Alopecia Areata , Dupa , Dpa Or Telogen Effluvium.

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like standard male patter baldness with diffuse thinning. What is your family history with baldness? Also minoxidil alone will not be of much help. If you are serious about treating your hair loss, Finasteride is the thing you need.

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, it is unlikely to have male pattern baldness if no one in the family tree had it previously but still it is not completely impossible. Is the last picture of top of your head is wet hair or dry? Tbh, it does not look normal even if it is wet. How is your hairline?

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We have a friend here who is losing hair in similar fashion as you i.e. overall thinning with hairline intact. Maybe he can provide some valuable inputs. What you say @recedingornot87

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys don’t think it’s strange that the back of his head is evenly thinned all the way through the donor region? I’d see a professional, maybe it’s not standard male pattern baldness

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
We have a friend here who is losing hair in similar fashion as you i.e. overall thinning with hairline intact. Maybe he can provide some valuable inputs. What you say @recedingornot87

Honestly, Ive been dealing with this hairloss for like 6 months now and I still have no idea if it is even male pattern baldness. Considering my family history I would think that it is male pattern baldness but looking at OP's family history its very very unlikely he has premature baldness genes. To OP, you went to the doctor but they couldnt confirm if it was male pattern baldness or not? Are you seeing any large amount of actual hairfall or is the hair just getting thinner without any noticable shedding?

needadvice786123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, Ive been dealing with this hairloss for like 6 months now and I still have no idea if it is even male pattern baldness. Considering my family history I would think that it is male pattern baldness but looking at OP's family history its very very unlikely he has premature baldness genes. To OP, you went to the doctor but they couldnt confirm if it was male pattern baldness or not? Are you seeing any large amount of actual hairfall or is the hair just getting thinner without any noticable shedding?

Hey man, I'm in a similiar situation to OP. I have no history of diffuse thinning in my family, my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair (NW1). My uncle has recession but he had hair up until his 40s. No other history apart frm that. I've noticed hair loss from all over my scalp, mainly my top/sides which are noticeable and my crown. My hairline is completely fine. I don't lose hair as I go about my day but I lose 200 or so in the shower, but it is worth noting I only wash my hair every 3 days or so. My hair is definitely getting thinner though, I can feel it - but it doesn't actually show any signs of thinning, no scalp visible etc, to anyone else it would just look like my normal hair. Any advice? Idk if its Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness, I have finasteride ready to use, but is it effective against Telogen Effluvium?

If I do the pull test about 4 fully grown hairs come out. I don't really lose any "thinner" hairs, just normal hairs - does this mean anything? It was also all very sudden, literally came out of nowhere. I'm not sure what it would be... I don't really have any stress/traumatic experiences, which makes me doubt its Telogen Effluvium. At the same time though my diet is terrible, I definitely don't get the right amount of nutrients. Most days I have like one meal at most and then just eat junk, pretty bad ik lol.

I don't wanna gamble though... if it's male pattern baldness I'd rather catch it early. Should I just start finasteride now?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, I'm in a similiar situation to OP. I have no history of diffuse thinning in my family, my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair (NW1). My uncle has recession but he had hair up until his 40s. No other history apart frm that. I've noticed hair loss from all over my scalp, mainly my top/sides which are noticeable and my crown. My hairline is completely fine. I don't lose hair as I go about my day but I lose 200 or so in the shower, but it is worth noting I only wash my hair every 3 days or so. My hair is definitely getting thinner though, I can feel it - but it doesn't actually show any signs of thinning, no scalp visible etc, to anyone else it would just look like my normal hair. Any advice? Idk if its Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness, I have finasteride ready to use, but is it effective against Telogen Effluvium?

If I do the pull test about 4 fully grown hairs come out. I don't really lose any "thinner" hairs, just normal hairs - does this mean anything? It was also all very sudden, literally came out of nowhere. I'm not sure what it would be... I don't really have any stress/traumatic experiences, which makes me doubt its Telogen Effluvium. At the same time though my diet is terrible, I definitely don't get the right amount of nutrients. Most days I have like one meal at most and then just eat junk, pretty bad ik lol.

I don't wanna gamble though... if it's male pattern baldness I'd rather catch it early. Should I just start finasteride now?
Yes start it now

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hairline is perfect so unlikely it is male pattern baldness. It is rare for there to be JUST top thinning but absolutely no recession.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score

I got on finasteride right away and have been on for only 3 months now. No slowdown in hairloss at all and it became noticeable to the point that when I returned back to school this week almost everyone I know was asking me wtf happened. I just assumed that this type of hairloss is just very aggressive male pattern baldness and that theres not enough time for the hairline to recede. I thought this was it because unlike you two my family has a history of very agressive young balding that goes to NW7 in the span of 1-2 years. But now that I see OP and you as well having the same hairloss pattern happening combined with the fact that meds arent doing anything for me Im starting to think there is some other thing causing it alongside androgenic alopecia.