Am I A Good Hair Transplant Candidate?

Should I go for a hair transplant?

• Total voters

shinigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I am posting a pic with top view of my scalp below. I am 27 and started losing hair at the age of 17. I think I am somewhere around norwood 4-5. One doctor I met suggested me going for a hair transplant while the other asked me to stick with Dutasteride & Minoxidil.

What do you guys think? Should I be looking at hair transplant instead of wasting time/money on other treatments or should I go for Dutasteride & minoxidil?

top_view.jpg

MrHulley

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you should ever stop treatments because you get a surgery. It just means that hair you have now will disappear and you'll be left with the transplants.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should go on dutasteride if he will prescribe it, and wait 6 months then get 4000 graft hair transplant. I wouldn't waste time using minoxidil.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also a diffuse thinner just like you and I'd have to say that you won't have a full head of hair with a transplant.... yet.

You could give Dutasteride a shot, but just be aware of potential sides. If they develop then just stop taking it, if not, then you could try it out for a year and check the progress. Dutasteride has a longer half life than Finasteride and I've seen people claim it works better than Finasteride.

Diffuse thinning sucks.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are going to use Duta anyway then just stick with that and see how you progress. If you go for a transplant you could easily lose the hair you already have and end up in the same position or worse off.

See how you respond to medication first. There is a good chance you do not need surgery so you avoid risk.

Once you get past the year mark then reassess your situation.

Go to youtube and look up the work of Dr's Woods, Cole, Bernstein, and ******** as example of getting the most bang for your buck. I not recommending a doctor you need to figure that out for yourself but you want to see how a little bit can go a long way because I think it makes sense and you might too.

Woods especially has a 20 year history of just sprinkling the area with 500 fu to increase density slowly and minimally which keeps the patient safe long term. Both their donor and the recipient area by reducing shock loss. Slow and steady is always safer with surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
going for hair transplant without even trying meds is reckless, use finasteride and minoxidil first

assess situation in 6 months - 1 year

if responding well then transplant is the next move