Alopecia areata, and does it matter?

Anita

Reaction score
Help! I am very confused! I’ve been experiencing hair loss that’s been diagnosed as Telogen Effluvium by a derm (even though I suspect it could be Androgenetic Alopecia). So I gave up on trying to determine if it’s Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia and start a regimen regardless.

The derm did not examine my scalp thoroughly at all, so last night when I was trying to determine what areas I would need to apply Rogaine to, I discovered all these small, bald areas. They seemed to me like an alopecia areata kind of situation. They are not on the crown, or perfectly round, but they are maybe the size of a dime in some cases. Most are in the back of my head, under layers of hair, which is why I probably hadn’t noticed them yet. I’d been focusing on areas near the front, where there was scalp visible depending on how I parted my hair, etc.

So, could it be alopecia areata? I hadn’t even considered this. My bloodwork is all normal, and I was tested for autoimmune disorders. The weird thing is that my actual hair loss (shedding) has nearly resolved itself in the last month. But now I need to grow back lots of hair. Would the diagnosis of AA, Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium have any bearing on how I can make the hair grow back? Or would it be based on Rogaine use anyway?
Should I let go of the diagnosis issue?

Thanks!
Anita

G

Hi Anita,

If you had alopecia areata, you would be able to tell, as the type of hair loss is very different from Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia. Are the small bald areas completely bald?

Alopecia areata is characterized by complete scalp hair loss within round patches, leaving a smooth, hairless scalp. Along with these patches of hair loss are the prevalence of "exclamation point hairs". These are broken hairs that taper or narrow closer to the scalp, giving it the appearance of an exclamation point. Hair loss from alopecia areata can occur very rapidly or slowly or even at irregular intervals.

http://www.heralopecia.com/guide/part2c.php

The treatment for alopecia areata is different than for Telogen Effluvium and Androgenetic Alopecia. Usually treatment involves corticosteroid injections into the scalp.

Would the diagnosis of AA, Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium have any bearing on how I can make the hair grow back? Or would it be based on Rogaine use anyway? Should I let go of the diagnosis issue?

Unless you have alopecia areata, the diagnosis would have the same treatment outcome regardless on whether or not it is Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia. Rogaine, vitamins and supplements and possibly Tricomin or Folligen. That would be a good start for a regimen :)

Hope this helps

Laura