Alternate between 2% & 5%

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody alternated between 2% and 5% minoxidil?

I have been treating my scalp with 2% for two months and then a couple weeks ago, switched to 5%. That with my other regimen has produced good results in a short time. But the 5% itches like mad and for the first time since I was a teen, I have dandruff (white flakes on black hair is brutal).

So I'm thinking of using 2% during the day because it doesn't itch and then 5% at night when I go to sleep.

Anybody have thoughts on that or know of any studies that come close to talking about altenating between the two?

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe Johnson & Johnson ploughed many millions into a study on exactly this, they also studied 5% during the day and 2% at night (similar results but with a slight leaning toward non-terminal vertex cycle extension).

This trial was in conjunction with a 2% 3 times a day trial (men only) and two separate 2% morning/5% afternoon/2% evening trials (men/women) both giving roughly equal (but statistically distinct) results.

The final pieces of the 'trial jigsaw' were a '5% + 2% every other day and Nizoral + 2% on the remaining days' trial, a two stage Nizoral/5%/2%/2% women only trial (with results ploughed back into earlier studies) and a final two year trial with 5% twice a day + 2% & Nizoral/T/Gel at the weekends which took into account any scores the participants had amassed in earlier trials, the objective of this final trial was to route out (in the words of the trial organisers ) 'any folk that had gone bad' and the trial included a chance to win a holiday in Disneyland for the whole family.