All PFS victims, please read.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Guys,

I've been continuing my research on PFS.

A stark trend on propeciahelp is that our body temperatures, almost unanimiously, present as low. A normal persons body temperature will fluctuate between high 36oC's to low 37oC (degrees centigrade).

I would urge everyone, to go out and attain a basic digital thermometer like this one:

http://www.boots.com/en/Omron-EcoTemp-B ... hermometer

All you have to do it stick it under your tongue for a minute a few times a day, to measure your temperature. Make sure not to do it after any real exercise (that includes a simple thing like going up and down stairs). You should get a good indication of where you are at quite quickly.

I purchased one at the weekend.

Here are my readings so far:

35.4 oC (last night before bed)
35.4 oC (first thing this morning)
35.2 oC (in work, today)

Clearly my body temperature, like many other PFS victims, is below optimum. This is worrying and indicative of problems.

What does a low body temperature indicate?

There are a few reasons for this. The most probable, for a PFS victim like, is two things:

- Hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid. Ironically this can be a cause of hairloss too)

- Hypoadrendia ("adrenal insufficiency" / "adrenal fatique)

Both the above are strongly connected to each other. Dr Crisler confirms that a strong percentage of his PFS patients present with adrendal problems (hypoadrendia). More confusingly, he notes that many of these also exhibit the exact symptoms you would associate with hypothyroidism without this being obvious in the bloods. Enter, subclinical hypothyroidism.

In short, many of us have adrenal and thyroid problems that need to be addressed in tandum. A notorious member on PH tried every protocol under the sun before trying pregnenolone (to address his adrenal issues) along with T3 (thyroid hormone). He has since attained full recovery. This corresponds to Chilln's espoused protocol. I will save the intricate treatment details for another thread; this thread is about finding accurate diagnosis.

So guys, I implore everyone that this applies to, to go and buy a basic thermometer and report back. I got mine for £4 in tesco. You can get them in any pharmacy and most shopping chains.

If you are getting bloods taken (yes, this will be essential). You need the following as a bare minimum. Don't let your endo tell you otherwise.

For adrenals:

- Progesterone
- Aldosterone
- Fasting Cortisol levels

What we also should avail of is salivary testing. A kit that takes for saliva samples throughout the day, to assess your cortisol levels of a 24hour period.

For thyroid:

Full thyroid profile:

TSH
Free T3
Free T4
Reverse T3

Desirable: Total T3 and Total T4.

Reverse T3 is of particular importance. It can flag up thyroid problems that would otherwise be hidden.

I've posted this because i appeciate this is an area this forum is pretty ignorant about, yet in many cases it's the most important area. The recovery rate for "chronic" PFS would appear low, but this is why.

Anyway, post your temperates in this thread, please.

Ende

Reaction score
I'll definitely keep an eye on this, although, as you know, I'm going in another direction.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
i have this one
is ok ?

termometro.jpg

Ende

Reaction score
Btw, you might be on to something Mens Rea. I know finasteride is able to affect the adrenals, because I had an androstenedione level which was twice as high as normal!!

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Propecia said:
i have this one
is ok ?

I'll leave it up to you to access its accuracy.

Enden said:
Btw, you might be on to something Mens Rea. I know finasteride is able to affect the adrenals, because I had an androstenedione level which was twice as high as normal!!

Yeah man, my aldosterone was through the floor (low).

It's pretty scarey to think my whole body temperate is sub-normal because of finasteride. That can't ever be good.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
Propecia said:
i have this one
is ok ?

I'll leave it up to you to access its accuracy.

i measured my temperature right now
36,4 dinner time
36,7 bedtime

i guess i'm out of this theory even if my thermometer isn't accurate

Mens Rea

Reaction score
It's not a theory Propecia. Some people will have the issues and others won't. All PFS victims are different hence differing recovery stories.

And no, that wouldn't write you off at all. You'll need 4 or 5 measurements. That could be your highest for all you know. That is actually lower than most normal people would have btw.

Enden, that's a good reading. Can you get a last thing at night reading and one first thing in the morning. If they're both good then that's a good thing for you :)

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
And no, that wouldn't write you off at all. You'll need 4 or 5 measurements. That could be your highest for all you know. That is actually lower than most normal people would have btw.

ok i'll take more measurements

i guess that my temp was generally above average
(just an impression)

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Propecia said:
Mens Rea said:

(just an impression)

If it works out as an average, then yes. But plenty of guys had similiar "high" measurements but their averages were still clearly lower than normal. (36.6-37.5)

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
If it works out as an average, then yes. But plenty of guys had similiar "high" measurements but their averages were still clearly lower than normal. (36.6-37.5)

ok.
i don't know much about. i'll take more measurements

if i remember well, when i was child/teen,
i had more or less between 36,3-36,6

we all have different approaches due to different degree of sides, unfortunately we only keep searching for solutions

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jesus, ain't that something interesting. Have more guys on propeciahelp done this and are they noticing the same trend?

Enden, your body temp is borderline hypothermia, man..

barcafan

Reaction score
Mens Rea said:
Propecia said:
[quote="Mens Rea":3jrq9qb0]

(just an impression)

If it works out as an average, then yes. But plenty of guys had similiar "high" measurements but their averages were still clearly lower than normal. (36.6-37.5)[/quote:3jrq9qb0]

36.6 is a perfect temperature. 37 degrees is too high, already starting fever; NOT optimal.

But i am also talking about under left armpit, not sure if under tongue is higher.

But yes, if your temperature is under 36 degrees, then you DEFINITELY have a problem.

Ende

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Wuffer said:
Enden, your body temp is borderline hypothermia, man..

Damn enden he's right if it doesn't go back up you need to talk to your docter about it ( I know doctors suck with PFS, but still)!
I'll be monitoring the temperature, see if there is any link between the body temperature and my symptoms. Interestingly enough, I had an T injection yesterday morning, throughout the day I had high libido - but still ED, and before bed, my symptoms had got worse - reduced libido and worse symptom of ED (typical symptoms of too low estrogen level), but now my libido is up again, and I woke up with a morning erection.