After Over A Year On minoxidil, My Eyes Are Terrible

dogmatica

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been over year since I started - I have (well, at the time - maybe it'll progress if I stop) not too terrible diffuse thinning on top. It's worked pretty well for me - thickened things up.

The last few weeks my eyes look really, really bad - major puffiness and dark circles underneath, and they burn/feel hella dry. I look like death but I feel fine. Sleep is decent, salt intake is average. I've been researching this like crazy (the puffy/dark circle thing), and just now I remembered reading about people who experienced this from minoxidil. I apply 1 cap a day to a damp scalp.

I guess the only way to know is to stop? Completely? Cut down? Have off days?

Man, this sucks if that's what it is - good on the one hand if it is as I can help my eyes by stopping, but awful for my hair if I stop. Lame.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? Did stopping/cutting back/ doing it on dry hair help?

I love having thicker hair but looking like I'm dying isn't exactly worth it.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You probably don't want to so no problems if so but any chance of a photo of just the eye area?
I'm considering getting onto Min regularly again and weighing up options or potential effects

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been over year since I started - I have (well, at the time - maybe it'll progress if I stop) not too terrible diffuse thinning on top. It's worked pretty well for me - thickened things up.

The last few weeks my eyes look really, really bad - major puffiness and dark circles underneath, and they burn/feel hella dry. I look like death but I feel fine. Sleep is decent, salt intake is average. I've been researching this like crazy (the puffy/dark circle thing), and just now I remembered reading about people who experienced this from minoxidil. I apply 1 cap a day to a damp scalp.

Man, this sucks if that's what it is - good on the one hand if it is as I can help my eyes by stopping, but awful for my hair if I stop. Lame.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? Did stopping/cutting back/ doing it on dry hair help?

Same for me. Low blood pressure and my eyes were horrific. Stopt taking it and it cleared itself.

Jimm

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Not looking great is one thing, but, really--and this is always last on anyone's mind on a hair loss forum--, it's also a sign things aren't working seamlessly on the inside. It could be that too much is going systemic, or it could be that your body just doesn't know how to deal with it anymore. You're already doing once a day, which is good. Personally, I'd suggest cutting back for two weeks, reevaluate, and then either continue or terminate the treatment if you feel that things aren't improving/are getting worse. Either try less per day, or maybe skip a day here and there. In theory, it could also be that since you're applying on a damp scalp you're absorbing an excess that most people usually just get caught in their hair.

Keep us updated. I'm thinking of starting minoxidil soon. Diffused as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you could also alternate between a 5% (which is what I assume you're using) and a 2%. Could also just do a lower concentration.

Last edited:

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not looking great is one thing, but, really--and this is always last on anyone's mind on a hair loss forum--, it's also a sign things aren't working seamlessly on the inside. It could be that too much is going systemic, or it could be that your body just doesn't know how to deal with it anymore. You're already doing once a day, which is good. Personally, I'd suggest cutting back for two weeks, reevaluate, and then either continue or terminate the treatment if you feel that things aren't improving/are getting worse. Either try less per day, or maybe skip a day here and there. In theory, it could also be that since you're applying on a damp scalp you're absorbing an excess that most people usually just get caught in their hair.

Keep us updated. I'm thinking of starting minoxidil soon. Diffused as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you could also alternate between a 5% (which is what I assume you're using) and a 2%. Could also just do a lower concentration.

Tried it all. With no succes for myself. Body cant handle it. Blood pressure drops so much that i get sick. Bummed out by it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess you could try on dry hair instead of damp, damp hair increases the absorption.