if you are genetically susceptible to it in the first place, they do not solely cause hairloss on their own.

If i am thinning i would have started thinning later on in life but because of the acceleration PED's cause with male pattern baldness it may be happening now.

however im not sure if i am just being paranoid or i am diffuse thinning, wouldn't theoretically the "thinning" be more prevalent with shorter hair than longer? it looks alot thicker when shorter than longer which is odd?

Actually despite what you'd believe shorter hair is actually better for thinning hair, when your hair is long thin hair caused from male pattern baldness lacks volume, as well as thickness as the hair becomes more fragile and thin, so it becomes easier to spot the difference in areas of the hair. It's why its recommended if you're balding to cut your hair short as it makes your hair look more full, and its easier to blend the thin hair with the non-thin hair.

But for you hair I mean its really hard to say at this point, if you can go in see a dermatologist. They'd be able to give a better assessment, and determine if you do in fact have male pattern baldness. I'm just giving my opinion, and I don't really know much about diffuse thinning other than that it affect generally all of your hair.

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at your latest pics I can't see much of the thinning BUT your hair definitely looks dry and possibly damaged (from the straightners). minoxidil and 2% nizoral should certainly help if you are thinning although as Derpicus mentioned a derm might be the best way to go as wouldn't be much point using them if not needed. Luckily you have thick hair which will hide thinning but best to protect it. Pure argan oil (not the branded hair serums/oils with a tiny bit of it in) is very good for that as someone mentioned

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at your latest pics I can't see much of the thinning BUT your hair definitely looks dry and possibly damaged (from the straightners). minoxidil and 2% nizoral should certainly help if you are thinning although as Derpicus mentioned a derm might be the best way to go as wouldn't be much point using them if not needed. Luckily you have thick hair which will hide thinning but best to protect it. Pure argan oil (not the branded hair serums/oils with a tiny bit of it in) is very good for that as someone mentioned

I picked up some 2% nizoral and will be using it Monday Wed Fri, i have Minoxidil but i have read upon cessation sometimes people are often times worse than before they started in terms of hairloss as your follicles become "dependant" on it or something? im not even sure if im balding to chance that.

I will stick with Nizoral and argan oil and some other oils to keep my hair healthy.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I picked up some 2% nizoral and will be using it Monday Wed Fri, i have Minoxidil but i have read upon cessation sometimes people are often times worse than before they started in terms of hairloss as your follicles become "dependant" on it or something? im not even sure if im balding to chance that.

I will stick with Nizoral and argan oil and some other oils to keep my hair healthy.
its true, minoxidil requires you to be on it for life if you plan to keep regrowth. If you really are thinning, you should be on finasteride because you don't really have anything to regrow. If and its a big if you are actually thinning, then you will need finasteride, especially when on cycle. You arn't at the point where u need to regrow anything considering you still have a perfect hairline and full head of hair. If you are thinning, finasteride will likely fix up ur entire head of hair.

Also try to stay away from harsh roids that are DHT derivatives like winny. Tren will also bring out the bald gene in a lot of people very quick. Stick with test, dbol and deca and always use finasteride on cycle.

Plakse

My Regimen
Reaction score
its true, minoxidil requires you to be on it for life if you plan to keep regrowth. If you really are thinning, you should be on finasteride because you don't really have anything to regrow. If and its a big if you are actually thinning, then you will need finasteride, especially when on cycle. You arn't at the point where u need to regrow anything considering you still have a perfect hairline and full head of hair. If you are thinning, finasteride will likely fix up ur entire head of hair.

Also try to stay away from harsh roids that are DHT derivatives like winny. Tren will also bring out the bald gene in a lot of people very quick. Stick with test, dbol and deca and always use finasteride on cycle.

Lovely advice, im a big winnie fan, i typically just use test and tren, tren seems to be OK for me, but i will stay away from winnie or any harsh DHTS unless im comp prepping or photoshoot prepping.

Im scared to use Fina because of all the horror stories.

From your perspective and advice what do you think i should do?

ATM i feel like i should just use nizoral 3x a week with argan oil ED and let my hair grow out and see what happens, if infact it seems to be thinning i will then think of a more "aggressive" approach?

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'd agree that's wise just to stick to Nizoral and Argan oil for now, I still feel most of the hair issues you have are from the extreme heat they're subjected to so it's about restoring hair health and then go from there. Best of luck!