Akebono's story (with pics)

akebono

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been going around the net looking for a solution to my hair loss and finally came to this site. I've been lurking around for about a month or so, and finally decided to go out with my story.

I am now 36 years old, and I started losing my hair during my early twenties. Boths side of my family have some history of hair loss but at least both my grandfathers and father still have some hair left mostly on the sides and some on the crown. The pattern for hair loss in my family is mostly on the crown and the vertex. Hopefully, I will be a good candidate for Finasteride and Minoxidil treatment. Presently, I classify myself as Norwood 2V.

I did nothing for several years, until Minoxidil (in 1% solution) became available in Japan (where I am located) about six years ago. Since then, I have been maitaining my hair with 1% or 2% solution Minoxidil, but I only apply it in the evenings before I go to sleep (big mistake!), because it messes up my hair in the morning. Even then, Minoxidil did help a little bit, as I noticed many of my colleagues in the office who has more hair than I had before are now balding more than I am. But I noticed recently that the thinning in the vertex has gone worse, and I decided to take some action. Through the forums here, I learned about Finasteride and that the combination of 1.25mg Finasteride + 5% Minoxidil seems to work well. I have started this regiment this week, and I hope to give an update every month.

For the time being, here are the pics as of week 1.
Crown
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4513/week1topsmall8ag.jpg
Vertex
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5306/week1backsmall8ry.jpg

Good luck to all!!

regards,
Akebono

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
Solid regimen, though i would suggest adding Nizoral Shampoo. It would help with inflammation, built-up minoxidil residue, and it's actually been shown to have some anti-DHT properties.

Best of luck!

fantasiauae

Reaction score
Akebono,

Im an expat living in Japan. Do you know where I can get propecia and do I need a subscription?

Watashi wa gaijin. Nihon wa Doko ni propecia ni arimas ka? (A beginners Japanese) :shock:

akebono

Reaction score
Solid regimen, though i would suggest adding Nizoral Shampoo. It would help with inflammation, built-up minoxidil residue, and it's actually been shown to have some anti-DHT properties.

Best of luck!
Hi cook'n'milkies!
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I don't experience any inflammation right now, and I'm using a Japanese brand shampoo called Pre-Riup, which was designed for use together with the Japanese brand Minoxidil called Ri-up. But I'll try to get my hands on Nizoral though :lol:

Im an expat living in Japan. Do you know where I can get propecia and do I need a subscription?

Hi fantasiauae,
Your Japanese sounds great! :lol:
I order my finasteride and minoxidil from Hair2Go. Here's the link:
http://hair2go.oc.to/
You don't need a prescription to order Propecia as long as it's for private use. The site is in Japanese, so you'd better ask a Japanese colleague to help you in ordering.
Although I haven't tried them yet, I heard that United Pharmacies can also send deliveries to Japan. Here's the link:
http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/

Good luck to you too!!

kind regards,
Akebono

fantasiauae

Reaction score
Domo, Arigatou Gozaimas. :hairy:

I will get one of my collegues to make the order, as the Propecia I have will be coming to an end soon.

akebono

Reaction score
One month update

I have been on 1.25 mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil 2x daily for about a month now. I didn't have any major side effects with finasteride, although I did feel some sligh testicle pain at one point in time.

It seems that I'm in a shedding phase now, as I can see more scalp. The upside is that hair that remains on my head seems to be stronger and thicker with more body compared to before. I'm giving it at least six months before I can give a full assessment whether I'm responding to my regimen or not.

The other thing I noticed is that my body hairs, especially in the arms, grew longer. I don't know if this is a side effect of taking finasteride.

Hope I can post some pictures soon. For now, good luck to all in our fight!

regards,
Akebono