All the hair i shed are thinner at the root

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on Proscar for over a year and Rogaine 5% for almost 2 years. Now my hair doesnt look worst than at the beginning of the treatement.
Is there any logic/explanation of the hair shed that is thinner at the root ?
My hair are about 1.5 inch long and most of the time, just by looking at it in the sink (or what ever the place i loose them) i can easily tell where is the root and where is the tip.
Is this normal that an hair can get thinner in just such a short time (4 month approx. for the hair to grow 1.5inch)

thanks.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair tapers when entering telogen so it should be thinner and less pigmented at the root. It's perfectly normal so relax :)

RS

Reaction score
But when a hair enters telogen, shouldn't it effectively fall out quiet fast?

I'm the same as this guy. My hair is around 1.5 - 2 inches long, and the uppper half of the hair that comes out is thick and pigmented, while the lower half is thin, unpigmented with a bulb at the end.

So in the telogen phase, the hair still grew 1inch of thin hair?

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that when a hair is/become in the tellogen state, it doesnt happend overnight, to my knowledge this is something that occur gradually. So maybe the hair that is going toward tellogen state is gradually missing some nutriment thus the root deconnecting gradually from the scalp, and as a results making the hair less colored and getting thinner until it falls.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

jayC99

Established Member
Reaction score
uhhh...

The hair is thinner at the root because DHT is causing the follicle to shrink, look it up...

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
''uhhh...

The hair is thinner at the root because DHT is causing the follicle to shrink, look it up...''

This is the 1Million dollars question... is this the results of DHT or is this regular Cycle of the hair to get thin at the root before it shed.
Thats where i dont share the same oppinion as yours, if it was DHT, the hair would get thinner i agree, but would it get thinner as fast as 1/2 inch toward the root... 98% of the hair i loose are coloured and thick at the end/tip of it, but when you look at the root, about 1/2 inch just before the root, you can gradually see the hair thinning until you see a bulb at the root.
To me it is more like a hair that has been disconnected from the cells that use to bring nutriment and as a results get thinner and thinner until it dies.
All this in 2 Month (1/2 inch of growth)

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an idea.... I will check with my young boy to see what type of hair he is loosing (if any) He is 15 and has a full head of hair.

I will let you know.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
grabber said:
I think that when a hair is/become in the tellogen state, it doesnt happend overnight, to my knowledge this is something that occur gradually. So maybe the hair that is going toward tellogen state is gradually missing some nutriment thus the root deconnecting gradually from the scalp, and as a results making the hair less colored and getting thinner until it falls.

you're right..its not an overnight process. and during the transition the hair may or may not taper. i dont believe it to be a bad sign. whats bad is if you lose short hair and these short hair taper off at the other end (not the root)...which would again..indicate short cycling..and that DHT is screwing the follicle to an extent that it only produces short hair...short anagen period.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
grabber said:

you're right..its not an overnight process. and during the transition the hair may or may not taper. i dont believe it to be a bad sign. whats bad is if you lose short hair and these short hair taper off at the other end (not the root)...which would again..indicate short cycling..and that DHT is screwing the follicle to an extent that it only produces short hair...short anagen period.

The problem I have with this is what if you're on finasteride for 4+ months and you notice yourself losing the short, thinner hairs? Could this not also be these hairs are shedding because new healthier hairs are pushing these short cycling hairs out?

Doesnt that make sense if you're a good responder? Keep in mind that most of the people on here are already on finasteride and have been for awhile. Shouldnt that theory apply more towards someone that isnt on any type of treatment?

Then again, I dont expect any of us to have a concrete answer to this and many other questions posted on these boards, because hair seems to be a really complex, mysterious thing.

arjun17

Reaction score
perfectly normal

Dude, all hairs taper to some extent when entering catagen (involution) phase. See for yourself - even pubic hairs (which are considerably thicker than scalp hairs, although they vary in diameter throughout the length of the hair unlike scalp hairs) taper a little towards the root, where there is a bulb. (And I can say with confidence that PPB (Pubic Pattern Baldness) is a very rare problem which hardly any of us suffer from :)
What you should worry about is if you are shedding many short , thinner hairs which are tapered at the TIP. This indicates short cycling hair, hair whose anagen phase is being shortened by DHT.
Cheers,
Arjun

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: perfectly normal

arjun17 said:
Dude, all hairs taper to some extent when entering catagen (involution) phase. See for yourself - even pubic hairs (which are considerably thicker than scalp hairs, although they vary in diameter throughout the length of the hair unlike scalp hairs) taper a little towards the root, where there is a bulb. (And I can say with confidence that PPB (Pubic Pattern Baldness) is a very rare problem which hardly any of us suffer from :)
What you should worry about is if you are shedding many short , thinner hairs which are tapered at the TIP. This indicates short cycling hair, hair whose anagen phase is being shortened by DHT.
Cheers,
Arjun

Not sure if this was supposed to apply to my questions or not, but that totally didn't answer my question.

arjun17

Reaction score
to wangho75

sorry my previous post was'nt answering your question I should have been specific as to who I was answering ; (
Anyway, losing short, thinner hairs while on finasteride could be a good sign - or a bad one as well. Good if healthier hairs with thicker diameter and longer anagen phases are replacing the shorter, thinner ones - the weaker hairs have to shed before better ones can grow. On the other hand, it could mean that male pattern baldness is just continuing as usual , with the finasteride making little to no difference. But if you can see noticeable REGROWTH, then rest assured that it's working.
Cheers,
Arjun