Advice/Suggestions/Kind Words

jasonbudd1984

Reaction score
I am a 22-year-old Brit male, and have been losing my hair for probably about 3years now. Maybe more, but I think I have just been in denial. However looking at old photos Ive certainly had a receding hairline for that amount of time. However over the past year or so I have also developed a very noticeable thinning in the crown.

The m.p.b. is proceeding in a vertex 3 pattern. My hairline is high and is receded and I have what is the making of a bald patch on my crown, there is still hair there but it is thin and sparse.

I bought some Proscar about a year ago, however was on a whole bunch of meds at the time and just couldn’t cope with any more.

However for the past month I have been taking 1.25mg of finasteride, or there abouts. I have also been using minoxidil twice daily.

When I bought the Proscar I also ordered some 2% spironolactone. It says on the packaging that it needs to be kept in the fridge, and I haven’t done that. I am using it about twice daily, whether it is still “activeâ€￾ I do not know.

I think I may be going through abit of a shed. The density of my whole hair looks thinner, however I may be just be finally accepting/noticing the extent of my hair loss properly.

Ive buzzed my hair short, about a 2 grade, and have kind of got used to that.

What else can I be doing?

I have to admit that I am pretty tempted by dutasteride, probably go with a generic.

Should I just ride out and see what the finasteride does?

Is dutasteride a consideration?

I just do not want to waste anymore time.

I have some base line pics, and ill get them uploaded soon…hopefully with progress photos.

Sean68

Reaction score
advice - i personally would give dutasteride a go if youre thinking about it. start with 3 x a week.not many people report sides with that dose it seems and you can always switch back to finasteride. the spironolactone should be ok - dr lees says to store at room temperature.

kind words - youre a beautiful human being created in gods own image.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should try finasteride for at least 12 months straight before switching into Dutas.

If finasteride doesn’t work, then make the switch.

Also, add Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week.

Hairbank

Reaction score
You really haven't given finasteride a try. I'd stick with it for a year at least before making a switch. minoxidil has been shown to help as well.............the regimen was too messy for me so I don't use it. With either one, you need to realize you're making a long-term commitment as anything you gain or keep because of finasteride/minoxidil will be gone if you stop using them. Some people start......stop.......start.......stop.......switch........you really need to be prepared to stick with them over the long haul.

As for scalp and hair care...........someone mentioned Nizoral and I'd add Nioxin to the mix as well. They should help provide for optimal growth conditions.

Hope this helps,

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
ive been on the big three,finasteride/nizoral and minoxidil for 13 months

i would definitely give finasteride AT LEAST a year and personally im going to give it at least 2 years before even considering dutasteride.

it has clearly had a positive effect on my hair and i can tell it has a lot still to offer.i can see me being on finasteride for a few more years yet!

so yes,definitely give finasteride a good go :hairy:

Sean68

Reaction score
hi mate no just dutasteride. i considered it but if i was gonna do that id go for two days of dutasteride and maybe three of finasteride but its just too complicated. if i get
sides i might consider it but not had any yet touch wood.

jasonbudd1984

Reaction score
Well I am definitely going to stick with treatment plan this time around. I had to quit last time just because my liver test results showed it was struggling to cope, was on about 5 different things.

I was asking about dutasteride just because I have read if you are past a N2 you should consider it.

But mainly because I don’t want to lose any more ground, if I continue with finasteride and it doesn’t work, it feels as if it’s slipped a bit further away.

Just being impatient.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jasonbudd1984 said:
I was asking about dutasteride just because I have read if you are past a N2 you should consider it
i would agree with that