After wearing for 2 years, I have decided to shave my head

evasive

Reaction score
I have been wearing for 2 years.

What I found is that good looks are overrated. When I was balding (before the hair system), I would stare at every guy with a full head of hair with jealousy and envy.
But after wearing a hair system for 2 years, I realize having hair on my head did not make a big difference in my life quality.
Yes, I looked "better" and younger when I looked at myself in the mirror, but I did not feel any better on the inside.
I did not find that my confidence or self esteem increased. Maybe it was even bad for my mental health.
For me, it felt like a band aid solution - it covered up the problem...sweeped it under the rug. But the real problem was a lack of self acceptance and fixating too much on my looks.
I would see guys in the gym with shaved heads and I would respect them more because here I was, paying hundreds of dollars a month to attach hair to my head, worrying about my hairline lifting, worrying about people detecting I'm wearing a hair system... and those guys just accepted it.

As I get older into my mid-30's I realize now that happiness is internal. It does not come from external things.
And yes, I might look a bit uglier without the hair system. And yes, I might not have the same options when it comes to dating. But it's fine. I would rather find a girl who accepts me for the way I look. Who cares if shes not a bombshell beauty? Every girl you date, you get bored of their looks after 1 year anyway. I'd rather get a girl based on my confidence/personality and who I could be my true self around. If I have to find a less prettier girl who accepts me for me, then that's totally fine.

On a side note, I do have a girlfriend. Shes okay with my decision and just wants me to keep the beard and told me it's a good idea to shave my head and to save lots more money per month. But the reality is, I don't even care if she leaves me either if I don't have hair - that just means she wasn't the right girl for me.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting a hair system. Give it a shot like I did. Every balding man's journey is different. I just decided it is time for me to surrender.

Last edited:

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right on dude. Looking at when you made your account its clear that you’ve been battling the beast for too long. Although in the near future there might be some things you can do to actually have a naturally full head of hair, it seems like you made the right choice. I agreed with 100% of the things in your message, and I doubt your girlfriend will leave you because you do not want to wear your system anymore. Hope you start finding some self-acceptance.

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your decision and have accepted that you can be confident even without hair. That being said I wish it was this easy for me and a lot of other guys who just cannot by any means pull off the shaved head look.

I'm curious if you can share (in a summary) what your overall experience was like wearing? You say you always worried about lifting or people detecting your system- can you elaborate on that?

Thanks.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't agree with your post at all. I have always - since well prior to puberty - attended seriously to my appearance as I've always felt it's critically important.

I should say I have an exceptionally beautiful mother &, as far as I recall, all my father's friends & colleagues had pretty wives.

I remember being devestated when I started school & seeing that my male teachers didn't have pretty wives.

As men, we are lucky insofar as the laws of attractive don't work the same for both sexes. It's unquestionable that status is the best asset a man can have, and beauty the best a woman can. If that sounds shallow, I don't care - as it's the unequivocal truth.

I do feel I've applied the enormous weight I put on women's appearances to myself, but I don't regret it as I've always been successful women, which is the highest priority to me, by far.

What the average man wants doesn't apply to me, I don't think. My tastes are very parochial. I care about women & attention, and very little else - so, for me, having hair is critical.

If I looked better bald, I'd be happy as I think standard (non fully shaved head) male pattern baldness is the classiest of looks for a man, but that's not the case for me.

I'd never be able to reconcile doing something which would make me less appealng to women for the reasons you state

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should ONLY wear a hair system for YOU.

I shaved my head for 30 years before getting one. I love them (heck now I sell them). It's about what makes YOU feel good. I had a client a few weeks ago, sitting in the chair, waiting to start a remove/clean and replace. He is a long-time hair wearer who said he had enough. Within 10 seconds I had the clippers out... and I shaved him bald. He was a bit in shock, actually. I enjoyed it.

I have another client who is on the fence... and as a backup, we have a system for him that he can do a fully shaved undercut (Peaky Blinders) in case he chickens out.

I said I will support you in whatever you decide as long as you let ME be the one to shave you (he loves my shaves).

Good luck... you can always change your mined, or not.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very personal experience.

There are huge drawbacks to wearing a system, and to not. We all know this.

It's good to hear your decision all the same. I appreciate I may follow it one day myself.

Good luck with everything!

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree the system should be for you. If you are cool with being bald and accepting it, more power to you. I mean all of us who wear a system are bald or balding so theres that. For me I am a bit of a pain in the sense that when I want something i will do whatever it takes to get or achieve it, and that was me with wanting to have my hair back. I was adamantly against systems initially, and my first system ever made me realise even more so why lol.

Having a system is definitely a challenge especially in the beginning. However since stopping relying on a salon and receiving great support from this community and others my costs have dropped significantly. Maybe I will get to the point where I will be done with it and shave my head but in the meantime I enjoy having this new lease on hair, as I struggled with hair loss from like grade 10. Never did anything with my hair because of that. Now with this system i do under cuts and fades and this and that I would never be able to do previously.
I used to care a lot what others think, but honestly everyone can suck it lol you learn to not give a crap about what others think. I know my hair looks good, and thats all that matters to me. People will talk sh*t no matter what whether its hair or looks or weight or anything. Im glad youre doing you, OP. Good on you man

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice, the good thing about hair systems is you can always use them again if you want too and it's not a permanent decision. It doesn't have to be all about confidence as much as just deciding to change up your look if you get bored of the same style

CHAROUT

My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont what you are saying ,but i was saved ,its a very good for my psychology.I do not want to be upset, anyone

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hope your not mad after you ditched it and now you learn it should have only run you an average of 25 dollars a month

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't agree with your post at all. I have always - since well prior to puberty - attended seriously to my appearance as I've always felt it's critically important.

I should say I have an exceptionally beautiful mother &, as far as I recall, all my father's friends & colleagues had pretty wives.

I remember being devestated when I started school & seeing that my male teachers didn't have pretty wives.

As men, we are lucky insofar as the laws of attractive don't work the same for both sexes. It's unquestionable that status is the best asset a man can have, and beauty the best a woman can. If that sounds shallow, I don't care - as it's the unequivocal truth.

I do feel I've applied the enormous weight I put on women's appearances to myself, but I don't regret it as I've always been successful women, which is the highest priority to me, by far.

What the average man wants doesn't apply to me, I don't think. My tastes are very parochial. I care about women & attention, and very little else - so, for me, having hair is critical.

If I looked better bald, I'd be happy as I think standard (non fully shaved head) male pattern baldness is the classiest of looks for a man, but that's not the case for me.

I'd never be able to reconcile doing something which would make me less appealng to women for the reasons you state
Remind me again why you do daily wear?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't like sleeping w the system on. I just find it really uncomfortable. I'm sure I could get used to it, and I've slept in units for semi-extended periods, but I prefer to wear it as little as possible.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been wearing for 2 years.

What I found is that good looks are overrated. When I was balding (before the hair system), I would stare at every guy with a full head of hair with jealousy and envy.
But after wearing a hair system for 2 years, I realize having hair on my head did not make a big difference in my life quality.
Yes, I looked "better" and younger when I looked at myself in the mirror, but I did not feel any better on the inside.
I did not find that my confidence or self esteem increased. Maybe it was even bad for my mental health.
For me, it felt like a band aid solution - it covered up the problem...sweeped it under the rug. But the real problem was a lack of self acceptance and fixating too much on my looks.
I would see guys in the gym with shaved heads and I would respect them more because here I was, paying hundreds of dollars a month to attach hair to my head, worrying about my hairline lifting, worrying about people detecting I'm wearing a hair system... and those guys just accepted it.

As I get older into my mid-30's I realize now that happiness is internal. It does not come from external things.
And yes, I might look a bit uglier without the hair system. And yes, I might not have the same options when it comes to dating. But it's fine. I would rather find a girl who accepts me for the way I look. Who cares if shes not a bombshell beauty? Every girl you date, you get bored of their looks after 1 year anyway. I'd rather get a girl based on my confidence/personality and who I could be my true self around. If I have to find a less prettier girl who accepts me for me, then that's totally fine.

On a side note, I do have a girlfriend. Shes okay with my decision and just wants me to keep the beard and told me it's a good idea to shave my head and to save lots more money per month. But the reality is, I don't even care if she leaves me either if I don't have hair - that just means she wasn't the right girl for me.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting a hair system. Give it a shot like I did. Every balding man's journey is different. I just decided it is time for me to surrender.
Cheers bro

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't like sleeping w the system on. I just find it really uncomfortable. I'm sure I could get used to it, and I've slept in units for semi-extended periods, but I prefer to wear it as little as possible.

Do you really detach / reattach your hair system every day? Wow, that must be a lot of work for a glued or taped system. I wear mine on average 2 weeks at a time.