Alternative to thickening shampoo?

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner and I occasionally use thickening shampoo/conditioner. However, when I use it, the hair on the sides of my head becomes much puffier and it accentuates the loss on top. Is there a product or method I could use to avoid this? I don't want to use Toppik or anything like that. Thanks

duality8

Established Member
Reaction score
kc444 said:
I am a diffuse thinner and I occasionally use thickening shampoo/conditioner. However, when I use it, the hair on the sides of my head becomes much puffier and it accentuates the loss on top. Is there a product or method I could use to avoid this? I don't want to use Toppik or anything like that. Thanks

Couldn't you just use it on the top and a regular shampoo on the sides?

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
A thickening gel/cream/mousse :dunno:

I have yet to try this..they first came out with a cream that worked good but was tricky to use: http://www.livingproof.com/buy/full-thickening-mousse

Why was it tricky to use? I recently ordered and started using Marc Anthony thickening creme because it got such good reviews on ulta.com. In the directions, it says to put the creme in and then blow dry. My hair still looks about as thin as if I had just used a blow dryer alone. My search continues.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
BritishUser said:
Why not just get your hair cut a bit shorter at the sides?

That's a good point and I usually do, but sometimes I go a while without getting my hair cut. I should probably get it cut more frequently.

I have found something that achieves the effect I desire, which is better scalp coverage. I've realized that thickening shampoos and whatnot actually seem to make scalp coverage worse because it makes my hair stick up. I now mix 1/3 apple cider vinegar with 2/3 green tea (at the same concentration of a normal cup of tea) together and use it as a conditioner. Apparently you shouldn't use it everyday though because of the acidity. It has also eliminated some minor dandruff that I had and it makes my hair look a lot healthier too.