"age-related" (diffuse) Thinning In Older Men

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One phenomenon I've noticed in older people that essentially have full heads of hair (stable NW3s or less) is gradual diffuse thinning of the hair all over the scalp. My father, who is 55, essentially has had a NW2ish hairline for decades, but has developed a decent amount of thinning all over his scalp over the past 5 years. Yet in some older people, there seems to be zero drop in hair density (Ronald Reagan, for instance).

Is there some explanation for this phenomenon?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm guessing the amount of hair you have decreases for every decade, regardless of male pattern baldness. Density stays the same.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be the older we get the more dht is stored in our prostates. They enlarge as we age to.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
One phenomenon I've noticed in older people that essentially have full heads of hair (stable NW3s or less) is gradual diffuse thinning of the hair all over the scalp. My father, who is 55, essentially has had a NW2ish hairline for decades, but has developed a decent amount of thinning all over his scalp over the past 5 years. Yet in some older people, there seems to be zero drop in hair density (Ronald Reagan, for instance).

Is there some explanation for this phenomenon?
Ronald Reagan may have experienced this but he started off with supper dense thick hair. So over the years, the diameter of the hair shaft supposedly gets smaller as we age. And if you go gray, it kind of will look thinner too but Reagan supposedly never went gray so he will give the illusion of thicker hair. If you have fine hair and natural low density from birth, you will show hair loss in a diffuse pattern (more obvious than someone with super thick hair)later in life when you get senile alopecia. In your case, you have super thick hair so you are lucky. The best case scenario is to have hair so thick, you can't see scalp. It makes for great hair transplantation since you don't have to use as many grafts to look thick.