Advise On Stopping The Use Of Concealers

webforce77

Reaction score
I am hoping I am not the only one who is in this situation so maybe someone can give me some advise.
I have been using toppik and couvre or another form of concealers for about 15 years now. No one knows about this, including my wife and my kids. Don't ask on how I managed this but its been difficult. I am not doing anything to prevent the hair loss so at this point of my life I barely have any hair left and I am ready to shave my head. The problem is I just can't go from what looks like a full head of hair to bald that looks like I have been balding for years. What I am trying to do is actually what I should have done long time ago when I still had hair and show that my hair is thinning. I would like to make this a gradual process where my family and coworkers/friends actually see that I am losing hair and then at some point shave it all off. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to do that with toppik or any other concealer. I tried using less or not using couvre but that just gives me a white bald spot with dark toppik fibers around it. Any other products out there that can make it look like I still have some hair but its thinning and to make my scalp show? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
Just go all-in on the shave or at least close buzz, if that's your ultimate plan. It will look intentional, rather than trying to play out a fake story of quick but gradual loss, followed by a shave.

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, your only option is to shave it off. I'm actually shocked you used it for 15 years and your wife and kids don't know about it. Especially if you haven't been treating your hairloss.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went from a fullhead to a baldy in a month or so. I used concealer for years while using hair loss meds to give the illusion of a fullhead, then out the blue after I been on meds for a while I realized my hair is actually not that bad due the meds that I stopped using a concealer and I could almost pass as a fulllhead with some thinning areas but it was good enough. Then later on I quit the meds altogether and after a month I saw I was losing a lot of ground so I buzzcut my head and all of the sudden I could see very clearly how bad my hair was, I was a NW4+ with the rest of the hair being very diffused in the NW1 area. I got a lot of weird looks from ppl that know me, close friends were like "what the hell happened to your hair?" so I told my close friends that I been balding for many years and used meds and now I quit the meds and this is what's left of my hair. I guess what you can do is use less and less concealer gradually and eventually buzz ur head and tell the people close to you that you quit hair loss meds and it would make a perfectly true story. However, regarding your wife, i would maybe come clean about everything, but that's just me.
Just a tip, hold a hand mirror above your head while looking into another mirror so when you apply your concealer you can be precise about where you're gonna use less and leas concealer and you'll be able to mlremore clearly how much you've covered.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position, been using Toppik on my hair for 6 years and nobody knows, not even wife. Brown pillow.

I was going to start reducing the amount I put on. You could start meds?

Toby0823

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is amazing story. Can't believe your wife doesn't know. I mean, don't you two shower/swim/excercise etc together? 15yrs?

I suggest just shaving it off.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can't be using that much if pillow cases aren't an issue. I can use a brown pillow case and it's still shows a stain. Worse still, it's not still on the head! Hair spray or not

Assemblage23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretend you are suffering from sudden hair loss and losing your sh*t and just buzz it off. Or get a SMP. Only way out.

Assemblage23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And in 15 years, your wife never ran her fingers through your hair and wondered about her black nails?? The only way I got "caught" was how one noticed my nails and fingertips where always dirty.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm glad to quit concealers. I was a slave to for 2 whole years, every single day, only me and my family knew about it. I couldn't even leave the house for a few mins without a concealer. Always checking the mirror to see if it got smudged off or anything like that. Always on the lookout if anyone is suspecting you put something in your hair.
Eventually I just buzzcut and moved on, you'll be happy you did.