alternatives to propecia? besides topicals or zix

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
So you're looking for another pill you can take? The vast majority of treatments shown to do anything significant for male pattern baldness are topicals. The only other systemic treatment shown to work well is dutasteride, but I imagine if you don't want to take propecia it's because of side effects/hormone alteration paranoia so you wouldn't want to take dutasteride. Side effects are more likely with it and it hasn't been around as long so we know even less about it's long term safety than finasteride.

If you're that worried about finasteride, you should use an unobtrusive topical like revivogen. I believe you can use that to maximum efficacy just once a day (unlike minoxidil).

oorphee_02

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I was indeed on propecia for 4 years and found out I can also live without it (6 months), but of course dropping was first a choice. I'd just like to find a more natural mild alternative to finasteride, let's say... to cover my back!

I can't use Revivogen as it's been the one topical I responded very badly with inflammation.... it was a no-go for me.

I was wondering about such products as this: http://www.regrow.com/aahgc2.asp

I just don't know if they are hoax or worth anything...

Please enlighten me as to finding alternatives. Thanks.

need_hair04

Reaction score
oorphee_02, your saying that you dropped propecia for 6 months until you realized that you needed it??? please add some more details about this because I am stopping finasteride as of today and I wanted to know how long it'll take to know if I need finasteride or not!!

oorphee_02

Reaction score
need_hair, I'm fine as of now, without propecia because it was a choice
after 4 years of treatments I'm almost 100% positive that minoxidil and/or finasteride helped to destroy my hairline and temples in some way, but really to a not so cute extent. I also realize that the effects were starting to fade away a lot as years went by. But that's just a personal experience.

So one day I stopped both finasteride and minoxidil at the same time, the same day.
Killer shed, I can't live without toppik for now. While I didnt really needed it before.
I did lose lots of hair... but but but, a lot of people won't talk of the regrowth thats coming afterwards.
At month 4 and slightly before you start to regain gradually a good part of what you lost... new regrowth which happens all at the same time...actually I would have dreamed to have such amount of new hair sprouting while I was following a regimen ;) only downside is I really have less hair than before...

However, those new hairs (that fell out) continue on and on to cycle and regrow.... so I'm not over optimistic, and I know I won't regain everything, (especially since my hairloss is not slowed down anymore and goes at a mild rate) but it seems to me... and I'm confident that, I'm right now recovering a good part and I pray.. the most part of what I lost in those months.

However for now they look OK terminal hairs... like they were before falling... but they should be less "strong" than what they used to be on treatment. In other words I probably altered their cycle or number of lifes by stopping treatments. They might be good for this cycle, and poor down the next. and in 2 or 3 completely gone :)

Anyway this was a choice to stop...I won't rejump on the minoxidil+finasteride boat, I'm pretty sure. Plus I feel a lot better and UNconcerned about my "hair life" now.
I don't care if I look half good half bad, with toppik you can really mask your problem so that people don't notice everything, and you convince yourself you have an afro hair :)

I'm rather planning to save money for hair transplant in a few years or a decade now... that did become my plan, if I need it: cover the shitnits which I really can, and have a job done when it becomes awfully noticeable.

I really don't want to mess with health, hormones or anything.

So back to my questions. Something natural would fit me... if anything as to fit me at all. Please enlighten me if you have any idea or suggestion :)
[/list]

eldorado

Reaction score
Ive heard of these:
NO2
some kind of japanese seaweed itself or as a pill supplement
Trax (Creatine)
Vitamin E
Iron
B-Sistrodal (like saw palmetto but many times stronger)
17-Alpha Estroidal
(The last two mess with your hormones)

I think you can find all of those in GNC