Alternative energy bubble is next

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
Bryan said:
I want to emphasize the point I made before by pointing out that the statement above is equivalent to saying: "Batteries have to pass a point where they can be produced on a large scale reliably."

See my point? :) Batteries are just a way to STORE energy, and so is hydrogen. You can't go "mining" for batteries to power the nation, and neither can you do that for hydrogen! Hydrogen has no function as a primary source of energy. Including hydrogen is any discusssion of potential future energy sources is irrelevant and highly misleading.

Hence, why I said "produced on a large scale reliably". I'm highlighting hydrogen's function, flexibility, and abundance. To depend on hydrogen, means we can use any form of energy to make it. If we depend on oil, we cant turn any form of energy into oil. Hydrogen being an energy dense liquid has the best of oil, but not the worst, and is created, not simply sucked out from wherever it is, and of course, very clean. The challenge is to develop a multiple-energy source system, that doesn't have a single overlydominant source produce it all.

I think it would be far cheaper to make hydrogen wherever needed, than to drill holes, build rigs, geoanalyze, build silly pipelines that cause wars etc. We make it, however much we want, wherever we want, and it doesn't ever travel far. Persian gulf becomes free of all American bases! Middle east problems gone. etc etc etc, it's all so wonderful.

Trouble is, corporations will find it difficult to control if hydrogen supplies are determined by desire, from the individual, to the town, city, region or nation. If supply is that customized, then so is demand, then so is price. Not much money in something that doesn't require a multimillion pound investment just to see if the stuff is there or not.

Do you see? :shock:

It seems like you've gone back to being confused about hydrogen again! :)

Hammy, if you haven't heard, we're in an ENERGY CRISIS here. Converting energy into hydrogen (once you have the energy) is a relatively trivial operation. The big problem with making hydrogen is GETTING THE ENERGY TO DO IT. Even if we start using hydrogen to store our energy and we're still using oil as the source for that energy, we will STILL have the same problems you mentioned above: drilling holes, building rigs, geoanalyzing, having American bases in the Persian Gulf, having Middle East problems, etc.

For the umpteenth time, FORGET HYDROGEN!! Let's stay focused on the central problem, which is DEVELOPING NON-PETROLEUM ENERGY SOURCES!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
Not referring to Gardener, who was likely mocking the conventional crowd scare of a "hydrogen bomb in your boot".

I don't think he was "mocking" it at all. I think he was deadly serious. Gardener, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't think he was "mocking" it at all. I think he was deadly serious. Gardener, correct me if I'm wrong.
You are completely correct, Bryan. There is a distinct difference in safety between an UN-pressurized liquid being carried in a tank versus a pressurized flammable gas being carried in your trunk. Puncture a hydrogen tank, and you don't just have a liquid dripping down onto the pavement... you have a depressurization spewing highly flammable gas into every nook and cranny of your car's passenger compartment. I hope you don't have your cigarette lighter depressed at the time the crash occurred.... or perhaps even a turn signal deployed. I have NO confidence in how a modern automobile's dashboard circuitry would respond when and if it had pure hydrogen venting into the circuitry behind it from a leak. I've felt my heating vent on a cold day, and it gets quite warm. How would your car's heating coil respond if a breeze of hydrogen flowed through it?

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The big problem with making hydrogen is GETTING THE ENERGY TO DO IT

not necessarily.......electrolysis can be done with solar panels (and off a grid powered by other renewables) and I'm not sure why we would have to rely on oil to be able to manufacture those solar panels

hydrogen bubbles off of algae when you stop feeding it sulfur as well-

DOWN at the farm, glistening polythene tubes stretch into the distance across the salt flats of the southern Californian desert. But they aren't propagating some miraculous new crop that can grow on this barren, sun-baked earth. These water-filled tubes are teeming with countless microscopic algae that have been engineered to soak up the sun's rays and produce hydrogen to fuel the state's cars and other vehicles.

That, at least, is the vision of Tasios Melis of the University of California, Berkeley. And he's not stopping at California. "We've done some calculations," he says. "To displace gasoline use in the US would take hydrogen farms covering about 25,000 square kilometres." To put that in perspective, that's less than a tenth of what the US devotes to growing soya.

Crucially, you can farm algae where conventional crops don't stand a chance. The best areas will be sun-drenched deserts like the salt-covered dried ...
http://technology.newscientist.com/chan ... orrow.html

there are already materials in the pipeline that are stronger and lighter than anything we've had before, made from woven carbon nanotubes that could solve the safety dilemma of having a hydrogen tank in your car. Maybe I just have less anxiety about this seeing as I already drive around with a pressurized tank in my go go mobile...

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
The big problem with making hydrogen is GETTING THE ENERGY TO DO IT. Even if we start using hydrogen to store our energy and we're still using oil as the source for that energy, we will STILL have the same problems you mentioned above: drilling holes, building rigs, geoanalyzing, having American bases in the Persian Gulf, having Middle East problems, etc.

For the umpteenth time, FORGET HYDROGEN!! Let's stay focused on the central problem, which is DEVELOPING NON-PETROLEUM ENERGY SOURCES!

So if we were able to use 1 gallon of gasoline to create the equivelant of 1,000 gallons of hydrogen, would that not be a solution? Why does the solution have to not involve petroleum at all? Why not use petroleum to give us a greater yield of another form of fuel?

What if we used wind power, or solar, or geothermal, or hydroelectric, or tidal power to make hydrogen from water? Is that not renewable? So why again should we forget all about hydrogen?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Bryan said:

not necessarily.......

YES necessarily. There's nothing tricky or complex about using electrolysis to make hydrogen. It's having the electrical ENERGY to do that which is the tough part.

aussieavodart said:
electrolysis can be done with solar panels (and off a grid powered by other renewables)...

Yes, of course. What's your point?

You could also do it with the electrical power from a hamster running in a squirrel-cage, with a tiny generator attached. You wouldn't generate very _much_ hydrogen doing that, but yes, it would work.

aussieavodart said:
and I'm not sure why we would have to rely on oil to be able to manufacture those solar panels

You wouldn't. You could also use hamster-power to make solar cells, if you have plenty of time! :)

aussieavodart said:
there are already materials in the pipeline that are stronger and lighter than anything we've had before, made from woven carbon nanotubes that could solve the safety dilemma of having a hydrogen tank in your car. Maybe I just have less anxiety about this seeing as I already drive around with a pressurized tank in my go go mobile...

I don't know why there isn't more interest in using metal hydride to store hydrogen, like Bob Lazar claims to do in his hydrogen-powered Corvette. He says it's safe enough that you can literally fire bullets at it with a pistol, with no problems at all. All it'll do is smolder a bit.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harie said:
So if we were able to use 1 gallon of gasoline to create the equivelant of 1,000 gallons of hydrogen, would that not be a solution?

A solution to WHAT? Please be specific. I'm not sure what you mean.

Harie said:
Why does the solution have to not involve petroleum at all?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the main thing we've been talking about in this thread is finding non-petroleum, renewable energy sources. WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF OIL.

Harie said:
Why not use petroleum to give us a greater yield of another form of fuel?

How would you do that? :shock:

Harie said:
What if we used wind power, or solar, or geothermal, or hydroelectric, or tidal power to make hydrogen from water? Is that not renewable?

Sure, using those sources would be TERRIFIC, if only we could figure out how to get enough energy from them to run the entire country (the world, actually). Yes, of course they are renewable.

Harie said:
So why again should we forget all about hydrogen?

Let's not confuse the simple STORING of energy (which is all that hydrogen does) with the PRODUCTION of energy.

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:
Bryan said:

not necessarily.......

YES necessarily. There's nothing tricky or complex about using electrolysis to make hydrogen. It's having the electrical ENERGY to do that which is the tough part.

aussieavodart said:
electrolysis can be done with solar panels (and off a grid powered by other renewables)...

That it's not 'tough' to be able to provide the energy required to make hydrogen on a mass scale (or at home).

Harder than it would be if we were using oil? perhaps.

aussieavodart said:
and I'm not sure why we would have to rely on oil to be able to manufacture those solar panels

You wouldn't. You could also use hamster-power to make solar cells, if you have plenty of time! :)

:shock:

or we could just power all the plant equipment with biofuels and renewables.....

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Harie said:
So if we were able to use 1 gallon of gasoline to create the equivelant of 1,000 gallons of hydrogen, would that not be a solution?

A solution to relying on oil. I guess I shouldn't have said gasoline in the above quote.

Bryan said:
Harie said:

How am I supposed to know that? I am not an engineer. I meant, if it takes 1 petrolleum input to give us 1,000 alternative energy outputs, that is a very efficient system.

Bryan said:
Harie said:
So why again should we forget all about hydrogen?

Let's not confuse the simple STORING of energy (which is all that hydrogen does) with the PRODUCTION of energy.

Of course all hydrogen does is store energy. Combine renewable energy + Electrolysis = hydrogen = power for your cars. You could use nuclear or coal to do electrolysis also. Granted, they are not renewable (though, I'd argue that nuclear is close to renewable since Uranium can be derrived from sea water by a simple process), but it's still a great way to stop relying on oil.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan,

Why do you dodge a point by pretending you don't know what they are saying or asking them to be more specific?

Anyway, I have a question for you.

In theory do you think renewable energies such as Solar, Hydro, and Wind would/could be a great enough energy source to power the world today? Forget about whether we yet have the technology to efficiently tap the energy and when I say power the world today, I mean electricity in houses, street lamps, etc. How much of the world energy could these source provide for?

I’m not disagreeing with what you have said so far. Just interested to know your views.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Bryan said:

That it's not 'tough' to be able to provide the energy required to make hydrogen on a mass scale (or at home).

HUH? You don't think it's tough to provide enough energy from renewable sources to power the world, and free ourselves from having to use petroleum?? Is that some kind of joke? :shock:

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
In theory do you think renewable energies such as Solar, Hydro, and Wind would/could be a great enough energy source to power the world today? Forget about whether we yet have the technology to efficiently tap the energy and when I say power the world today, I mean electricity in houses, street lamps, etc. How much of the world energy could these source provide for?

I am not Bryan, but anyone that thinks solar can not be used to power the world is dead wrong. There is enough solar energy that hits our planet in a 1 hour time span to satisfy the worlds energy needs for an entire year. We just don't know how to efficiently collect it yet.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harie said:
Bryan said:
Harie said:

A solution to relying on oil. I guess I shouldn't have said gasoline in the above quote.

But you DID say gasoline in the above quote. What is it, then, that you meant to say? I'm more confused than ever.

Harie said:
Bryan said:
Harie said:

How am I supposed to know that? I am not an engineer. I meant, if it takes 1 petrolleum input to give us 1,000 alternative energy outputs, that is a very efficient system.

I don't have any idea how you'd use petroleum to cause a "greater yield" in other energy sources. I really don't know what you're talking about.

Harie said:
Of course all hydrogen does is store energy. Combine renewable energy + Electrolysis = hydrogen = power for your cars. You could use nuclear or coal to do electrolysis also. Granted, they are not renewable (though, I'd argue that nuclear is close to renewable since Uranium can be derrived from sea water by a simple process), but it's still a great way to stop relying on oil.

I agree with that in theory, but the big question is a practical one: is there really enough renewable energy to replace oil that we can actually use now, and if there is, how do we go about doing it? It would be a VAST undertaking.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Bryan,

Why do you dodge a point by pretending you don't know what they are saying or asking them to be more specific?

If I tell someone that I don't understand what they're saying and I ask for clarification, you can bet your SWEET *** that I mean what I say.

optimus prime said:
Anyway, I have a question for you.

I’m not disagreeing with what you have said so far. Just interested to know your views.

I'm really not sure, but I think it's doubtful that we could even take care of those specific electrical needs that you mentioned, much less all the other things like powering all the automobiles in the world.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harie said:
optimus prime said:

I am not Bryan, but anyone that thinks solar can not be used to power the world is dead wrong. There is enough solar energy that hits our planet in a 1 hour time span to satisfy the worlds energy needs for an entire year. We just don't know how to efficiently collect it yet.

After reading your own response to "optimus prime", I now realize that I may not have understood his question properly. When he said "forget about whether we yet have the technology...", I assumed he meant to take into consideration ONLY the technology we currently have. See how many opportunites there are for misunderstanding people when discussing technical subjects like this? :)

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Harie said:

If the statement above is true, or even slightly true, then there is potentially a large amount of energy available to be accessed with the right technology. How can anyone be so sure what technology is around the corner?

Dear Reader,

Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon. This is not the wacky proclamation of a doomsday cult, apocalypse bible prophecy sect, or conspiracy theory society. Rather, it is the scientific conclusion of the best paid, most widely-respected geologists, physicists, bankers, and investors in the world. These are rational, professional, conservative individuals who are absolutely terrified by a phenomenon known as global "Peak Oil."

Oil will not just "run out" because all oil production follows a bell curve. This is true whether we're talking about an individual field, a country, or on the planet as a whole.

Oil is increasingly plentiful on the upslope of the bell curve, increasingly scarce and expensive on the down slope. The peak of the curve coincides with the point at which the endowment of oil has been 50 percent depleted. Once the peak is passed, oil production begins to go down while cost begins to go up.

In practical and considerably oversimplified terms, this means that if 2005 was the year of global Peak Oil, worldwide oil production in the year 2030 will be the same as it was in 1980. However, the world’s population in 2030 will be both much larger (approximately twice) and much more industrialized (oil-dependent) than it was in 1980. Consequently, worldwide demand for oil will outpace worldwide production of oil by a significant margin. As a result, the price will skyrocket, oil dependant economies will crumble, and resource wars will explode.

The theory above isn't so scary if there aren't any oil dependent economies in the future. You cannot definitely say that there will not be technology available to capture the powerful natural resources available.

Its the equivalent of someone trying to predict the future of computers when they were first created and were the size of a large room. If you said to someone then, we will try to one day create a hand held PC, they would mostly likely have not believed you.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Harie said:

If the statement above is true, or even slightly true, then there is potentially a large amount of energy available to be accessed with the right technology. How can anyone be so sure what technology is around the corner?

The above statement is very true. The sun provides 165,000 TW of available energy every year. The world energy consumption as of 2005 was 15 TW.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hammy070 said:
Bryan said:
I want to emphasize the point I made before by pointing out that the statement above is equivalent to saying: "Batteries have to pass a point where they can be produced on a large scale reliably."

See my point? :) Batteries are just a way to STORE energy, and so is hydrogen. You can't go "mining" for batteries to power the nation, and neither can you do that for hydrogen! Hydrogen has no function as a primary source of energy. Including hydrogen is any discusssion of potential future energy sources is irrelevant and highly misleading.

Hence, why I said "produced on a large scale reliably". I'm highlighting hydrogen's function, flexibility, and abundance. To depend on hydrogen, means we can use any form of energy to make it. If we depend on oil, we cant turn any form of energy into oil. Hydrogen being an energy dense liquid has the best of oil, but not the worst, and is created, not simply sucked out from wherever it is, and of course, very clean. The challenge is to develop a multiple-energy source system, that doesn't have a single overlydominant source produce it all.

I think it would be far cheaper to make hydrogen wherever needed, than to drill holes, build rigs, geoanalyze, build silly pipelines that cause wars etc. We make it, however much we want, wherever we want, and it doesn't ever travel far. Persian gulf becomes free of all American bases! Middle east problems gone. etc etc etc, it's all so wonderful.

Trouble is, corporations will find it difficult to control if hydrogen supplies are determined by desire, from the individual, to the town, city, region or nation. If supply is that customized, then so is demand, then so is price. Not much money in something that doesn't require a multimillion pound investment just to see if the stuff is there or not.

Do you see? :shock:

It seems like you've gone back to being confused about hydrogen again! :)

Hammy, if you haven't heard, we're in an ENERGY CRISIS here. Converting energy into hydrogen (once you have the energy) is a relatively trivial operation. The big problem with making hydrogen is GETTING THE ENERGY TO DO IT. Even if we start using hydrogen to store our energy and we're still using oil as the source for that energy, we will STILL have the same problems you mentioned above: drilling holes, building rigs, geoanalyzing, having American bases in the Persian Gulf, having Middle East problems, etc.

Contrary to popular opinion. We do not have an "energy crisis" at all. That would imply energy is disappearing, which is scientifically impossible.

What we do have is an addiction/dependency to a particular type of energy in a particular form. This is the actual problem.

Oil cannot be made from solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal, hydro, wave etc. It is very inflexible and even creating it from coal, or plants, is just like giving a heroin addict methadone. My point about hydrogen is this: Imagine the year 2300, 20% of hydrogen is produced from coal. Coal runs out. 80% of hydrogen is produced elsewhere. Increased intensity of other methods as well as improving emerging methods, will fill the gap during the course of coals decline. We don't have to redesign every car/plane/truck-motorbike/etc. to run on the new mysterious energy that Bryan suggests we try and find, from somewhere that has it. :lost:

Oil is restrictive. Energy really is not the issue, if we could create oil from any form of energy now, we'd not have an oil crisis for a very very long time. So...imagine becoming dependent on hydrogen. Not only can it be produced from EVERY form of energy that we have. But basing the infrastructure on one fuel is also efficient. And hydrogen being more abundant than every hydrocarbon combined (by far) means any impending energy crisis will be because of other sources, not the dependency itself. Hydrogen as a form can be made from any source of energy. Oil cannot, and oil also is relatively rare, hence the crisis. Not an energy crisis, a form factor crisis of addiction.

Think of it in biological terms. Human beings run on ATP, nuclear energy generated inside the cells. We don't survive by eating ATP. But we can consume a vast range of matter, in so many forms to create that energy. That flexibility allows us to function in a variety of environments, hence the abundant life on this planet. Imagine our bodies were dependent on polyunsaturated fats alone. Certainly wouldn't be 6 billion of us, maybe a few hundred if we get lucky. Infact, life itself on earth wouldn't exist if it required a single source of external energy.

ATP is the Hydrogen equivalent.

FOOD will combine every method we know to make it.

The problem is, would a combination be enough? Well...what's the worst case scenario? We may end up using less, but at least we'll be dependent on a fuel that yields a minimum at all times. We will always have hydrogen if current renewables and ANYTHING else are dedicated to it's creation. There will always be a minimum supply. The same cannot be said for oil. It is already rare, and we certainly can't make it from anything.

Do you honestly think we'd have an "energy crisis" if solar panels, windmills, nuclear plants, hydropower, could create crude oil from water or anything else as equally abundant?

That's the beauty of hydrogen dependency, it depends not on it's availability, but OUR ABILITY to generate ANY kind of energy at all. That is why the energy crisis is about flawed thinking more than oil scarcity.

A hydrogen economy will fail if the hydrogen economy depends on limited, running out energy. BUT hydrogen by it's nature can depend on anything, and so EVERYTHING is a solution.

Can we find a renewable form of energy that is enough? Bryans suggestion of this doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is looking for another saviour. Even if we did find one, great, we can generate a lot more hydrogen, but even if we didn't we can still make it with what we've got. The life blood of civilization will still be flowing, we might get a cold, we might get disease, but we will never drop dead.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
Contrary to popular opinion. We do not have an "energy crisis" at all. That would imply energy is disappearing, which is scientifically impossible.

What we do have is an addiction/dependency to a particular type of energy in a particular form. This is the actual problem.

We sure as hell DO have an energy crisis. The crisis specifically involves not being able (not yet, anyway) to implement renewable energy sources to an extensive enough degree to replace oil. Before we run out of oil altogether, that has to change. And frankly, the prospects look rather bleak to me.

Hammy070 said:
Oil is restrictive. Energy really is not the issue, if we could create oil from any form of energy now, we'd not have an oil crisis for a very very long time.

That seems like a VERY bold statement to make. I'm shocked that you apparently think we have such vast reserves of renewable energy already available to us.

Hammy070 said:
So...imagine becoming dependent on hydrogen. Not only can it be produced from EVERY form of energy that we have. But basing the infrastructure on one fuel is also efficient. And hydrogen being more abundant than every hydrocarbon combined (by far) means any impending energy crisis will be because of other sources, not the dependency itself. Hydrogen as a form can be made from any source of energy. Oil cannot, and oil also is relatively rare, hence the crisis. Not an energy crisis, a form factor crisis of addiction.

Not only is OIL scarce, but so is RENEWABLE ENERGY (relatively speaking).

Hammy070 said:
Do you honestly think we'd have an "energy crisis" if solar panels, windmills, nuclear plants, hydropower, could create crude oil from water or anything else as equally abundant?

YES. Absolutely. That's because we still have a relative lack of available energy from those sources. We need a Manhattan Project-style effort to try to get such energy sources developed much much further, especially the renewable ones.

Hammy070 said:
A hydrogen economy will fail if the hydrogen economy depends on limited, running out energy. BUT hydrogen by it's nature can depend on anything, and so EVERYTHING is a solution.

Well DUH. That's screamingly obvious. But our problem today is developing those other sources of energy, especially the renewable ones. It ain't gonna be easy!

Hammy070 said:
Can we find a renewable form of energy that is enough? Bryans suggestion of this doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is looking for another saviour. Even if we did find one, great, we can generate a lot more hydrogen, but even if we didn't we can still make it with what we've got.

At the current time, we can't generate enough hydrogen to completely replace oil at current rates of usage, for the simple and obvious reason that we don't have enough of those other sources of energy to do so. It's going to take a HUGE effort to do that. I have grave doubts that we're ever going to be successful.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems then our disagreement is in how much total potential energy we can develop now and in the following years, and not on what type of energy it is.

Renewables and alternatives in total have to increase steadily every year to maintain about post 1990 total energy. I think that combined with research will keep us ahead of the game. Ahead being avoiding getting pwned by oil. We still are ok for now, I suspect we will be for a while. Oil will have to decline very drastically just to reach the point when the world drives when it has to and flies when it has to, right now, way too much luxury usage. The adoption of renewables is actually proportionate to existing issues, we think too much about the future and so believe the response now should be the response in 2015 to solve the problem quicker and more definitly. That's simply because I get to sit here with a heater on full for the last 6 hours, now typing on my 1000W PC, on my 40inch lcd monitor, and fully confidant I'll be able to go work tomorrow in public transport. When those things are affected, the next Manhattan project will have already begun. I hope. Maybe it will be called the Beijing Project by then :crazy: