ALCOHOL AND ITS EFFECTS ON SEX HORMONES

le voleur

Reaction score
ALCOHOL AND ITS EFFECTS ON SEX HORMONES

IN MEN AND POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMEN

by

Victoria Smejkal

Alcohol and its effects on sex hormones in men and in postmenopausal women will be reviewed. Two major studies show that in fact, alcohol does decrease testosterone production in men and it increases estrogen production in postmenopausal women. Whether this is good or bad is another question. Studies have found that moderate drinking does benefit postmenopausal women who are not on estrogen replacement therapy.

Alcohol consumption is prevalent in the United States as well as all around the world. It has been established by medical communities everywhere that alcohol consumption causes problems. In women, excessive alcohol intake increases the risk of both breast and endometrial cancer; which is cancer of the lining of the uterus. In men, drinking alcohol causes a decrease in the size of the testicles and an enlargement of the breasts. In both men and women, alcohol use leads to alcohol-induced cirrhosis. However, a moderate intake of alcohol can be beneficial in that it decreases the risk of cardiovascular disease: heart disease in men and women. I know someone who drinks quite a bit and I was curious to find out how drinking affects her in ways other tha n what was mentioned above. Many people drink alcohol without the knowledge of the consequences it has on hormonal status.

Testosterone

In a study by Gary Gordan, M.D., Kurt Altman, M.D., A. Louis Southern, M.D., Emanuele Rubin, M.D., and Charles Lieber, M.D., the effects of alcohol on testosterone metabolism were studied. For their experiment, they gathered eleven men from the age s of 21-40. Nine men out of the eleven only drank socially, while the other two men were chronic alcoholics. The alcoholics had to abstain a week before the experiment began. Then they were put on a control diet without alcohol for one more week. The men were split into two groups.

In the first group were five men. The two alcoholics were in this group. The testosterone A-ring reductase activity was measured in all of the men. Testosterone A-ring reductase is an enzyme that destroys testosterone. The metabolic clearance rate of t estosterone was tested in four out of the five men forty-eight hours before a liver biopsy was done. One alcoholic was not tested. The metabolic clearance rate is the rate at which testosterone is removed from the plasma of the blood. For four weeks, alco hol was administered to the men. Eighteen hours after alcohol consumption stopped, another liver biopsy was done. The metabolic clearance rate was also measured again.

The second group consisted of six men, all non-alcoholics. The metabolic clearance rate of testosterone was measured in four of the six men. Two days after that, samples of blood were taken. For four men, the blood was taken every half hour over a period of twenty-four hours. For two men, blood was taken every hour over a twenty-four hour period. This was done to measure the secretions of testosterone. Then, the testosterone levels in the plasma were measured in each blood sample. Alcohol was then given to the six men every day for twenty-five days.

The results of this experiment go as follows. In reference to testosterone A-ring reductase, Gordan and colleagues found that "alcohol administration resulted in a highly significant increase in enzyme activity in all subjects" (1976). The metaboli c clearance rate, in five out of the eight men tested, increased after thirteen to twenty-five days of alcohol consumption (Gordan et al.,1976). The plasma concentration of testosterone decreased in all subjects after just five days of alcohol exposure (Gordan et al.,1976). The secretion patterns of testosterone also weakened as a result of alcohol consumption (Gordan et al.,1976). The actual production r ate of testosterone decreased in three of the four men it was measured. The fourth man had gastric discomfort , so his doses of alcohol were reduced (Gordan et al.,1976). His testosterone production rate increased slightly (Gordan et al.,1976).

Alcohol consumption, then leads to lower levels of testosterone. From this they also experience decreased muscle function, anemia, altered immune function, and decreased reproductive abilities (M.A. Emanuele, N. LaPaglia, J. Steiner, K. Jabamoni, M . Hansen, L. Kirsteins, and N.V. Emanuele, 1998).

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually saw a documentary on that, they said extended uses of alcohol can causes lower amounts of testosterone indefinitely

whether this helps hairloss or not doesnt matter, you cant get an erection without testosterone

drinkrum

Reaction score
What I know, and my girlfriends can attest -- is that if I drink more than a handful of beers/shots, my junior is going to be floppy -- no matter how much foreplay.

D.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
thats not something you have to give us your word about because it's fact

le voleur

Reaction score
zak84 said:
I actually saw a documentary on that, they said extended uses of alcohol can causes lower amounts of testosterone indefinitely

whether this helps hairloss or not doesnt matter, you cant get an erection without testosterone

Unless you're willing to trade your ability to have an erection in order to keep your hair. It's like making a pact with the devil. He always wants something in return.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
why do people respond to what i say without reading my statements?