Almost 10 years on Finasteride...

pd4pd

Reaction score
All,

However, after 10 years, Finasteride has started to lose its effectiveness. I am starting to see the horseshoe balding pattern coming...and it seems like it has come quickly...like within the last year.

Could I up the dose a little...to maybe 1.5 or 2 mg and expect to see anything? I am hoping that there is a dose-response mechanism involved.

I have tried Rogain liquid, but it burns my head up. Should I also try to add the Foam if the liquid made my head too ithcy?

Thanks in advance.

MrCurly

Reaction score
Increasing the finasteride dose won't do much, have you considered dutasteride?

You could try minoxidil without ppg..

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why won't increasing the dose help?

What's the mechanism that inhibits finasteride's effectiveness over time? Is it fully understood by science?

Most drugs (weed, alcohol) if you gain a tolerance, increasing the amount will give you the expected high, so why is it not the same with finasteride?

10 years is still a pretty damn good run though.

MrCurly

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
Why won't increasing the dose help?

I thought that increasing the dose wouldn't really inhibit more DHT, correct me if i'm wrong..

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
It doesn't, you are right McCurly.
finasteride isn't really dose dependent, there would be very small difference between 1mg of finasteride and 2mg, like it might inhibit 3-5% more DHT... Nothing significant and not worth it at all.

I'd go on dutasteride personally.

abcdefg

Reaction score
This is a big reason why I havent tried propecia yet. You end up spending thousands of dollars over 10 years only to most likely lose your hair anyways. Whats really the point? Theres a lot of risk and expense for not much of a gain. Theres not a lot of options right now if propecia stops working. Nothing else works well enough to really warrant using. You could try dutasteride but thats a pretty dangerous drug.

IBM

Reaction score
Go to dutasteride right now. And use Rogaine even if it burns your scalp.