Almost 29 - Hairloss Story

eldanio

Reaction score
So I'm almost 29 and have been probably gradually losing my hair since I was about 19, however it has speeded up in the last couple of years, perhaps due to some girlfriend stress and a better, yet more stressful job.

Anyway I've never had the best hair, when grown out the fringe has been weak and the hairline has naturally been high.

I used to be able to hide it a bit with styling but this was mainly the fringe, then I would have to ruffle up the crown and slightly brush it over to hide the thinning area and it wasn't noticeable with some good hair product. This was probably at in my early 20's. I also tried some saw palmetto for a bit but never really stuck with it and the hair loss didn't bother me enough, plus I wore hats a lot, even without hair loss.

At 23 I started using the caffeine shampoo as well as generic propecia, probably used propecia for about 2 months however my girlfriend didn't like me taking it and it reduced my 'load' quite a bit. I left it for a bit then started to use Rogaine foam and have been ever since, however I had a period where I wasn't using it properly and lost a lot of my gains, this was when I started my new job about 2.5 years ago. Now, since about September 2013 I have been back on the Rogaine and the last 7 Weeks I have been on 0.5 genuine propecia from the pharmacy. I also shave my head between 1-2 at the moment and my ex has said that she has noticed the hair getting thicker ( I haven't noticed anything).
My libido hasn't changed much, maybe just not waking up horny every morning like I used to and my 'load' is less frequently bigger, however sometimes its as normal or even more and I can be abnormally horny one day then less the next. I've also noticed I fluctuate from having clear skin to spotty skin almost every other week.

1 August 2011.jpg
August 2011 -Before starting Rogaine

2 September 2011.jpg
September 2011 -Hair has shed some

3 October 2011.jpg
October 2011 - Starting to fill in but hair is longer

5 Jan 2012.jpg
January 2012 - this is about as good as it got, i kept using it but it staid at this then gradually got worse again.

6.Sept2013.jpg
September 2013 - crown has thinned some more again, have still been using Rogaine but not as religiously.

7. March 2014.jpg
March 2014 - Hair looks much worse now, but must be noted its not dyed, I often dye it a medium brown to make it look thicker, and it is much shorter than the other pictures, but still...

8. May 2014.jpg
May 2014 - Grade 2 clippered. Have been using propecia for roughly 2-3 weeks and since March have been using Rogaine foam 2 x daily plus nizoral every 2-3 days. I normally wash the hair in the evenings and the evenings i use nizoral I don't use Rogaine. I use alpecin shampoo as a daily.

20thJune2013.1..jpg
June 2014 - Grade 2 still. It's hard to compare in this photo as I've lost my phone so only have hd webcam, hard to get the lighting right.

So....so far it looks like from what I can tell myself that the front part has thickened very slightly, however I have been dabbing rogaine here also. I might increase to 1mg propecia but I have noticed some mild sides on 0.5 daily. Occasional acne, occasional mild and brief groin ache. Very very slight libido loss and less ejaculate however the last week it had been as good as ever.

If the sides stay like they are then I'm going to continue with what I'm doing and hopefully get more of a result, however I am considering a fue perhaps next year depending on results, as the crown is really bothering me, it really ages me and I used to love styling my hair a bit. It's easier shaved but I like a bit of hair, my forehead is too big and shiny and my nose to pointy to pull off a bruce willis :p.

eldanio

Reaction score
At the end of July I will take some more pictures and if any progress then I will put it in the progress section. I think I want to change my daily shampoo though from Alpecin. i've used it solely for the last few years and never seen any improvement, when I was using mostly Alpecin caffeine shampoo and nothing else my hair continued to worsen. I only like it because it makes my hair feel clean and manageable, but I don't think it does much in the way of saving hair loss or reducing shedding.

turan

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to this so forgive me if i seem a bit uninformed.

I was wondering whether using alpecin would actually conflict with regain.

I'ms starting regaine foam soon and currently at a norwood 2.

I have been using alpecin c1 since the age of 18.

I'm currently 24 where my hairline has changed a little bit (like norwood 1 to 2 goig towards a 3). I don't know know how much of that is alpecin but its defo at the point where regaine should be used. ( I avoid finasteride because of side effects-not big on risk).

I also have no crown balding- just a receding hairline.

Would i have to drop alpecin to get the full effects of regain?

cheers.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
January 2012 was a good month. It has been rough for the OP since then. Hopefully he is able to turn things around.

eldanio

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to this so forgive me if i seem a bit uninformed.

I was wondering whether using alpecin would actually conflict with regain.

I'ms starting regaine foam soon and currently at a norwood 2.

I have been using alpecin c1 since the age of 18.

I'm currently 24 where my hairline has changed a little bit (like norwood 1 to 2 goig towards a 3). I don't know know how much of that is alpecin but its defo at the point where regaine should be used. ( I avoid finasteride because of side effects-not big on risk).

I also have no crown balding- just a receding hairline.

Would i have to drop alpecin to get the full effects of regain?

cheers.

Honestly I don't think Alpecin is that good. I'm sure caffeine can help promote circulation and the growth of hair but not in the quantities it contains. The reason I've used it for so long is because I just like the Shampoo and I thought if I'm going to use shampoo it can't hurt to have some caffeine in it. However in the time I have been using it I have for a period, not used Rogaine, and not noticed any improvement with Alpecin, if anything more loss, as you can see from my pictures.
If I was you I would try the regaine/rogaine but make sure you stick with it twice a day at 12 hour intervals and give it a few months at least before expecting results, also be gentle with your hair and try to apply the foam through the hair to the scalp and not on the hair (waste otherwise). You could try the liquid, easy to get through longer hair but I find it greasy and irritates my scalp, you will have to try for yourself. Once started though you need to keep with it otherwise you will lose progress, however think of it like brushing teeth twice a day, don't look after your teeth and they will fall out too!
In my opinion I would say don't worry about using or not using it with Regaine.

For my own update I'll take some pictures in a couple of weeks and see how it's going, my friend says my hair is looking better but I've not cut it recently and I can't see any improvement myself in the mirror. I'm still taking 0.5 propecia and minoxidil foam twice daily, Alpecin until it runs out but going to swap to something else and nizoral every 2-3 days.

turan

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think Alpecin is that good. I'm sure caffeine can help promote circulation and the growth of hair but not in the quantities it contains. The reason I've used it for so long is because I just like the Shampoo and I thought if I'm going to use shampoo it can't hurt to have some caffeine in it. However in the time I have been using it I have for a period, not used Rogaine, and not noticed any improvement with Alpecin, if anything more loss, as you can see from my pictures.
If I was you I would try the regaine/rogaine but make sure you stick with it twice a day at 12 hour intervals and give it a few months at least before expecting results, also be gentle with your hair and try to apply the foam through the hair to the scalp and not on the hair (waste otherwise). You could try the liquid, easy to get through longer hair but I find it greasy and irritates my scalp, you will have to try for yourself. Once started though you need to keep with it otherwise you will lose progress, however think of it like brushing teeth twice a day, don't look after your teeth and they will fall out too!
In my opinion I would say don't worry about using or not using it with Regaine.

For my own update I'll take some pictures in a couple of weeks and see how it's going, my friend says my hair is looking better but I've not cut it recently and I can't see any improvement myself in the mirror. I'm still taking 0.5 propecia and minoxidil foam twice daily, Alpecin until it runs out but going to swap to something else and nizoral every 2-3 days.

Many thanks for the fast reply!

I did ask a pharmacist and a dr an opinion and they has said the exact same as you so thanks! I too have been using it just because of the way it makes my hair and scalp feel.

On another note i asked about regaine and its effectivieness against baldness without taking finasteride. They told me its quite effective in early stages (bonus) however not a cure but would stabilise it. They then also added that i do not need it yet as i am only a norwood 2. according to many people they cant even tell that i am losing hair.

Would it be wise to start regain when you know the inevitable?
what would its effectiveness be like in the next 10 years..would it slow it down or stabilise balding? especially if you're in early stages? I think i would be quite religious with the application tbf. a few friends use it and swear by it but of course i am open to new opinions.

once again thank you for your response!

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil will give you an offset of your hair loss, meaning that it kinda brings you back in time perhaps a few years tops, but the speed by which you are thinning will most likely not change. So if you are thinning really slowly, it will seem like it will slow your hair loss. Finasteride on the other hand can bring you back a few years but, more importantly, it slows or stops your hairloss for many years. It will not stop it forever but definitely slow it down.

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a PSA for people who think just rogaine is enough (like I did for a while). Finasteride is the best weapon we have right now :\

turan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah i have understood that minoxidil isnt really gonna do much but would like to buy a few years out of it if possible. Like i said my problem is just the receding hairline, there is no other thinning. I really despise the whole finasteride systematic side effects.

I was wondering actually is there anything that you can use topically that has the same anti-dht effect. I'm not sure if you're aware of the belgravia centre but what do you think about them if you do?

One day i would like to have a hair transplant and as naive as i will sound i do think they are coming close to a break through for decent coverage hair transplants.

Look at all these footballers who have had them so young…rooney, fletcher, scheijnder…and recently from what i've seen christian eriksen seems to have had some sort of treatment!

I know everyone would bang on about the costs for a hair transplant but really its the same as being on meds for life, except you wouldnt have to worry as much. I'd ideally want to stave off some years and from what you're telling me, regaine isn't gonna quite do it? But i want to know how is it possible so many people swear by it as something that slows down hair loss.

I'm 24 and have been receding since the age of 16 but at a snails pace, with hair still thick everywhere bar the hairline.

Is there anything that can be done without resorting to drugs with bad side effects (depression, libido loss, brain fog etc isn't exactly ideal) ?

Once again, many thanks for the replies.

eldanio

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah i have understood that minoxidil isnt really gonna do much but would like to buy a few years out of it if possible. Like i said my problem is just the receding hairline, there is no other thinning. I really despise the whole finasteride systematic side effects.

I was wondering actually is there anything that you can use topically that has the same anti-dht effect. I'm not sure if you're aware of the belgravia centre but what do you think about them if you do?

One day i would like to have a hair transplant and as naive as i will sound i do think they are coming close to a break through for decent coverage hair transplants.

Look at all these footballers who have had them so young…rooney, fletcher, scheijnder…and recently from what i've seen christian eriksen seems to have had some sort of treatment!

I know everyone would bang on about the costs for a hair transplant but really its the same as being on meds for life, except you wouldnt have to worry as much. I'd ideally want to stave off some years and from what you're telling me, regaine isn't gonna quite do it? But i want to know how is it possible so many people swear by it as something that slows down hair loss.

I'm 24 and have been receding since the age of 16 but at a snails pace, with hair still thick everywhere bar the hairline.

Is there anything that can be done without resorting to drugs with bad side effects (depression, libido loss, brain fog etc isn't exactly ideal) ?

Once again, many thanks for the replies.

Hair loss is normal, part of ageing such as wrinkles etc. However it's some of us unfortunate ones where it is extreme or far too early! There are plenty of alternatives but you need to look into the science behind hair loss and think, do these 'treatments' actually address the cause. I would say try and eat clean, exercise, drink water and take a daily vit and just relax. Even stress can cause thinning and hair shedding in the best of them!

eldanio

Reaction score
Update:

So It's now 4 months on strict regime of 0.5 finasteride and 2 x minoxidil foam daily. I have also added in regenepure dr in place of alpecin, however it's expensive, about the same as minoxidil.

I'm failing to see an improvement yet. 1st picture is from a week ago, hair is longer and 2nd picture is from yesterday, shaved grade 1.

I am tempted to pack it in but not sure if I should keep going for a few months...

Still getting some sides, not quite as horny, more acne on my face which strangely seems to appear more if I masturbate then settles down if I don't for a few days. No problem getting an erection but the end result is much less and more watery than it used to be before.

IMG_20140822_123747.jpg

IMG_20140901_215521.jpg

Just turned 29, I guess I could start saving for a couple of years for a hair transplant and see how my progress is, at least by 31-32 I might have a better idea of where my hair loss is going.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
4 months really isn't a reasonable time span to actually expect significant results friend. You'll see almost no difference.
Honestly you should wait atleast 9 months for concrete results.
If nothing happens then I'd say drop it, you tried.

eldanio

Reaction score
I guess I'll try for a bit longer, I wasn't really concerned about sides thinking, well at least my hairs improving, then checking and not noticing any difference. I don't want to be taking this drug with some sides and no positive results, however Ill see if I can keep going for a few more months and hopefully see some improvement. I'm not asking for miracles but some sign that its doing something.

eldanio

Reaction score
Bit of an update. I haven't had any finasteride for 5 weeks, basically due to Boots taking a long time then only when I phoned them up they said I needed to speak to my GP who in turn said I need an appointment..even though I have had two orders already. Anyway going to see them later. I haven't noticed a change sexually apart from waking up more again with morning wood.

IMG_20140926_193554.jpg
First picture taken about 2 weeks ago, approx grade 3.

IMG_20141006_160346.jpg
Second picture taken just now, hair is dyed which makes it look a bit thicker, not really had any loss or progress in the last 5 weeks, still using Rogaine and regenepure dr.

I want to give finasteride at least a year at 0.5 and if there's no improvement I will up to 1mg and try for another 6 months (as long as I don't get major sides) If no improvement still i'll pack it in :(

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Hopefully you get your finasteride supply soon. I am sure you already know this, but consistency is really key to achieve success: finasteride 1x/day, minoxidil 2x/day.

Reaction score
This is kind of a PSA for people who think just rogaine is enough (like I did for a while). Finasteride is the best weapon we have right now :\

i totally agree, when i used rogaine for first 2 weeks i didn't start on finasteride right off, i noticed how much less hair i will lose whenever i apply rogaine.

just to throw a comment, the 1st pic looks like me when i was 20. last 2 pic looks like me at 23y right before treatment.

yellowdogtab

Reaction score
Stop wasting your time with products and potions if your hairs going its going the follicles have died, im 44 this year and had the m head or cow lick hair style as you call it, was hell trying to cover and wind and rain were just a nightmare, tha answer your all searching for is hair transplant, i found a company in Manchester, haggled with them down from £4900 to £4000 to take a strip from the back of my head where the follicles are in twos and threes and never die (this is why you see bald men with a thick strip at the back of there head) was there about 7hrs putting in hair after hair, was a long day but im a year in and my hair is like a 20 yolds, no ifs or buts it just the only thing to do, worth every penny and the no sleeping for a few days incase you lay on your new hair. £4000 is alot of money but we spend that on kitchens, extentions and cars without a thought but, they won't give you the feeling this gives you...i have a hairstyle now instead of hair placed over bald bits.

eldanio

Reaction score
Stop wasting your time with products and potions if your hairs going its going the follicles have died, im 44 this year and had the m head or cow lick hair style as you call it, was hell trying to cover and wind and rain were just a nightmare, tha answer your all searching for is hair transplant, i found a company in Manchester, haggled with them down from £4900 to £4000 to take a strip from the back of my head where the follicles are in twos and threes and never die (this is why you see bald men with a thick strip at the back of there head) was there about 7hrs putting in hair after hair, was a long day but im a year in and my hair is like a 20 yolds, no ifs or buts it just the only thing to do, worth every penny and the no sleeping for a few days incase you lay on your new hair. £4000 is alot of money but we spend that on kitchens, extentions and cars without a thought but, they won't give you the feeling this gives you...i have a hairstyle now instead of hair placed over bald bits.

Time and money, I still have a loan and a car I'm paying off and won't get 4-5k any time soon, and can't afford to get another loan out yet. I would love to go for the HTT, something in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, so I wasn't see any improvement on 0.5 finasteride so the last two months I've been on 1mg, however Boots messed up my order again so I've just gone the generic root and ordered 30 x 5mg fincar. Cost about £18 and equals about 4 months supply, that's 120 doses once cut into 4. Boots would cost me 10 x that amount for 4 x 28 pills, ridiculous. I had to wait two weeks for my order so have been off it for two weeks, just back on the last few days. I'm going to give it a try for another 4 months, then see how it goes.

IMG_20150104_004727.jpgIMG_20150117_140141.jpgIMG_20150117_140256.jpgIMG_20150117_140314.jpgIMG_20150117_141229.jpgNo Flash.jpg

Few more pictures taken today, some in my bedroom with flash and some in the bathroom without flash, first picture the hair is recently clean and dried, the rest has had two days of Foam and no wash between. Not really sure what to think, it's just longer and a bit messed up but I will keep going for a bit more.

I'm am using nizoral 2% daily, it doesn't irritate my scalp. Kirkland Minoxidol foam 2 x daily. And now 1.25 fincar daily, was 1mg Propecia.