After how long does visible regrowth occur with finasteride?

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for almost 5 months, my hair is pretty much the same as it was before, no further loss but no regrowth. If I am to get visible regrowth from finasteride, after how long is it supposed to occur?

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it was 6 months.
Either way I will give it a whole year. If after a year I see no new growth then I will drop the minoxdil and just carry on with finasteride alone.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
1.5-2 years is usually the "max growth" time

but it is different for everyone, that's just an average of everyone in their studies.

i'm at the 5 month mark this weekend too....not really much if any regrowth but loss has stopped so far

Wolfgard

Reaction score
was using Propecia for 6 years (I'm 32 y/o)with great success : the hair loss halted almost totally. No gain was seemed but since I still had quite a lot of hair I didn't mind. No side effects eather.
About 4 month ago, I started to lose hair like crazy, much more than before starting Propecia treatment and now I have almost visible scalp (diffused thinning) , 5 month only after heaving almost full head of hair.

shakyjake

Reaction score
It took 6 months before I noticed that, hey, my hair was a lot thicker.

However, after about 3 years I started thinning again. So, unfortunately, it's not a permanent solution. Enjoy it while you can, I suppose.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
it all depends on the person really. the general idea of it is that propecia isn't a growth stimulant but it can help to ''strengthen'' or whatever the word is, follicles which aren't beyond repair. so hairs which only just started to miniaturise might be sorted within 3 months but ones which are a little further along could take a while longer. it works in your growth cycles so it could take 10 months to a year but you should ideally get some 'regrowth' where the vellus hairs have become strengthened over a couple cycles and gotten their asses back into gear.

feel free to correct anything which i said wrong there but that's how i understand it.

shakyjake said:
However, after about 3 years I started thinning again. So, unfortunately, it's not a permanent solution. Enjoy it while you can, I suppose.
hey, just thought you might want to check this out. maybe you already tried, i dunno, but it's worth not giving up on your hair if you did prove to be a good responder to finasteride.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I think Propecia is a growth stimulant just like Minoxidil.

It's a myth that Propecia only stops further loss. It has proven to regrow some hair in 48% of men.