Am I Balding, Maturing, Or Overreacting? (18 Years Old)

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is naturally thin and my hairline has always been rather U shaped. I don’t really appear to be balding normally and I don’t have thinning on top of my head or signs of shedding. But, when I pull my hair back with a comb or my hand on the top of my hairline I am concerned that there MIGHT be signs of thinning on my hairline.
NOTE:
TOP THREE pictures are just my normal hair style, and the BOTTOM THREE I am pulling my hair back with my hand or a comb. Is my hair balding, maturing, or am I just overreacting? Any response helps!

Attachments

• EE48FBFC-AE5C-437D-A62B-8AB1E0106B3A.jpeg
    EE48FBFC-AE5C-437D-A62B-8AB1E0106B3A.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 6073F930-BF7C-4C84-8F59-22FFEE5A4CDA.jpeg
    6073F930-BF7C-4C84-8F59-22FFEE5A4CDA.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 240
  • DF54F0FE-BCC9-4A24-9CC1-46E422B5999C.jpeg
    DF54F0FE-BCC9-4A24-9CC1-46E422B5999C.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 4DB7BD33-5C4A-411C-91E1-7A30CFE7097D.jpeg
    4DB7BD33-5C4A-411C-91E1-7A30CFE7097D.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 795AF8C2-B9D4-41EF-9ECC-2C78B7840FB0.png
    795AF8C2-B9D4-41EF-9ECC-2C78B7840FB0.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 1D6BCDB2-CF2B-4D56-A159-AC9A8999D588.png
    1D6BCDB2-CF2B-4D56-A159-AC9A8999D588.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

FBaldy

Reaction score
Bit tricky to tell considering you have that much hair, some guys can get away with it when you grow your hair out but getting a short hair cut reveals all really but even that can make things look slightly better !

Anyhow the temples appear a little thin imo its not so bad but it can be the place where hair loss can start off it did for me when when I was 18-19 but like yourself when you got bucket loads of thick hair you can kinda hide stuff or not worry too much about it.

Imo getting on finasteride is a good idea to start, its at least something to start off with and can half the hair loss but talk to your Doctor first imo

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say yes, beginning of difused hair loss. I'd try to start finasteride but half dose to begin and see if it helps.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Starting to thin from the looks of it.

You can consider finasteride however it’s a serious drug to consider . If you do start make sure you get bloods done before hand .

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Starting to thin from the looks of it.

You can consider finasteride however it’s a serious drug to consider . If you do start make sure you get bloods done before hand .
What are bloods?

treeuway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say yes, It'll take until you're 23-24 to notice but I would incline on it getting worse.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would start researching finasteride. You have time, but get your ducks in a row and decide if you want to start finasteride now. Because you will eventually have to make that decision. Sooner rather than later.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would start researching finasteride. You have time, but get your ducks in a row and decide if you want to start finasteride now. Because you will eventually have to make that decision. Sooner rather than later.
So it’s for sure balding? I have uploaded pictures of my hair to other forums who have told me it’s nothing but a little maturing. Maybe it just depends on the picture. How much longer do you think I have until I should start using finasteride, etc if I need to?

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it’s for sure balding? I have uploaded pictures of my hair to other forums who have told me it’s nothing but a little maturing. Maybe it just depends on the picture. How much longer do you think I have until I should start using finasteride, etc if I need to?
Most men will start balding sooner or later- so what I said is true nearly no matter what.

For you personally, you're 18. It's already moving a bit in the corners, which isn't good. But since you're only 18, who knows where it stops. A lot of factors. Do the research. And do yourself a favor, don't be denial if it does start going back, the only thing you'll regret is not taking action sooner.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most men will start balding sooner or later- so what I said is true nearly no matter what.

For you personally, you're 18. It's already moving a bit in the corners, which isn't good. But since you're only 18, who knows where it stops. A lot of factors. Do the research. And do yourself a favor, don't be denial if it does start going back, the only thing you'll regret is not taking action sooner.
Ok thanks. Just to clarify, I should closely monitor but wait to start finasteride until it starts receding. And I will not be in denial

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Just to clarify, I should closely monitor but wait to start finasteride until it starts receding. And I will not be in denial

Definitely keep an eye on it. See a dermatologist if it’s bugging you too much to ignore. In the meantime, there are two things to consider about finasteride -

1.) It drastically and permanently alters your hormonal balance. This is why it’s so important that your body is done maturing before you start it.

2.) It’s a lifetime commitment.

The bottom line is that finasteride is something you should only use if you are 100% sure that you’re balding. Right now, it’s impossible to determine whether or not that’s the case for you due to your hair’s density and the lack of a baseline photo from when you were younger.

Last edited:

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk. Will you be happy it the hairline creeps back a few mm's in the corners, or looks thin in the front, or both. Getting on finasteride might only stop it for now, and may not grow it back. It all depends on how you start to bald and your genetics.

If you start now, you will most certainly get a bit of that thin hair to thicken, and slow it down to an absolute crawl. It's up to you.

Wait it out, or safe than sorry.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely keep an eye on it. See a dermatologist if it’s bugging you too much to ignore. In the meantime, there are two things to consider about finasteride -

1.) It drastically and permanently alters your hormonal balance. This is why it’s so important that your body is done maturing before you start it.

2.) It’s a lifetime commitment.

The bottom line is that finasteride is something you should only use if you are 100% sure that you’re balding. Right now, it’s impossible to determine whether or not that’s the case for you due to your hair’s density and the lack of a baseline photo from when you were younger.
In terms a baseline photo of a younger me, this hairline photo is from two years ago. I have always had a U shaped hairline with relatively thin corners. I never in the past pulled my hair back like in these pictures but I don’t think my hairline hasn’t necessarily changed. Does this photo help you with your advice?

Attachments

• BB43E7DC-B3F0-4B36-9342-913A4278393A.jpeg
    BB43E7DC-B3F0-4B36-9342-913A4278393A.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 133

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk. Will you be happy it the hairline creeps back a few mm's in the corners, or looks thin in the front, or both. Getting on finasteride might only stop it for now, and may not grow it back. It all depends on how you start to bald and your genetics.

If you start now, you will most certainly get a bit of that thin hair to thicken, and slow it down to an absolute crawl. It's up to you.

Wait it out, or safe than sorry.
Ok thanks. I’m definitely going to get a dermatologist opinion before using something as serious as finasteride. I don’t want to use something that “dangerous” if I don’t need to yet, but I will definitely see a dermatologist soon.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I’m definitely going to get a dermatologist opinion before using something as serious as finasteride. I don’t want to use something that “dangerous” if I don’t need to yet, but I will definitely see a dermatologist soon.
Fair warning, most doctor's and dermotologists know sh*t on the subject. Do a lot of research along with going to a derm. Knock all of the studies around, etc. Finasteride is a fairly safe drug overall. I'd hardly call it dangerous.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In terms a baseline photo of a younger me, this hairline photo is from two years ago. I have always had a U shaped hairline with relatively thin corners. I never in the past pulled my hair back like in these pictures but I don’t think my hairline hasn’t necessarily changed. Does this photo help you with your advice?

It does. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Right now, this looks like a textbook mature hairline. Provided it doesn’t thin or recede substantially beyond where it is, you have nothing To that end, I would suggest keeping an eye on it by taking the same set of pictures every 3 months or so.

If you start to notice that your temples are receding inward and/or your crown starts to thin out, then you need to go to a dermatologist. Those two are hallmarks of early stage male pattern baldness.

Anyway, from where I’m sitting, you’re good at this point.

Last edited:

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bothering, but if I have tiny hairs on part of my hairline (like in these pictures, especially the first when Im using my hand) could this be a prime example of my hairs miniaturizing into a mature hairline Or balding? (If anyone else sees this feel free to answer)

Attachments

• 505E8CD5-66CB-46C4-A8C6-1254F74D7178.jpeg
    505E8CD5-66CB-46C4-A8C6-1254F74D7178.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 42CBADD0-80CA-4188-97B3-20D68561A482.png
    42CBADD0-80CA-4188-97B3-20D68561A482.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 130