Am I A Good Candidate For Minoxidil?

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
New to this forum, and I'm experiencing some thinning on top (which is more prominent in my photo due to just getting my hair cut). I just ordered a six-month supply of Kirkland Minoxidil 5% liquid and am thinking of giving it a go. I'm 49 and have noticed thinning in the last several years, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over this period of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_201155480_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180606_201155480_LL.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,353

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
New to this forum, and I'm experiencing some thinning on top (which is more prominent in my photo due to just getting my hair cut). I just ordered a six-month supply of Kirkland Minoxidil 5% liquid and am thinking of giving it a go. I'm 49 and have noticed thinning in the last several years, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over this period of time.

i think it could help you. im just a few years younger than you, with a somewhat similar hair situation. it has stabilized my hair loss for the last couple of years.

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been reading up on lots of user reviews both here and elsewhere, and I'm getting a bit wary of the side effects being reported. I seem to be particularly sensitive to medications (if there are side effects, I seem to get them), so I'm getting cold feet. I may just start slowly and see how the regimen effects me.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been reading up on lots of user reviews both here and elsewhere, and I'm getting a bit wary of the side effects being reported. I seem to be particularly sensitive to medications (if there are side effects, I seem to get them), so I'm getting cold feet. I may just start slowly and see how the regimen effects me.

If you notice side effects just stop and you should be fine. No harm in trying it out.

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, I decided to give Minoxidil a try with the recommended twice-daily regimen of the Kirkland 5% liquid I purchased. I experienced no topical side effects of any kind, but noticed that it was effecting my sleep pattern, as I was sometimes waking during the night, having vivid dreams, and waking up earlier than normal. I decided to try to stick with my regimen to see if my sleep pattern would regulate, but after two weeks of continued sleep issues I abandoned my use of Minoxidil altogether.

It's now been five days since my last application and my sleep issues remain. I am only getting 4-5 hours of sleep at night and am waking up every morning early and am exhausted throughout the day. I made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow to discuss this matter with him, but I am very worried.

Last edited:

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, after about ten days my sleep returned to baseline, so all is good. I've only got a bit of thinning in the front of my scalp (my crown is lush), and I'm wondering if I should try baby-stepping it back to see if I can get some results in a targeted area. Like use half the recommended dose and only apply it to the very front instead of the entire top of my scalp, and perhaps try morning only instead of twice daily to see if my sleep will remain uninterrupted. Any advice on this proposed regimen?

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I'm going to take another run at this and start very slowly to see if I can abate the return of the side effects I was experiencing. Since it seemed to effect my sleep, I'm going to start with half of the recommended dosage and only use it once a day in the morning. If my symptoms return at this low of a dose, I'll know to abandon it completely. Sound like a good strategy?

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
i would recommend that you use your minoxidil two times a day, 1ml morning and evening.

you might experience some side effects the first weeks but they will disappear as your body adapt to the medication.

i would also add finasteride to your regime, oral or topical .

i am the same age as you are and have seen regrowth from a topical solution of 10%minoxidil and 0,1% finasteride.

remember, it takes time( expect 6-8 months before you can see a difference) and don't expect miracles.

dont stop/pause/lower your medication

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
I experienced significant side effects at the recommended dosage, so I want to try starting more slowly and see if I can work my way up.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
I experienced significant side effects at the recommended dosage, so I want to try starting more slowly and see if I can work my way up.
you can try anything, but dont expect to see results before you are on a full dosis, ang has been on a full dosis for a number of months: )

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know if you'll see much result from a lower dose. 1ml at 5% is the most popular dosage. Some people apply only once a day and use derma-rolling. One option would be to do this in the morning with some intense derma-rolling before to increase absorption (not too intense!). That way there would be a long gap before you go to bed.

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I've resumed using Minoxidil, but am using it once a day instead of the recommended twice. I don't think it's affecting my sleep like it was at twice daily, so the plan is to continue to roll at once daily for now and possibly consider ramping up to twice daily after I feel conformable at my current dose.

I saw something on the drain of my shower this morning and reached down to pick up a pretty good-sized clump of hair. I realize that shedding is a normal part of the process and a sign that the medicine is working, but argh.

Will continue to update my progress.

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
UPDATE: after the problem I had with side effects during my first trial with Minoxidil, I resumed with a 1x daily regimen back in early November. After a week or so, I escalated to the recommended 2x daily regimen, and fortunately I have experienced none of the side effects I originally did. I've continued to use keto 2% shampoo twice weekly, and just ordered a 192-count 1.5 mm. derma roller and will add this as a weekly regimen once it arrives. Will continue to post on my progress.

Euronymous

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I've been at 2x/day 5% Minoxidil for about nine months now and am pretty pleased with the results. Here are the before and after photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_201155480_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180606_201155480_LL.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20190703_183938363.jpg
    IMG_20190703_183938363.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 305