Almost 2 years on big 3... Hair not doing well the last few months

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't it pretty late for me to be having a shed that makes me lose all my progress? I'm not sure if switching from finpecia 1mg/ED to fincar 1.25mg/ED has done something, but that's all I've changed. I've been cutting it into 4ths, but I've heard the medication isn't evenly distributed throughout the pill. Doesn't this mean I could be getting nothing one day, then 2mg the next day, then 1mg, etc., so the dosing is all f*cked up? The way I rationalized this was telling myself, "well it's still 5mg every 4 days, so it shouldn't matter," but does it? I honestly don't know why I keep shedding. It's just non-stop.

Also, I used to shed primarily longer, healthy looking hairs. Now I'm shedding at LEAST 50% small, miniaturized looking hairs. I'm concerned as heck about what's going on...

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I took 1mg finasteride for almost a year with no real shedding then moved to 1.25 proscar and lost about 50% of my denisty throughout my entire head sides/back included. I stopped minoxidil when I switched though, so I contribute some of it to that, but I only applied minoxidil only to front half of my hairline.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I took 1mg finasteride for almost a year with no real shedding then moved to 1.25 proscar and lost about 50% of my denisty throughout my entire head sides/back included. I stopped minoxidil when I switched though, so I contribute some of it to that, but I only applied minoxidil only to front half of my hairline.

Did it come back? How long has it been?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I switched to 1.25 proscar and stopped minoxidil back in november 2015. minoxidil was giving me scalp irritation/seb derm and nothing helped so I chose to stop. Scalp problems went away so I started it back up 2 days ago, but chose to use it sparingly this time alongside keeping my scalp hydrated.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't it pretty late for me to be having a shed that makes me lose all my progress? I'm not sure if switching from finpecia 1mg/ED to fincar 1.25mg/ED has done something, but that's all I've changed. I've been cutting it into 4ths, but I've heard the medication isn't evenly distributed throughout the pill. Doesn't this mean I could be getting nothing one day, then 2mg the next day, then 1mg, etc., so the dosing is all f*cked up? The way I rationalized this was telling myself, "well it's still 5mg every 4 days, so it shouldn't matter," but does it? I honestly don't know why I keep shedding. It's just non-stop.

Also, I used to shed primarily longer, healthy looking hairs. Now I'm shedding at LEAST 50% small, miniaturized looking hairs. I'm concerned as heck about what's going on...

Just spent $80 and ordered a years worth of Finpecia from ADC... I can't take not knowing if the fincar is causing this or what. I don't know why I even switched. A years worth of fincar is $41, and a years worth of finpecia is $66. I'd only be saving $25 per year. Not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

I switched to 1.25 proscar and stopped minoxidil back in november 2015. minoxidil was giving me scalp irritation/seb derm and nothing helped so I chose to stop. Scalp problems went away so I started it back up 2 days ago, but chose to use it sparingly this time alongside keeping my scalp hydrated.

Geez. Did you go back to 1mg finasteride? Also, I use rogaine and haven't noticed any irritation. IT doesn't have the PPG. You should try it.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just spent $80 and ordered a years worth of Finpecia from ADC... I can't take not knowing if the fincar is causing this or what. I don't know why I even switched. A years worth of fincar is $41, and a years worth of finpecia is $66. I'd only be saving $25 per year. Not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Geez. Did you go back to 1mg finasteride? Also, I use rogaine and haven't noticed any irritation. IT doesn't have the PPG. You should try it.

Still gonna ride it out a little longer, was thinking of moving back to 1mg or adding dutasteride. Yeah I'm using foam now, instead of liquid and not using a full cap on a small area. Also kinda similar to you, when I was on 1mg I lost a mixture of both thin/thick hairs, more thick though. When I switched to 1.25 I noticed I exclusively lose minaturized looking hairs.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Still gonna ride it out a little longer, was thinking of moving back to 1mg or adding dutasteride. Yeah I'm using foam now, instead of liquid and not using a full cap on a small area. Also kinda similar to you, when I was on 1mg I lost a mixture of both thin/thick hairs, more thick though. When I switched to 1.25 I noticed I exclusively lose minaturized looking hairs.

Ever since I started fincar my hair has shed a lot, it's been finer/whispier/thinner, and my hairline has taken a BIG hit.

Did you switch back to 1mg?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry realized I never answered that question. No it has not unfortunately.

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
God damn this is depressing. Got a haircut today and while it doesn't look bad completely dry, when my hair is damp it's just terrible. My hairline is thin as hell on both sides, and my left temple has literally thinned out a full 1/2 inch. It's like I'm doing all this for nothing. Wish I would've never gotten on fincar. At least then I'd be sure it wasn't the finasteride.

I've also been using niacin for the flush, but I've heard it can be BAD for male pattern baldness. Nobody has any answers :sobbing:

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
It was around the same time. I started, very slowly, working in fincar 1.25mg once in a while, then I switched to it completely.