Alopecia Areata...going On The 5th Year Now :)

GPL

My Regimen
Reaction score
Diagnosed 5 years ago now at age 50. Did the injections, ointments and then squaric acid. Got a really bad burn from that one. Decided to just let it go and see what it would do. Still losing hair at this point but it is the nape area (which is much higher now) and around. And up my ears. I shave off the weird strip that is left so that when I put it in a ponytail is is not so obvious. Imagine shaving off growing hair to make the bald patches look more normal....lol
Thankfully my hair was quite thick to start with so it is not that obvious when my hair is down. I'm getting better with accepting the new me Utah some times long for the days of messy buns and no one staring at my spots. I have probably lost a third of my original hair. The gray seems to stay and the pigmented hair goes...cruel joke :) some loss on arm and leg hair as well as lashes and brows.
I miss the long flowing locks but am quite happy with my now shoulder top length hair. It looks good to not be so straggly on a daily basis

Alopecia to Afro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was diagnosed at 48 and I was devastated emotionally I was a wreck knowing that it wasn't contagious nor fatal I still mourned the lost of my hair and my femininity. I hated wigs and I covered up mostly with scarves and hats. Since 2014 I have had hair growth, I received the creams and the injections, took a medical leave and had therapy for 8 months I tell you I was devastated. I believe my hair grew back with the help of steroid injections, positive thinking and my faith in God. It's been almost 4 years now and I haven't had any "flare" ups as we all know there is no guarantee that hair will grow back. I'm glad to hear that you are okay emotionally and quite happy with the length of your hair. Alopecians rock!!!!!

GPL

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are right it is devastating. You feel you have lost yourself. But then with time you find you are still the same person inside. Change is hard. My fav movie quote " beginnings are scary, ending are sad but it's the middle that counts"
Glad you are getting back to the real you. That is who counts!!! You are right we rock :)