After some reading and your answers...I think I've caused

VeryUpset

Reaction score
my own hair loss.

1. I don't wash my hair as often as I should.
2. I used to moose/gel it and not wash it out.

What have I done? Did I give PMB a kick start?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: After some reading and your answers...I think I've cause

VeryUpset said:
my own hair loss.

No. These things do not cause male pattern baldness. Genes and hormones are the primary causes. Do not blame yourself.

ShedMaster

Reaction score

Weepy said:
VeryUpset said:
my own hair loss.

No. These things do not cause male pattern baldness. Genes and hormones are the primary causes. Do not blame yourself.

Agreed. Not washing hair enough, IMO, can only really effect your hairloss if you are using topicals and therefore they are not able to fully penetrate your scalp because of the gels/mooses that are left in the hair. This is not going to directly contribute to your hairloss.

Many people who start hairloss treatments wish they had simply started earlier when they had more hair to save. This sounds like your situation.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gel and moose did nothing....look at uncle jesse from full house and his mouse obsession.

Not washing it on the other hand...i tried that when i first noticed hair loss...and my scalp got so inflamed i had chunks of dandruff the size of my fingernails coming off..im sure that did wonders for my scalp.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score

VeryUpset said:
my own hair loss.

Androgenetic Alopecia (male pattern baldness), as other have subsequently said, is caused by hormones not cosmetics.

The main known factor that causes Androgenetic Alopecia is DHT. Free roaming testosterone infuses into hair follicles cells from the bloodstream. The 5ar enzyme then converts the testosterone into DHT. The DHT (along with any other androgen) binds to the androgen receptor which then signals the cell nucleus of the presents of androgens. The cell nucleus then "expresses" certain genetic code that has a negative effect on the growth of the hair follicle; The hair follicle atrophies and, eventually, dies permanently.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score

VeryUpset said:
What have I done? Did I give male pattern baldness a kick start?

...er....no.

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer that although this is not a cause of hairloss in it's own, using massive amounts of gel, hairspray, etc. But if you are prone to hair loss, and it's in your genes, using massive amounts of hair styling products does make the onset a little earlier. I know there was always this one spot at my hair line which I always tried to tame with using lots of hair spray on that one spot. And that is the first spot where I saw on my head that started to bald. But also I know someone that never used hair styling products in their life, and started losing his hair at the same time as me (I pretty much grew up with him). And I know someone that uses massive amounts of hair styling products and has the thickest fullest head of hair. So in conclusion, the number one factor is hereditary, but the enviroment which you subject your scalp to is a secondary factor.

Remember it's not a fact, there have been NO scientific studies that proves hairstyle products cause hairloss. My conclusion comes from my own reasoning and judgements.