Alopecia - The Facts! From a professional..

wonderfulwigcompany

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's no secret that Alopecia affects a lot of people. In fact in around 2% of people are affected by Alopecia Areata at some point in their lifetime. It can present itself at any age, and any gender and both men and women are equally affected.

With that said, we thought it would be a good idea to share some interesting facts that you might not necessarily know about Alopecia. Please please do bear in mind though that Alopecia does affects everyone in slightly different ways so these facts don't always apply to every case!

• Regrowth chances: If less than half your scalp is affected and you do not undergo treatment, there is roughly an 80% chance of full hair regrowth within 12 months.
"In some cases, patchy baldness may come and go over many months or years. The size of the bald patch or patches and how long they last are quite variable."
  • Will I lose all my hair?
Total loss of scalp hair also know Alopecia totalis is more rare. In some cases regrowth can occur within 3 to 4 months of losing your hair.
  • When is Alopecia most likely to occur?
"Alopecia tends to appear during childhood, but it could surface at any age." Like we said before Alopecia affects people of all ages and genders, however, it is more common in people in early childhood or adolescence. There is little information as to why this is but that is the case with most forms of Alopecia.
  • I have small patches of Alopecia:
People who only have small patches of hair loss are more likely to experience a full recovery.

Approximately half of all people with milder cases of Alopecia Areata recover within a year. Alopecia Areata is where the hair falls out in small, coin-sized patches. Despite this most people will go on to experience more than one episode of this hair loss during their lifetime.
  • Alopecia is asymptomatic:
"Apart from the loss of hair, Alopecia Areata doesn't cause headaches, irritation, or other symptoms."

As we touched on earlier, everyones Alopecia is slightly different and it's sometimes hard to find common trends. This really highlights the need for further research in Alopecia, it's causes and how it affects people on an individual basis.

One thing that is for sure though is we are in a far better place than we were a few years ago. The support for Alopecia is growing in the UK and we have fantastic support and services available here at the Wonderful Wig Company too. If you would like any advice on a one to one basis then drop a comment below and we can help.

We’re here for you​

Whether you buy from us or not, my team are here to help people. We are here to help you feel you again. Drop us a message in the comments or on our social channels and we will reply ASAP.