Alexey Terskikh Interview - Ask Questions At Hlc2020

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello sock puppets

While you're all debating whether or not I'm valuable to the community, whether I'm also that other person or an evil AI, this blog is taking questions for a doctor who made international headlines in 2015 with his hair regeneration research using ips cells at sanford burnham.

http://www.hairlosscure2020.com

He is ready to move into clinical studies

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand how they're having problems with funding since they've pretty much cracked it and are nearly ready to bring a cure to the market...

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just read the research article they were using embryonic stem cell i heard that there are ethical issues with them.

schtif

Reaction score
just read the research article they were using embryonic stem cell i heard that there are ethical issues with them.

From Wikipedia:

Embryonic stem cells (ES cells) are pluripotent stem cells derived from the inner cell mass of a blastocyst, an early-stage preimplantation embryo.[1][2] Human embryos reach the blastocyst stage 4–5 days post fertilization, at which time they consist of 50–150 cells. Isolating the embryoblast or inner cell mass (ICM) results in destruction of the blastocyst, which raises ethical issues, including whether or not embryos at the pre-implantation stage should be considered to have the same moral or legal status as more developed human beings.[3][4]

This might actually be a problem. Raising money for hair loss treatments is difficult enough as it is. Now add an ethical issue...

And here is the paper:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116892

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This might actually be a problem. Raising money for hair loss treatments is difficult enough as it is. Now add an ethical issue...

i think he have found a way to convert adult stem cell in to DP cells. thats why he is moving to clinic

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2017 be like
Raining-gifts-animated.gif

ahmad029

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to that article they are doing it via IPS cells.

the IPS cells were able to induce hair but at a lesser degree than ESC.
read this
"Different iPSC lines may have variable propensity to differentiate towards DP-like cells. Indeed, we had only modest success in generating DP-like cells with 1 out of 3 hiPSC lines used. The hiPSC-DP cells were not able to induce hair follicle formation when transplanted using patch method and had low frequency of incorporation into the DP of newly formed hair follicles. We speculate that this might be a result of the epigenetic memory phenomenon, known to influence IPSC differentiation [38,39,40]. The IPSC lines used for our experiments were derived from BJ fibroblasts [30]. Their mesodermal origin could cause difficulties on the first step of differentiation—induction of the ectodermal neural crest cells. Indeed, only some hIPSC-NC cells expressed neuroepithelial markers Sox2 and Sox9 (S4 Fig.). However, a global comparison of multiple hiPCS and hESC lines suggested that when sufficiently large numbers of hiPSC lines were compared with hESC lines a major overlap in their differentiation potential was observe [41]. Therefore although the absolute efficiency may vary between different hESC and hiPSC lines it should be possible to derive cells with hair-inducing properties from many hiPSC [42]."

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speaking of IPS cells, anyone know what happened to dr. Ooyama? He was that guy in the 2nd part of Shiseido's hair video who was experimenting with IPS cells for hair

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the IPS cells were able to induce hair but at a lesser degree than ESC.
read this
"Different iPSC lines may have variable propensity to differentiate towards DP-like cells. Indeed, we had only modest success in generating DP-like cells with 1 out of 3 hiPSC lines used. The hiPSC-DP cells were not able to induce hair follicle formation when transplanted using patch method and had low frequency of incorporation into the DP of newly formed hair follicles. We speculate that this might be a result of the epigenetic memory phenomenon, known to influence IPSC differentiation [38,39,40]. The IPSC lines used for our experiments were derived from BJ fibroblasts [30]. Their mesodermal origin could cause difficulties on the first step of differentiation—induction of the ectodermal neural crest cells. Indeed, only some hIPSC-NC cells expressed neuroepithelial markers Sox2 and Sox9 (S4 Fig.). However, a global comparison of multiple hiPCS and hESC lines suggested that when sufficiently large numbers of hiPSC lines were compared with hESC lines a major overlap in their differentiation potential was observe [41]. Therefore although the absolute efficiency may vary between different hESC and hiPSC lines it should be possible to derive cells with hair-inducing properties from many hiPSC [42]."

As long as it is viable with IPS cells, I cant see it becoming a commerical product if ESC cells have to be used.