Am I A Good Fue Candidate For Crown?

Bill-oO

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. Been a lurker and previous poster on hair loss forums for year but I've lost my account details! Thanks for all the great info out there

Can you take a look at these photos and tell me if I'm a good candidate for FUE?

I'm 35 years old and have been thinning since I was around 20 years old. I've been on finasteride, min, nizoral and around 5 years ago switched out finasteride for dutasteride. I've had 0 side effects so far and my hair has stabilized and even thickened up a decent amount.

The crown has bothered me for a few years now and had the idea of filling it in with FUE. Good idea?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 439

Bill-oO

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's some more photo's if this helps. I considered also filling in the temples slightly but on second thoughts I think I'd rather wait on doing that for a few more years. These were taken at a local Hair transplant clinic where I went for a consultation and it was suggested 1500 grafts would fill in both the crown and temples if needed.

My main questions are:

Balding as early as my 20's, but now 35 and on strong meds should I be worried about getting work done and then having further loss?

How does my donor area look, and should I be worried about FUE scarring if I cut it quite short around the sides? (Hard to answer this one I know)

Is this type of thinning in the crown a good candidate for FUE/FUT work at all?

Thanks again

Attachments

• DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 358

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are pretty much a perfect candidate but get consultation first. How long are you on meds; did it stop hairloss or progress?

SeanFUE

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d cover that crown until you can’t successfully use a concealer anymore. You still got some native hair there. Id wait till you see a bigger drop in native hair in that zone. You do not want shockloss or transections if you proceed with surgery. Sometimes it is better to limit risks so that you have a better chance at meaningful graft yield.

Bill-oO

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are pretty much a perfect candidate but get consultation first. How long are you on meds; did it stop hairloss or progress?

I've been on finasteride or dutasteride for over 10 years now and it seems to have stopped my hair loss dead in in tracks. My hair was worse 5 years ago than it is now.

I went for a consultation and was told 1500 grafts for both crown and temples would be enough. Do you think that would be enough?

Bill-oO

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d cover that crown until you can’t successfully use a concealer anymore. You still got some native hair there. Id wait till you see a bigger drop in native hair in that zone. You do not want shockloss or transections if you proceed with surgery. Sometimes it is better to limit risks so that you have a better chance at meaningful graft yield.

I've used concealers over the years but decided to stop as I was very self conscious about other people noticing I had something in my hair. Decided it wasn't worth it.

I understand what you are saying, and when I asked the same question a few years ago I was given this advice also. At this point I'm done waiting though and would really like to fill the crown in if possible. How much of an actually risk is shockloss/ transections? Does hair lost from shockloss eventually grow back? I've looked through a lot of before/ after FUE procedures and there seems to be a lot of people transplanting into areas still with native hair and they have great results

Thanks for both of your reply's!

SeanFUE

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used concealers over the years but decided to stop as I was very self conscious about other people noticing I had something in my hair. Decided it wasn't worth it.

I understand what you are saying, and when I asked the same question a few years ago I was given this advice also. At this point I'm done waiting though and would really like to fill the crown in if possible. How much of an actually risk is shockloss/ transections? Does hair lost from shockloss eventually grow back? I've looked through a lot of before/ after FUE procedures and there seems to be a lot of people transplanting into areas still with native hair and they have great results

Thanks for both of your reply's!

Bill, shockloss may be unpredictable. A surgeon who primarily deals with grafting in between existing hairs may be a good option. I’d get multiple consults.

Some folks say extraction tools do not matter, in my opinion, they may matter based on your caliber/texture of your hair. Heat, torsion, vibrations, suction may be riskier vs manual extractions for certain types of hair.

Shockloss may or may not grow back depending on how close and compressed hairs are planted and their angulation. A greatly executed whorl design at the right angle for your crown may give you a better outcome. I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a great outcome.