Alternative energy bubble is next

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
It seems then our disagreement is in how much total potential energy we can develop now and in the following years, and not on what type of energy it is.

Exactly. That's what I've been saying this entire thread.

Hammy070 said:
Oil will have to decline very drastically just to reach the point when the world drives when it has to and flies when it has to, right now, way too much luxury usage.

Exactly. Long-gone are the American Graffiti-days when teenagers spent their Friday and Saturday evenings cruising up and down the main drag of their towns in 2-ton behemoths, just for the sheer joy of getting out of the house! :)

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:
Bryan said:
Yes, of course. What's your point?

That it's not 'tough' to be able to provide the energy required to make hydrogen on a mass scale (or at home).

HUH? You don't think it's tough to provide enough energy from renewable sources to power the world, and free ourselves from having to use petroleum?? Is that some kind of joke? :shock:

I said it wasn't tough to provide the energy, using renewables, required to make hydrogen on a mass scale

powering 'the world' with renewables suggests a different thing

HughJass

Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
That's simply because I get to sit here with a heater on full for the last 6 hours, now typing on my 1000W PC, on my 40inch lcd monitor, and fully confidant I'll be able to go work tomorrow in public transport. When those things are affected, the next Manhattan project will have already begun. I hope. Maybe it will be called the Beijing Project by then :crazy:

from what I read from top climate scientists here, I get the impression that global warming, and the shitstorm that accompanies it, is going to catch up with us well before a really severe energy crisis hits

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I said it wasn't tough to provide the energy, using renewables, required to make hydrogen on a mass scale

What in God's Holy Name have we been talking about in this thread, other than powering the world with renewable energy sources?

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

What in God's Holy Name have we been talking about in this thread, other than powering the world with renewable energy sources?

ummmmmm powering the world using other methods like hydrogen???!!!

breath Bryan, breath.....just think of the cute little hampsters :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:

Very funny.

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

Very funny.

It would take an algae farm the size of the state of Texas to produce enough hydrogen to supply the energy needs of the whole world. It would take about 25,000 square kilometres to be sufficient to displace gasoline use in the US; this is less than a tenth of the area devoted to growing soya in the US but would equal the size of the state of Vermont, or three times the size of the everglades swamp in Florida, all dedicated to raising this form of algae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological ... production

pretty promising if you ask me