Aggressive Hairloss. Is It Even male pattern baldness?

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it even male pattern baldness? https://imgur.com/a/cNqTs3X

Im 25 yo, please check the pics in the link. im on finasteride for more than 6 months but still no improvements. looking back 5~6 years ago my hair was healthy and normal..i have no idea what causes this to happen so fast. my brother who is older than me has thick hair and slight temple recession.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. It is. Your galea seems big. Men with big galeas as your typically go bald.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d go check it out. Its either some autoimmune disorder or its diffused thinning/DUPA.

If its the latter, you’re probably out of luck unless you want to try HRT (feminization).

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for the comments guys.

You are just starting to realize you are balding?

no, as i said im taking finasteride for more than 6 months. my hairloss was very sudden around 3 years ago and i didnt notice the gradual changes because i keep my hair short. i read that most people realize they are balding after losing 50% density..in my case it was probably true. anyways i doubt this is just male pattern baldness, i think something else is contributing to my hairloss and wanted to hear other opinions.

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is it even male pattern baldness? https://imgur.com/a/cNqTs3X

Im 25 yo, please check the pics in the link. im on finasteride for more than 6 months but still no improvements. looking back 5~6 years ago my hair was healthy and normal..i have no idea what causes this to happen so fast. my brother who is older than me has thick hair and slight temple recession.

It’s definitely male pattern baldness, but it looks like you got the deluxe edition that includes retrograde alopecia and diffuse thinning. The former is the thinning of areas usually excluded (area above the sideburns and ears), the latter is the general thinning throughout the entire area of vulnerable hair. I’m sorry to have to tell you that, as it’s basically the worst hand you can be dealt.

Best case is that finasteride triggered a massive shed and it simply hasn’t grown back in yet. You need 12-18 months to know for sure what finasteride can do for you and it can look worse in the short term. But, I don’t know what the odds are on that without any baseline pictures from before hair loss and from the time you started taking finasteride. Those will probably give you your answer. If this is where you were when you started finasteride, then it’s likely your high water mark. If it’s noticably worse now than when you started, there’s some hope.

Last edited:

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s definitely male pattern baldness, but it looks like you got the deluxe edition that includes retrograde alopecia and diffuse thinning. The former is the thinning of areas usually excluded (area above the sideburns and ears), the latter is the general thinning throughout the entire area of vulnerable hair. I’m sorry to have to tell you that, as it’s basically the worst hand you can be dealt.

Best case is that finasteride triggered a massive shed and it simply hasn’t grown back in yet. You need 12-18 months to know for sure what finasteride can do for you and it can look worse in the short term. But, I don’t know what the odds are on that without any baseline pictures from before hair loss and from the time you started taking finasteride. Those will probably give you your answer. If this is where you were when you started finasteride, then it’s likely your high water mark. If it’s noticably worse now than when you started, there’s some hope.

i dont have great pictures from before starting finasteride, but in my opinion it was very similar to current situation.(i didnt see a huge shed or change in hair overall) you can see more pictures in my old thread (before starting finasteride) and a few pics from 2013 and 2007-8

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/terrible-hair-thinning-need-advice.127500/

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
It is male pattern baldness unfortunately, and the most aggressive kind which will take you to Norwood 7 most likely.

I'm sorry for your situation, I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel. The best bet you can try is dutasteride + minoxidil + derma rolling and see what happens, but don't expect miracles. I don't think finasteride is strong enough in your case to make a difference.

The easiest thing to try would be to shave your head and see how you like it. It's not for everyone, but if you work out, get a little bit more tan, and grow out some stubble, you should be able to look ok.

Due to your thinning in the donor region I doubt you would be a transplant candidate unfortunately.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
HRT or shave sadly, a system if you are comfortable with wearing one. No harm in trying dutasteride and oral min or topical+dermarolling, you have nothing to lose.

crikey1980

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi marakzah,
No 25 year old should have diffuse thinning but this is life and here we are.
I would go to a top rated dermatologist too see if its something other than male pattern baldness.
If he says it's male pattern baldness than I would either
A. Shave my head.
B. Get a hair system, you would probably have to shave the sides to a 0 due to the diffuse thinning and have a topper, this looks good on some people
C. Get on finesteride, minoxidil ext.
I wish you all the luck mate.

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Just learned of retrograde for the first time. Can it be treated via similar methods as the androgenic one, or receding? I used to only have receding + retrograde (I realize now) but after transplant and find I got diffused too. Other than recession the other 2 seem pretty slow though.

bonbonz

My Regimen
Reaction score
This looks very similar to mine at a similar age. My hair also went from very thick to something like this in about a two year span. Have you noticed any further thinning or has it stopped for a bit? Keep us updated if you see any progress with the suggestions above please.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello my friend, i am french so i apologise in advance for my english.

I do have the same pattern as you, 28 years old , thinning and overall shedding back, side, and top and my hairline is quite not touched actually. I think it is DUPA and it is similar to female pattern hair loss actually.

Some studies showed that high prolactin level can cause hair on side and back to become sensitive to androgen as well. So might be something to dig in. Also annecdotally, it seems that DUPA sufferer are sensitive to DHT but also to Free testosterone in scalp. Apparently DHT seem to cause localised thinning where testosterone cause diffuse thinning.

If you have been to a dermatologist, i hope she gave you a full bloodwork to do because besides that they are useless,

You need to check for :
-nutritionnal defficiency
-metabolism glucidic ((Glucose, insuline sensitivity,)
- full hormonal check : cortisol, LH ,FSH ,Prolactine, E2,17OH progesterone, progesterone, SHBG, testosterone total, free T, androstanediol G6470, delta 4 androstenedione, DHEA-S, DHT ....
- inflamatory syndrom ...

I am going to do a full blood check this friday, so i will send you the result here in 2 weeks if you want. If you have done a full blood work too, it will be great to compare it to check for similitude.

To tell you a bit about myself i started to lose hair all over since 3 years now.
I only started 7 month ago to take 1 mg finasteride daily, but it has thin my hair considerably because of the boost of scalp tesoterone it caused i think. I tried to add different antiandrogen topically such as ru58841 to tackle the rise in T (had to stop due to chest pain , shortness of breath), i used now topical cb0301 30mg/day but it is not enough powerful so it doesn't do sh*t. I am going to try topical bicalutamide now soon as it is a stronger AA and i think we have to fight testoerone as well.
Besides finasteride + cb0301 i don't take any supplement and it didn't stop my shedding at all.

I am curious to know about how much you lose hair per day, what regimen are you on, it seems you use minoxidil, dit it worked on you ? and how you manage to apply it all over your head ?

Also can you share if anything in your regimen has improved your situation so far or make it worse. Would be great to share info

You can send me a message privately as well.

Looking forward helping each other to solve that sh*t.

Best regard