Almost 21 and pretty sure I have aggressive balding...

Yikeskev21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, this started when I was about 16-17 but I never paid much attention to it. My forehead has always been ginormous so that’s normal at least lol. My hair is very fine and gets greasy really easily, I’m noticing 5-10 hairs every shower which is alright I read but my hairline and sides is definitely not normal. Do I have aggressive balding or just really oily fine hair. Thanks.
Edit: I have to shower every single day or it looks like you can cook bacon from the grease

Attachments

• 80E4A46F-4ED3-40FC-971D-36088FDDA1C6.jpeg
    80E4A46F-4ED3-40FC-971D-36088FDDA1C6.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 559877EC-5A6C-4603-96BA-9A1EE9B44516.jpeg
    559877EC-5A6C-4603-96BA-9A1EE9B44516.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 252
  • E8A62C1B-D4AB-46D1-8C60-D57704990145.jpeg
    E8A62C1B-D4AB-46D1-8C60-D57704990145.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 273
  • A2FD81CE-BC16-49AB-BBCA-F6FCF33C99C8.jpeg
    A2FD81CE-BC16-49AB-BBCA-F6FCF33C99C8.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Yikeskev21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for replying, here’s some betterish ones sorry my camera sucks and I’m not that good w pictures.

Attachments

• 0DBD7A6E-1103-4552-B910-9DE1A1534AEB.jpeg
    0DBD7A6E-1103-4552-B910-9DE1A1534AEB.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 17719B0A-D369-47F7-807C-AE3D797E3BE3.jpeg
    17719B0A-D369-47F7-807C-AE3D797E3BE3.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 255
  • AA025E17-685E-4794-AC51-9976628DBC13.jpeg
    AA025E17-685E-4794-AC51-9976628DBC13.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 244
  • 598975C1-99D6-4B9D-9328-563A36A71512.jpeg
    598975C1-99D6-4B9D-9328-563A36A71512.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 251

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can relate to your experiences.

I also have to wash my hair daily, or it looks like its tossed into oil.

And I, as well, started to loose hair when puberty started for me.

Sebum overproduction is a symptome of higher androgen sensitivity.

Do you take any treatment?

When hair loss started in the teens, then you have aggressive hair loss. Mainstream stuff wont hold male pattern baldness in its bay, sadly.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair situation/condition is similar to mine (17 1/2 yo).

Yikeskev21

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pls_NW-1 it really sucks having greasy hair all the time, I hope your situation gets better. I’ve used countless shampoos and conditioners. Some even being $30+ for it to do nothing. So you think I have male pattern baldness/aggressive balding?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pls_NW-1 it really sucks having greasy hair all the time, I hope your situation gets better. I’ve used countless shampoos and conditioners. Some even being $30+ for it to do nothing. So you think I have male pattern baldness/aggressive balding?
Yes you have! You have androgenetic alopecia. There is no scale that shows in which pattern your hair will 100% start to thin out lol.

Everyone has individual pattern balding. In my and your case it's just all over the top (diffuse thinning). And I can see that your mid-splitt gets thinner and thinner (miniaturized hairs).

Aggressive hair loss is hard to halt. First line is finasteride. Talk with your doctor about it, as you are already 18+.

Luckily, my Doctor understands my seriousness and gave me 5mg finasteride lol, while being 17yo.

Remember: finasteride won't stop your hair loss, it will just SLOW it down. And in our condition it will slow it down for maybe 2-5 years.

My next approach is AA. Don't know oral or topical, but I prefer oral, as the topicals are not compareable to orals when it comes to effectivness. Don't take any AAs (anti-androgens) if you want to stay a man lol (and no, I am not trans lol)

You firstly gotta adress the underlying issue: clear up androgens, especially on the scalp, and try to find a sweet spot (effectivness <-> side effects)

Next step: growth stimulants (Minoxidil), stopping/breaking up fibrosis (dermapen) to encourage growth and anti histamina to reduce scalp inflammation.

Forget about magic snake oils etc lol.

Yikeskev21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow **** me. I’ve always been self conscious about my forehead I can only imagine what I’d look like bald. My dad has a full head of hair so I guess I got the **** end of the stick. I’ll definitely talk to my derm about finasteride, appreciate your help. Stay safe and blessed

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow **** me. I’ve always been self conscious about my forehead I can only imagine what I’d look like bald. My dad has a full head of hair so I guess I got the **** end of the stick. I’ll definitely talk to my derm about finasteride, appreciate your help. Stay safe and blessed
Yes, the sooner you act, the better! Stay safe as well! :)

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lmao, full of doctors here apparently.

Your hair is damp greasy and these pictures are trash, how can someone evaluate them properly? Wash it and take a couple of photos so someone can judge. In my honest opinion you have a widows peak, and this ''diffusing'' is just oiliness.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score

Your hair is damp greasy and these pictures are trash, how can someone evaluate them properly? Wash it and take a couple of photos so someone can judge. In my honest opinion you have a widows peak, and this ''diffusing'' is just oiliness.
Doctors, especially derms, are useless. The best doctor there is, is yourself lol.

This sentence is from a doctor.

Btw. Spotting diffuse thinning is hard, its first noticeable when you have lost 50+% density, and I can assure that.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well according to studies big foreheads are 1) more attractive to women and 2) a sign of intelligence. :)

whatintheworld

Reaction score

Agreed, why do people here take pictures in dark rooms with heavy combovers?

Cut your hair to a reasonable length, get a better phone or camera and go outside in the sunlight, then we'll be able to offer reasonable advice.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Yikeskev21
Buddy, no one here can diagnose hair loss looking at photographs like the ones you have posted.

You have fine dark greasy hair (which clumps together), when you shine a light on it and combine with camera flask / exposure you will see scalp due to the difference in scalp to hair contrast - that is perfectly normal.

And your hair line looks normal, especially given the combination of attributes mentioned above - attributes which appear in the photos to be displayed uniformly across your scalp from your hairline to your mid scalp and crown.

I’ve said it a million times on here, just because scalp is visible, it does not always equal diffuse thinning. Certain hair types display this characteristic where there is no balding present. My hair has been like this my whole life and I’m in my 40s with no change.

You family history is a key indicator also.

Give you hair a good wash, dry it and take a look under normal lighting. How does it look? Do you still feel you are balding?

If you do, see a dermatologist and have them make the diagnosis.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing that I can say with maturity, guys is that being passive aggressive doesn't help these guys asking for help. There are a couple of really grumpy geniuses on here that I avoid because they are complete assholes.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing that I can say with maturity, guys is that being passive aggressive doesn't help these guys asking for help. There are a couple of really grumpy geniuses on here that I avoid because they are complete assholes.
Assume you’re aiming that comment at me? With maturity also comes explaining to a 21 year old who has great hair that they might not be balding - I am simply offering a different perspective.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Assume you’re aiming that comment at me? With maturity also comes explaining to a 21 year old who has great hair that they might not be balding - I am simply offering a different perspective.
Buddy, no one here can diagnose hair loss looking at photographs like the ones you have posted.

You have fine dark greasy hair (which clumps together), when you shine a light on it and combine with camera flask / exposure you will see scalp due to the difference in scalp to hair contrast - that is perfectly normal.

I mean it's up to you but it comes off as know-it-all and as though that person is bothering you I am a lawyer so I notice argumentation more so. It wasn't the worst. There is one guy on here who is very intelligent but I avoid him like the dickens because he tells people they are stupid if they don't agree with him and he snorts when people haven't read some article from deep in the stacks and it's like to me, why bother? His hair sucks too but I digress.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
And as I pointed out above, there are very valid reasons for taking pics with dirty or oily hair because it highlights baldness. One trick that I teach people is that they should use a hand mirror and "try to make themselves look balding". If they can, then they are balding. This is what I still do on my crown and it has filled in after 36 years.

Now, if you want to talk about annoying questions, MtF's post pics and ask over and over "do I pass?" or "how am I doing?" and that annoys me so I don't respond anymore but I want to reply to every single one, "do you have mirrors at home?" All the boob questions annoy me so I stopped answering those since I was often short with the people myself. So no, I am far from perfect and I used to have to delete a lot of posts because I was getting to be annoyed all of the time so I understand. I am not saying I don't do it. I don't know. MtF's can be really annoying. At least here, people don't whine.

Last edited:

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an example of Janey being a jerk:

Q: I have been on HRT for 36 months now and it's not working.

Janey: What do you mean it's not working?

Q: Well, I mean I still am only an A cup.

Janey: Who told you to expect more than an A cup?

Q: Um, well.

Janey: Average size for MtF's is double A. Yes your meds are working. I don't know who tells all of you to expect substantial breast growth....

Not to mention having D cups made me arrogant and I knew that I was attractive so I posted nude pics. I have largely stopped going to the fora because I got in trouble less for rudeness and more so for saying things that were true that the cohort didn't want to hear like "you know that it is almost impossible to pass if you are over six feet" which half of them are, lol. So anyway, here people are less annoying and I enjoy myself much more especially the non-PC aspect. Goddess bless.

And MtF's argue nothing at all like cis-females while the FtM's who want to be all macho will complain if you mention that minoxidil beards look like crap or really anything. The FtM's will try to have you banned for saying anything they don't like. Hmm. XY's don't do that.
@JaneyElizabeth
I just read all of your posts above. I genuinely didn’t mean to come off in the way my post could have been taken - when I re- read it, I can see how you might have got that vibe. It wasn’t intentional.

I have suffered from paranio / OCD about hairloss that never actually happened and I am keen to help forum members understand that there are many external factors and also, personal qualities of one’s hair that can imitate thinning or balding, when it is not present. Many people ( particularly those that are young ) come to this forum panicking and where possible, I try to offer advice that helps reduce their anxiety, as I know how utterly punishing it can be. So many come here with great hair and are clearly suffering more from OCD / GAD etc.

Anyway, my original post wasn’t having a dig at you - in fact I hadn’t fully read the entire thread.

And in spite of you referring to me potentially as an “a**h**” I still like you - you seem like an interesting person ;-)