Am I balding or do I just have a bad crown?

diadia

Reaction score
Hey guys, yes it's another "am I balding and how bad is it post". 28 year old male.

(I'd really appreciate it if people read the text before posting as it's important. On another forum people just jumped straight to the pictures).

I've never once worried about going bald. My thickness has never been too bad and my hair has barely receded, if at all. Anyway, my younger (by 3 years) cousin came over after me having not seen him for a while and he's noticeably lost a lot of hair, to the point that now he almost wears a hat everywhere. male pattern baldness hit him hard in a short amount of time.

This really shocked me, and I started wondering if my hair has thinned. It has thinned a little, but it was pretty decent to begin with. His balding is front and back, but I realized I'd never checked my crown before and that's when the panic set in. My crown (I think), is really thin, and I'd never noticed before. You can clearly see my scalp in one area.

My family tell me that it has always been that way and that I'd just never looked. It is true that I'd never looked, but I don't know if I believe that it's always been like this? My Dad has a lot of hair and my mum has a lot of hair (my cousin's Dad is almost bald). But my cousin started balding very fast as far as I know, and if there's anything I can do to stop it, then I will.

Here's the caveat to this. My Grandmother has a double crown where hair will just not sit naturally, and gives her a bald spot that I discovered she covers up with hair spray and layering hair over it (without doing this it's very obvious). And yes, it's exactly where mine is; towards the back middle and up to the back right where it meets her parting (and mine). I know Asians get cowslicks like this on their crown, but outside of my Grandmother I've never seen a Caucasian with it quite like she or I have.

Since my family realized I was panicking they've doubled down on saying that mine has been like that forever, and that now that I'm older it's just that the crown that isn't hidden as well, and it's not that I'm balding. They also say that if I was my temples would have at least receded slightly (don't know if this is true). I don't know what to think though, and I'm obsessing over this. I slightly believe them, but I wonder if thinning has finally 'exposed' it, but as I said, I've never looked so I can't tell.

My crown is pretty bad either way, I just want to know if it's male pattern baldness that is going to go through the rest of my hair or just an unfortunate crown that is what it is. Should I start fighting this on the big 3, if I don't know if there's anything to fight.

I was jumped as a teenager and as a result have scars all over my scalp, which will make me look rough as hell if I go bald and I seriously feel will hurt my career choices in the future. I don't know if I should jump on finasteride or not.

">">http://imgur.com/a/aDHsj

First picture is 20 or 15 minutes after a shower, second is 6 hours later, last is obviously my hair from the front. These are from 2 days ago, stood under a lightbulb.

Then 3 years ago and 6 nearly 7 years ago. I unfortunately have no pictures of my crown from before this year as I'd never cared to look.

http://imgur.com/a/Yvdao

onelifeonewar

Reaction score
Looks fine dude. Mine is similar but I have shorter hair. Also, darker hair tends to appear as balding on lighter skin/scalp.