Alternating Propeica and Avodart Daily and I Got a question

bshoni22

Reaction score
For the past few months I've been taking Avodart and Propecia. Not at the same time (meaning not on the same day). Does anyone have any input regarding this?
I have been shaving my head, its a phase, so I cant really tell whats going on but a few months ago, my hairloss appeared to have slowed down significantly.

Are there any potentially negative liver or kidney side effects from this combination. I might take three Avodarts a week. The rest of the time I take Propecia.

ALSO: I was told by a dermatologist that taking half a propecia pill is almost as effective as taking the whole. Any support on that?

Thanks so much for your input.

Shoni

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
alright, here is my opinion: I would not be mixing dutasteride and finasteride drugs for these reasons:
1) both propecia and dutasteride are supposed to be taken everyday to mimic the clinical trials, and thus to mimic the trial results (which are, for the most part, good!). They have only been tested this way, and are only proven in this way.
2) dutasteride and propecia have different half lifes, and stay in the body for different lengths of time, so there will be a great deal of fluctuation in your DHT inihibiting regimen. i am a firm believer in consistency when it comes to hairloss treatment.
3) it is just plain not smart to mix drugs. mixing drugs, especially when they act on similar systems in the body, can produce unpredictable results /side effects. For example, when people give seizure meds, or antidepressants, doctors that are forced to give their patients multiple meds for treatments, try to give them drugs that act in completely different mechanisms, to avoid any strange overlapping interferences and side effects.
4) its more of a pain in the *** to remember which days to take which drugs. it seems so much easier to just take the same pill everyday, and not think about it.

again, this is only my opinion. I would actually be curious as to why you have decided to do this regimen. had you read something about switching between dutasteride and finasteride?

best of luck to you man. and yes, it has been documented that propecia works almost just as well at half the dose.