Am I Balding At 19 Or Is This Normal?

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started freaking out about my hair senior year of high school at 18. I'm 19 now, and worry this problem will continue. The pictures of longer hair were taken about two months ago. My shaved head is recent. Tell me what you think? I've always had light hair, and I'm told it could just be maturing. Is some miniaturization normal as well? I've been taking minoxidil for the past year or so.

Attachments

• 15e47c27fa3d4c4e88ee1209644fd6af_A.png
    15e47c27fa3d4c4e88ee1209644fd6af_A.png
    504.8 KB · Views: 2,778
  • 9b1bf25e40c74c51ac823f1c45cc305f_A.png
    9b1bf25e40c74c51ac823f1c45cc305f_A.png
    434 KB · Views: 5,071
  • feb 2017 3.png
    feb 2017 3.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 2,042

shookwun

Reaction score
It looks like it's progressing, and getting far worse as the days go by.

within a decade I can foresee you being close to bald.

could be worse

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
can you take some higher quality shots with much better lighting. It would also help tremendously if you had a shaved head like you did in one of the pics. Whether you are slowly losing some at the corners or not it is extremely unlikely you will end up bald before you are 40 years of age given the quality and density of your hair. I was your age when I noticed something going on with my hairline and it looked really similar to yours and still does albeit sharper corners. I didn't do anything about it until I was 26 because it progressed at such a slow rate it took me that long to definitively know (or come out of denial however u want to look at it) that something was occurring.

Regardless, your hair is fantastic, noone would ever look at it how it is now and think you are even receding. Just keep an eye on it, you have time on your side.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
As stated above take some better shots with good lighting. I personally feel like you aren't thinning based on those photos. You're a young adult now and its quite common to lose the perfectly straight hairline that you have at a younger age, as your hairline naturally does creep back as you age. I would keep monitoring it just to be on the safe side as male pattern baldness can happen at a young age. But looks fine to me, take care.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
can you take some higher quality shots with much better lighting. It would also help tremendously if you had a shaved head like you did in one of the pics. Whether you are slowly losing some at the corners or not it is extremely unlikely you will end up bald before you are 40 years of age given the quality and density of your hair. I was your age when I noticed something going on with my hairline and it looked really similar to yours and still does albeit sharper corners. I didn't do anything about it until I was 26 because it progressed at such a slow rate it took me that long to definitively know (or come out of denial however u want to look at it) that something was occurring.

Regardless, your hair is fantastic, noone would ever look at it how it is now and think you are even receding. Just keep an eye on it, you have time on your side.
here you go, dude

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.06 PM.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.28 PM.png
    354 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.05.59 PM.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 4,243

shookwun

Reaction score
I can see your future NW5A pattern.

screen-shot-2017-02-02-at-3-05-59-pm-png.48226

norwood_scale.jpg

shookwun

Reaction score
if you continue using finasterie, most likely wont ever achieve your final pattern.

Hair is very strong, and healthy. Finasteride will maintain your hair.

I can see the pattern though, if you look closley. Forming a Triangle NW5a

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you continue using finasterie, most likely wont ever achieve your final pattern.

Hair is very strong, and healthy. Finasteride will maintain your hair.

I can see the pattern though, if you look closley. Forming a Triangle NW5a
I don't use finisteride, but I do use minoxidil.

shookwun

Reaction score
if you dont use finasteride then you will inevitably bald if pre disposed to Androgenetic Alopecia

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you dont use finasteride then you will inevitably bald if pre disposed to Androgenetic Alopecia
I took a genetic test a while back that told me I was not supposed to be going bald at all. Should I get on finasteride anyway?

shookwun

Reaction score
eh.. I am not sure.

Go see a transplant doctor, and have a miniaturization test done.

they will be able to tell you your final pattern.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You must wait. If it get worse start with finas and minoxidil, and because yoir hair are still healthy and sick you will mantein for a some yearss !

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You sure thats a NW5A pattern? The area where we can see scalp have hairs growing perpendicular to the camera lens and you can see the gradual transition as the hairs begin to angle away from the lens on either side showing a difference in density which may give the impression of a pattern?

Hoping this is the case for my sake too because mine looks the same with a shaved head. Aww shii.

austintheberg

My Regimen
Reaction score
As stated above take some better shots with good lighting. I personally feel like you aren't thinning based on those photos. You're a young adult now and its quite common to lose the perfectly straight hairline that you have at a younger age, as your hairline naturally does creep back as you age. I would keep monitoring it just to be on the safe side as male pattern baldness can happen at a young age. But looks fine to me, take care.
this is what it looks like wet with minoxidil in

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.39.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.39.12 PM.png
    421.8 KB · Views: 950

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are thinning out on top. From my experience, it always looks worse on camera but when u are in front of the mirror and can see the hair growing thickly and uniformly its pretty obvious whether you are or not, especially when its wet and you can see the hairs soak up that water revealing the general thickness of the hairshaft. I do believe the only reason you can see scalp is because the hair is growing perpendicular to the camera lens at the middle of the scalp.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is what it looks like wet with minoxidil in

Get on finasteride. Diffuse thinners like yourself are luckiest, many seem to get away with 1mg of finasteride and grow back their losses completely, even without minoxidil. Hit up the finasteride and add some DHT blocking shampoo alternated with Nizoral and you'll be laughing.