Afro Vacancy Hair Transplant With Dr. Emrah Cinik, 2750 Grafts

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a hair transplant with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, Turkey on August 1st, 2019. They moved 2,750 grafts from the back of my head, almost entirely to my lower third with a few reserved for the crown. The goal was to solidify and slightly lower my hairline, but not to restore my juvenile hairline. It's still a mature hairline just a less mature one, maybe a NW1.5, a la @Wolf Pack. I went with Dr. Emrah Cinik in part due too the positive experience of @spring15, who has posted a thread here detailing his results with the same clinic, and with a suggestion from @JeanLucBB.

Hair status:
I am a 35 year-old male, with a very curly hair style (as per my username), and my status was approximately NW2.5, mostly thinning and receding in the front with a bit of loss at the crown. I have been maintaining successfully for approximately 3 years with a combination of 1 ml a day of 5% liquid minoxidil, nizoral 1% applied ~2x/week, and maybe ~20 mg/day of RU 58841.

I cannot take finasteride due to the risk of side effects. I would like to microneedle but I keep forgetting as it's a chore. I am looking forward to CB 0301's public release, and possibly to SM 0454, I don't know what's up with that. On the other hand, I used to be enthusiastic about Brotzu and Histogen, and they both turned out to be scams.

Cost:
The total cost of the surgery was 2,590 euros, which included the FUE surgery, the platelet rich plasma, post-surgical medicines, being picked up and dropped off at the airport to the hotel, being picked up and dropped off at the clinic from the hotel, and 3 night's sleep at the hotel. The other cost include the plane ticket, 3 extra nights at the hotel (I decided to see Istanbul), a week of parking at the airport, a flight, and the cost of whatever fun I had in turkey. Altogether, I got a hair transplant, and a few days leisure in Istanbul, for under US$ 5,000.

In contrast, Dr. Cole of the ForHairClinic, based in Atlanta, gave me a quote of ~US$15,000 for 2,200 grafts. He would have plausibly done a better job with fewer grafts ... but I would have paid at least $10,000 more, and in his case I would have also had to pay for the hotel, etc.

The operation itself:
I got driven from the hotel to the clinic at around 8:00am. They took some blood tests to make sure that I did not have AIDS, etc or whatever, took some other blood to do the platelet-rich-plasma treatment, gave me a light breakfast, and I saw the doctor. The doctor and I what I wanted, and asked for photos of my when I was younger. He then drew a new hairline for me, which was slightly lower, and also added hairs where I already had some hairs (my prior hairline) to thicken future density. He did not add hairs to what would have eventually become my island, he drew a circle around that, and he drew another small circle at the crown.

The transplant lasted from approximately 9:00am until approximately 2:00pm. I felt a bit of pain when they were pulling out grafts, and when they were giving me localized anesthesia, but the combination of jet lag and the Xanax caused me to sleep through most of the surgery including the implantation part. I vaguely remember them discussing this yellow fluid that would contribute to the platelet-rich plasma component at the end. In the middle of the surgery, Dr. Cinik came to tell me that I have very strong grafts, but I figure that he probably says that to a lot of people.

They have a small three or four story building pretty much operating as a transplant hospital. They do about 10 patients a day in the summer, and apparently up to 30-a-day in the winter.

I met other patients who got up to 5,000 grafts, as they had much more advanced baldness. The package mentioned above includes unlimited grafts ... as long as the donor supply is available. Once the back of the head is used up, the hospital charges an extra 1,000 euros or so to use beard and sometimes chest hair, which may be a good idea for people who are NW5+.

Complications:
The back of my head bled a lot the night after the transplant, and stopped bleeding by the 3rd night. I had some scalp itch post-transplant which peaked at roughly the ~7 day mark, it was managed by a combination of hydration, applying moist towels to my scalp, Tylenol / acetaminophen / paracetamol, and anti-histamines. Other people use aloe vera gel but that has little impact on me. Three weeks out, I've had some shock loss unfortunately, but it should be better within a few months.

The crusts fell off my scalp at approximately the 7-10 day mark, which is the expectation.

Side effects can be random. I got shock loss which is rare. On the other hand, I never noticed any redness, whereas for other people that can last up to a year. Such is life.

Why I Got a Transplant:
I am a former incel in a long-term recovery program, as per my posting history. I noticed my receding hairline in 2015 when I was at the gym, while lifting weights. I thought to myself "Holy f***, I'm taking one step forward and one step back, my life sucks." I found my way here and converged to my prior regimen. I only found out about discount transplants in Turkey this year.

After much soul searching and much more experience, I am simply even more convinced that women care about both looks and personality. In the next few months I can look forward to my hair progressively growing back, my last round of Invisalign (teeth alignment) progressively yielding its fruits of effects, and progressively losing the 15 lbs that I've put on from the last year of intense travel. I intend to look the best that I've ever looked at age 36.

I am now at a level where I struggle to get women, but I do get them. That means that I'm also at the level where any improvement in my appearance will yield maximum benefits. To be honest I think and believe that I can get good women now, but this will make things easier.

Advice for other hair loss sufferers:
Read up on other people's experiences here and get on treatments within 3 months. You will stabilize within a year. At approximately that point, book a hair transplant in Turkey, and then move forward with your life.

Photos:
The images shown below are taken the morning of the transplant, and I think the day after. It might be two days after. You can tell that it's on different days as I'm wearing different shirts.

Attachments

• Post_1.png
    Post_1.png
    599.8 KB · Views: 697
  • Post_2.png
    Post_2.png
    602.1 KB · Views: 762
  • Post_3.png
    Post_3.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 641
  • Post_4.png
    Post_4.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Post_5.png
    Post_5.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 681
  • Post_6.png
    Post_6.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 603
  • Pre_1.png
    Pre_1.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 635
  • Pre_2.png
    Pre_2.png
    408.5 KB · Views: 645
  • Pre_5.png
    Pre_5.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 715
  • Pre_4.png
    Pre_4.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 641
  • Pre_3.png
    Pre_3.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 641
  • Pre_6.png
    Pre_6.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 658
  • Pre_7.png
    Pre_7.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 636
  • Pre_8.png
    Pre_8.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the haters will hate , but I have to ask the question:
You have been on minoxidil for 3 years on a daily basis; did you notice some increase of under eye dark circle? that sh*t really rekt my face...

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me the top Doctor now are not Koray anymore, he is turning into a factory doing dozens of transplant per day.
you did a good choice with this Doctor, there is also dr meddeb in tunisia who is getting better and better

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story, Afro! I like the way you reason your way through things. You look pretty cool with the shaved head but now you’ll have the choice of hair or no hair. Your red shirt looks pretty cool you’ve probably upped your style game also!

But yeah congrats man! Keep us posted!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the haters will hate , but I have to ask the question:
You have been on minoxidil for 3 years on a daily basis; did you notice some increase of under eye dark circle? that sh*t really rekt my face...

Nope, no increase.

I am very skeptical of claims of minoxidil side effects for people taking moderate doses of the topical. I suspect that the side effects kick in for people who are mega-dosing minoxidil, say by using more than 2 ml/day or 5% solution. I only use 1 ml/day of 5% solution. There is no credible reason to megadose minoxidil.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I medagose minoxidil because I apply it everywhere and have diffuse thinning...
No i am trapped with it .
I never believed of the wrinkle side effect, But the dark circle is real. It is a vasodilatator, and I have a twin brother not on minoxidil who don't have any dark circle under eye . ME i have weird blue, veinous one under eye,really strange.
I am contemplating under eye filler to fight this ( I am only 26 yo...)

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but were your grafts placed in the corners only it was your entire frontal third reinforced. I ask because as far as your corner recession I don’t see a whole lot. 2750 grafts seems like a lot to fill in just the corners.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I medagose minoxidil because I apply it everywhere and have diffuse thinning...
No i am trapped with it .
I never believed of the wrinkle side effect, But the dark circle is real. It is a vasodilatator, and I have a twin brother not on minoxidil who don't have any dark circle under eye . ME i have weird blue, veinous one under eye,really strange.
I am contemplating under eye filler to fight this ( I am only 26 yo...)
Again, there is absolutely no need to megadose minoxidil. Just do 1 to 2 ml a day. Everybody else manages.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but were your grafts placed in the corners only it was your entire frontal third reinforced. I ask because as far as your corner recession I don’t see a whole lot. 2750 grafts seems like a lot to fill in just the corners.

Look at images post_5 and post_1. First, I did get a few grafts in the crown, though I'm not sure how many. Second, it's not just the corners but the entire lower third except for the future island. So they added density to areas that already had some hair.

It's "a lot" because I don't have as much ground to cover as a NW5.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
These are the 60-day photos. My recipient area never went completely bald, so I'm not sure if there's any progress, but some of the hairs there seem to be longer than 1 mm. I think that this is a good sign, and that these are the first hairs to re-grow. That peach fuzz has approximately zero aesthetic value, but it may be a good sign of things to come. I no longer have any itch.

Image1.png
Image2.png
Image3.png
Image4.png

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been approximately five months now since my transplant. Given that I've gained ~15 lbs due to travel+stress, I probably don't look objectively better, but, ... I still feel a lot better when looking in the mirror. I guess I was really noticing my receding hairline before.

I went through a lot of photos on my cell phone recently, and I hate the missing two or three inches. The vast majority of those photos I have never shared with anybody ... and that's because I was restricting photo sharing to those photos in which my hair looked the least bad. I would be taking tons of photos of the same situation with slightly different angle, and keeping the one where my hair looked least bad. Though I still have better and lesser photos, my hair is no longer the determining factor, it's other things like whether or not I'm blinking --- you know, like a normal person.

I've posted some photos on Photofeeler recently, and I'm now getting some specific compliments such as "Handsome guy," and "Your eyes are simply fab," which I didn't get before.

Another plus: I don't worry if I miss one or two or three days of minoxidil.

Given these developments, I reiterate that a hair transplant can be a great decision from a psychological and body image perspective alone. I strongly recommend considering Turkey for those with limited financial means.