Affinity Of 5ar Type-2 (finasteride Vs dutasteride)

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
As we all know dutasteride is a dual inhibitor to both type-1 and type-2, and finasteride selectively inhibits type-2. But dutasteride has a better affinity to type-2 than finasteride, and provides a more complete inhibition of type-2 enzymes. What does that mean? Why would dutasteride inhibit type-2 more completely?

Does that mean there would be some type-2 enzymes left that do not get inhibited when taking finasteride only?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been 2 years since I switched from finasteride to dutasteride. The frontal area is still worse than when I was on finasteride. I looked at the pics taken last year, it was exactly like now. So if I continue to take dutasteride, it probably will still be like this a year later.

One thing I'm really afriad is, the affinity of finasteride to type-2 is not as strong as dutasteride. Does that mean if I take finasteride only, there will be some type-2 enzymes left uninhibited?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Maybe im wrong but I thought finasteride was like 70% at 1mg while dutasteride is like 90 percent. So I mean dutasteride is really much stronger, and in theory should work better.
Hair loss can progress in 2 years even if your on dutasteride. Once male pattern baldness is going and you take dutasteride that is no guarantee it can reverse those processes. How effective AAs are largely depends on timing. How long have you been balding, how long have the hairs been gone, how your immune system reacts compared to others..
The earlier the better that is for sure. Its not reversible
Yes if you take finasteride not all 5-ar 2 is inhibited. dutasteride is much more plus type 1 which could have roles in who knows what besides just hair.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride is more potent at inhibiting type II (and type I obviously) than finasteride.

Not only that, but dutasteride has a tendency to accumulate in the blood, leading to much stronger effective inhibition at tissue level, where DHT plasma levels are insignificantly putative for true inhibition.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride is more potent at inhibiting type II (and type I obviously) than finasteride.

I switched to Dutasteride 2 years ago, and my hair now is actually worse than before the switch, especially the frontal area.

For the last 2 years, I've done so much research and so convinced that dutasteride is superior. It just does not make sense.

I only use brand name Avodart dutasteride from a reliable local pharmacy, not online, so it's definitely geniune.

I'm really in angony right now! I'm really afriad that switching back to finasteride would be even worse... I don't know what to do....

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@BaldingHelpMe : you will have to try... but maybe you were supposed to have your hair getting worse, and dutasteride couldn’t avoid that. Maybe with only finasteride you would lose more hair ...
You can try 6 months. And prey.