Almost 2.5 years on Finasteride, still seeing some improvements but how long can it last?

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a diffuse thinner my first year starting finasteride was rough, a lot of shedding, seemed like things were getting worse before they could get better. Year 2 was when things seemed to get better for me and my dentist told me how my hair looks thicker recently.

The question is how long is the maximum time anyone has seen where hair keeps getting better? Anyone heard of diffuse thinners still reversing miniaturization after 3, 4, and 5 years? I feel like I've been lucky for now and I know I will never get back to baseline because I waited too much but I wonder if it can keep improving. If anyone has anecdotes or stories let me know.

I think one day I will add minoxidil to the regimen but I want to see how far finasteride will take me before committing to minoxidil for the rest of my life.

Also, nizoral never did anything for me other than dry my hair out. It's never seemed worth it really unless you have bad scalp conditions or dandruff too.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol. How you can know that Ketoconazole don't work if you use Finasteride !? If you want total reversal keeping the same regimen , that simple is not going to happen . After the year mark, nothing more will improve .

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using nizoral for years both on and off finasteride. Whatever help it provided was barely noticeable. I can only say my personal experience was different. My 1 year mark was weaker compared to my 2 year mark. I've seen other long term improvement too like this study.

Also this one.

Last edited:

Valkyyr

My Regimen
Reaction score
The question is how long is the maximum time anyone has seen where hair keeps getting better?

And how long does it take to go completely bald for some individuals? Could be a decade. Reversing hairloss may take dozens of months.

Do you know that anagen phase can last up to 8 years? many times miniaturised hair needs a couple cycles to get back to it's "initial" thickness. That's why most people say treatments don't work for them.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The two doctors from The Hair Loss Show said that 14% of men experience thickening or regrowth during the first year and 26% experience it during the second year. There's no way to know how long you'll be able to maintain on finasteride since there aren't many long term studies other than the one you posted and that 10 year italian study with 118 men. I've read the story of a diffuser in tressless who claims to have started taking finasteride at 22 and maintained till 42 or 44, I can't remember. He quit due to his doctor's suggestion and because he didn't care about his hair anymore, and appreciated the extra libido in his forties. There's many stories of guys who have maintained for 10, 15 or even 20 years, some have to add duta eventually. Since you're a diffuser you may experience great regrowth once you add minoxidil.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never saw any regrowth(was only thinning in the corners). But after about 10 years, it started getting more aggressive. Now have been on for 15ish years years I think