Alopecia areata combined with diffuse hair loss 22/f

ilovemyhair24

Reaction score
Hello friends. I'm hoping this forum will give me a piece of mind as I'm in the midst of dealing with hair loss amongst other personal issues. Background: Had alopecia at age 15 (7 years ago) and lost 70% of my hair in 3 months but it began to grow back during those three months and a year later I was able to take off my wig and have beautiful thick hair again. They thought it was due to having mononucleosis and having a weak immune system, but we can't be entirely sure. Then in July of this year, I noticed a dime-sized bald spot on the top of my head in the center. I began to panic, but the hair loss was not in clumps nor did I have excessive shedding the way I did at age 15. The spot has remained the same size for the most part, maybe increased by 1 mm or 2 mm but in late September I noticed my hair was thinning on the sides when I would put it up and I was noticing more hair loss in the shower and in my brush, but not a ton, maybe 10-15 more strands than usual. 2 months later, my part is a bit wider and my pony tail is about 20% thinner. My hair loss fluctuates, sometimes I lost only 5 hairs in the shower, sometimes I lose 15. My doctor said I probably have Telogen Effluvium due to stress of having a bald spot, but from what I've read, people with Telogen Effluvium have much more rapid hair loss.Fortunately, I do see sprouts of hairs popping up that range from 1/4 of an inch to 1 inch but I cannot tell if they are thinner than usual. My doctor said its a good sign my hair isn't falling out rapidly and that my spot is not getting bigger at a fast pace, but I'm now concerned that since its not rapid or excessive, it could lead to something more prolonged and long term. I decided to schedule a scalp biopsy but my appointment isn't until January. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm hoping hair growth is a good sign and that it means my hair loss isn't permanent if I'm already seeing regrowth. My hair has thinned all over but its noticeable at my hairline where you can slightly see to the scalp as well as at my temples. Any guidance or advice will help :(

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. I'm hoping this forum will give me a piece of mind as I'm in the midst of dealing with hair loss amongst other personal issues. Background: Had alopecia at age 15 (7 years ago) and lost 70% of my hair in 3 months but it began to grow back during those three months and a year later I was able to take off my wig and have beautiful thick hair again. They thought it was due to having mononucleosis and having a weak immune system, but we can't be entirely sure. Then in July of this year, I noticed a dime-sized bald spot on the top of my head in the center. I began to panic, but the hair loss was not in clumps nor did I have excessive shedding the way I did at age 15. The spot has remained the same size for the most part, maybe increased by 1 mm or 2 mm but in late September I noticed my hair was thinning on the sides when I would put it up and I was noticing more hair loss in the shower and in my brush, but not a ton, maybe 10-15 more strands than usual. 2 months later, my part is a bit wider and my pony tail is about 20% thinner. My hair loss fluctuates, sometimes I lost only 5 hairs in the shower, sometimes I lose 15. My doctor said I probably have Telogen Effluvium due to stress of having a bald spot, but from what I've read, people with Telogen Effluvium have much more rapid hair loss.Fortunately, I do see sprouts of hairs popping up that range from 1/4 of an inch to 1 inch but I cannot tell if they are thinner than usual. My doctor said its a good sign my hair isn't falling out rapidly and that my spot is not getting bigger at a fast pace, but I'm now concerned that since its not rapid or excessive, it could lead to something more prolonged and long term. I decided to schedule a scalp biopsy but my appointment isn't until January. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm hoping hair growth is a good sign and that it means my hair loss isn't permanent if I'm already seeing regrowth. My hair has thinned all over but its noticeable at my hairline where you can slightly see to the scalp as well as at my temples. Any guidance or advice will help :(

I'm new on this site too, but I thought I could give you a little advice, since nobody else did yet.
Sorry for what you've been through. I think your doctor is probably right, it could definitely be stress related Telogen Effluvium. Please try not to stress, because that could trigger your AA again, just give it some time, it will grow back.

ilovemyhair24

Reaction score
I'm new on this site too, but I thought I could give you a little advice, since nobody else did yet.
Sorry for what you've been through. I think your doctor is probably right, it could definitely be stress related Telogen Effluvium. Please try not to stress, because that could trigger your AA again, just give it some time, it will grow back.

Thank you Fena2000 I hope you are right. What type of hair loss do you have?

ASaphira

Reaction score
Ilovemyhair24, is there a chance that we could talk about your experiences related to hair loss? I am an undergraduate student based in London, trying to increase the awareness of the wider public regarding this massive burden women have to carry. I guarantee anonymity and it will not take long. We could arrange a skype session? Cannot wait for your response. Could you please email me your skype details or email to researchhairlosswomen@gmail.com. Looking forward to our discussion!