Am considering buying Lasercomb

Doom

Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying the Hairmax Lasercomb. I'm that desperate. Been on Propecia for 4 months now. Some days hair looks good, right now it looks thinner than ever. I'm also using Tricomin, MSM and even Shen Min. I can't seem to trigger any regrowth. Got a haircut a week ago and felt relief, my hair looked great, I thought I was back to normal. But it was an illusion. My hairline is firmly intact but everything behind it is getting thinner and thinner. I see the Lasercomb as a final hope to spark regrowth before accepting final defeat and starting the lifelong addiction to minoxidil. I've read everything I possibly could about the Lasecomb. So many reports that it's a total scam but then other reports make me want to believe that it's the ultimate cure. Any advice ?

:cry:

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate, not to rag on the minoxidil, but don't place all your bets on it. Have a look at my regimen - been on the finasteride and minoxidil for over 3 years. While I think the finasteride has really held things in place, I don't think I've experienced any regrowth with minoxidil. This MAY be because I'm only using it once per day - I plan to move to twice per day applications soon - however, I'd think I would have received some benefit over 3 years!!

I'd get on the minoxidil right now, and then add the unproven Lasercomb in twelve months if things are still looking grim.

I'm going through a bad patch with my hair right now - it looks thinner than ever, like you firm hairline, thinning on the crown. I've just upped to Cu peptides twice each day and will go minoxidil twice per day when I get some quick drying stuff. Bad part is I need at least 6 to 12 months to gauge whether anything is working... :roll:

Good luck, mate. All we can do is keep charging on and fight this all the way!!

Cheers

Def

Goingat20

Reaction score
Personally i dont think the laser comb will do much for you in terms of regrowth. It might slightly thicken hair, but it doesnt last. I use it once a week now just so i feel i havent wasted my money. Id do what Def said add minoxidil. One more thing i dont thnk the shen is going to help you either... Goodluck

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you been using minoxidil once a day the whole time even when you first started it?? It could be the minoxidil isnt giving you noticable regrowth but it could be keeping your hair from thinning more than it would be. Keeping it in the growing phase.

Def said:
Mate, not to rag on the minoxidil, but don't place all your bets on it. Have a look at my regimen - been on the finasteride and minoxidil for over 3 years. While I think the finasteride has really held things in place, I don't think I've experienced any regrowth with minoxidil. This MAY be because I'm only using it once per day - I plan to move to twice per day applications soon - however, I'd think I would have received some benefit over 3 years!!

I'd get on the minoxidil right now, and then add the unproven Lasercomb in twelve months if things are still looking grim.

I'm going through a bad patch with my hair right now - it looks thinner than ever, like you firm hairline, thinning on the crown. I've just upped to Cu peptides twice each day and will go minoxidil twice per day when I get some quick drying stuff. Bad part is I need at least 6 to 12 months to gauge whether anything is working... :roll:

Good luck, mate. All we can do is keep charging on and fight this all the way!!

Cheers

Def

And if youre going to use a laser comb I wouldn't really trust a 3rd party or you shouldnt try to make your own. I dont think that its going to be the exact same thing as what hairmax is offering. They sent all of their studies to be evaluated by the FDA recently so hopefully we will know if it really does anything for hairloss or not in another month or two.
I think they're the only hairloss product at the moment who is seeking FDA approval. It's a pretty big thing if they get approved.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Doom said:
I am seriously considering buying the Hairmax Lasercomb. I'm that desperate. Been on Propecia for 4 months now. Some days hair looks good, right now it looks thinner than ever. I'm also using Tricomin, MSM and even Shen Min. I can't seem to trigger any regrowth. Got a haircut a week ago and felt relief, my hair looked great, I thought I was back to normal. But it was an illusion. My hairline is firmly intact but everything behind it is getting thinner and thinner. I see the Lasercomb as a final hope to spark regrowth before accepting final defeat and starting the lifelong addiction to minoxidil. I've read everything I possibly could about the Lasecomb. So many reports that it's a total scam but then other reports make me want to believe that it's the ultimate cure. Any advice ?
For what it is worth, I use the lasercomb for 20 minutes every day, after washing with nizoral, and a lot of my hair is growing back. I have also been taking 1mg finasteride for about 19 months. I have no idea if laser helps, but it hasn't stopped the regrowth from zero.
Boru

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd seriously hold off buying the Lasercomb for now!

These things aren't cheap!

Something official (approx Dec) from their wonderful forum went something like this. " Our significant results have now been submitted to the FDA and they now have approx 3 months (could be less!) to reply."

It's April, and nothing, again!

The optimistic side of me wants to think the FDA thinks "Oh, it's not a drug, it's a device, I'm confused, give me more time!"

The pessimistic side thinks "What a gobsmackingly wonderful marketing strategy, tell people we're about to get FDA approval for 3+ years and watch these things fly from our warehouse!"

Anyway, this really can't wash for much longer.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't see how laser treatment for hairloss can meet FDA requirements, as it isn't a cure for a recognised disease. If it works, it can help to improve existing healthy hairs. Perhaps they have a short-medium term marketing strategy, misrepresenting the relevance of FDA, which could be illegal in itself. However, I use the lasercomb, because the anecdotes and basic science makes sense to me. The possibility that a bunch of con- men might be selling a useful product does not close my mind to the postive possibilities.
Boru

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
ive emailed the fda (medical devices section) if they feedback i'll let let you know

Doom

Reaction score
Money is no concern. If it works and helps my hair in the slightest, it will have been worth it. I don't expect it to completely regrow all hair. But if it made my hair a little thicker, added some density, I'd be very happy. If it re-energizes follicles that might have been on their way out, I'd be happy. Besides, I saw it on one website for just under $500 which is more reasonable to me than the official rate of $645. The way I see it, every possible weapon must be utilized.

:2gunsfiring_v1:

dorianyates

Reaction score
Doom said:

Don't ...waste of money

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just dont buy it untill we hear if it gets a yes or a no from FDA. That way if it doesnt get a yes then you didnt waste your money...if it does get a yes then you can buy it with confidence that it has a chance of helping your hair.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
lithebod said:
ive emailed the fda (medical devices section) if they feedback i'll let let you know

Good initiative, hope they respond promptly. Thanks. Boru.

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
ok so I heard back from the FDA - this was my question and their response:

[ME] Hi , I hope this is the right department im contacting but I was wondering if you could help me. A company called Lexington consistantly claims that it has sent test results on its Hairmax lasercomb device to the FDA for approval.

I appreciate any such results would be confidential however I was wondering if it would be possible to confim if in fact such a company had submitted results to the FDA for approval. The reason I ask is that this company has been making this claim for quite a while. I hope you can be of assistance in settling this matter.

[FDA RESPONSE]

In response to your inquiry below, the Hairmax has not been approved. All information on whether or not a firm has submitted paperwork for approval is confidential. The company, Lexington, is not registered with us. I am sharing your information with our Office of Compliance in case there is any follow-up action they want to take.

I hope this is helpful.

So this wasnt exactly the response I was hoping for - anyhow I have sent a follow up e-mail asking that since they are publicly stating that they are waiting for the FDA to respond in 90 days is this the correct procedure and also what the difference is between approving a device or a drug. As soon as I get the response I will share it with you guys

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice work Lithebod,

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this someday............soon!

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm yea interesting. Keep up with the FDA emails. I'm thinking about calling up lexington if its a Toll free number just to ask what the hell is up with the approval process!!

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
right so I got another response from the FDA - either my questions are not clear enough or they are being deliberately unhelpful - I mean you would think they would express some concern that a company could possibly exploiting some confedentiality loophole the FDA has as a marketing ploy....if anyone has any good ideas how I reply to this let me know. here is the communication:

[MY EMAIL] Further to my inquiry I have since revisited the Hairmax website and they are awaiting the FDA response to their data submission in March within 90 days. I enclose the link to the discussion for your reference

http://www.hairmaxforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1810

I understand you said you cannot give out information on which companys have/have not submitted information for confidentiality reasons but would it be possible for you to outline what the process is for approval of a medical device - is it the same as approving a pharmaceutical drug?

Kind Regards

[FDA RESPONSE] Both devices and drugs are reviewed for safety and effectiveness. The process is similar for them both.

Sincerely,

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Because they are selling the lasercomb in Europe, though claiming some FDA relevance, European consumer laws may apply in some way which might ensure disclosure of terms and conditions. However, it is more difficult to obtain data from a private company under the Data Protection Act than from a local authority or government department under the Freedom of Information Act. Needs some further inquiry with the medical authorities in the UK.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
So, looking at the Lexington thread, Angela states on the 2nd Feb 2006 that the 'final version' has been submitted to the FDA.

And according to Sonia the FDA has 90 days to come back with a response.

So, crunch time, let's wait until 9th May, 2006!

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just stumbled upon this - http://www.sunetics.com

Looks like yet another laser comb type device, but this one has got some supposed 'Big' name docs backing it up.

There's some impressive pics I haven't seen before, and by the looks of it they're also seeking FDA approval.

Plus looks cheaper than Hairmax.

Any thoughts?