Advice On Restarting Finasteride After A Break

Scotwilcro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, 28 year old male here with what I’d describe as mild hair thinning at the moment, mainly at the temples.

I started taking finasteride in November of last year, I was on 1mg a day until January and then 0.5mg very day until March and that’s when I stopped.

My scalp and hair hadn’t felt as healthy as it did when I was on Finasteride for years, and I was noticing increase in hair density even in my temples.

Sadly, I had sides that unfortunately persisted...
Really low sex drive, very weak erections, constant ball ache throughout the time I was taking it.

4 months not taking finasteride, and only just feel recently like my sexual function is returning to normal.

I’m starting to lose the gains I made whilst on finasteride, and I’m really tempted to restart and just hope I don’t suffer the same side effects but I know that’s extremely unlikely sadly.

Worth taking the risk? I know I can stop again, but it took so many months for the sides to mostly go the first time

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, 28 year old male here with what I’d describe as mild hair thinning at the moment, mainly at the temples.

I started taking finasteride in November of last year, I was on 1mg a day until January and then 0.5mg very day until March and that’s when I stopped.

My scalp and hair hadn’t felt as healthy as it did when I was on Finasteride for years, and I was noticing increase in hair density even in my temples.

Really low sex drive, very weak erections, constant ball ache throughout the time I was taking it.

4 months not taking finasteride, and only just feel recently like my sexual function is returning to normal.

I’m starting to lose the gains I made whilst on finasteride, and I’m really tempted to restart and just hope I don’t suffer the same side effects but I know that’s extremely unlikely sadly.

Worth taking the risk? I know I can stop again, but it took so many months for the sides to mostly go the first time

It's hard if not impossible to predict whether you'll be sides free or not if you restart. Do a good research before acting. I've read many stories wherebppl got fcked really bad upon restarting. It doesn'y mean it's gonna happen to you but definitely research well.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score

You will 100% get the sides again. If you want to try and balance gain vs risk you could try topical finasteride.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Howndo you know it's 100%?

If you had sides from decreasing DHT in various tissues around the body, you're gonna get the same sides when you inhibit the DHT in the same tissues exactly as before. Unless your sides are estrogen or prolactin related and you can take other drugs to try and manage them but that can be a real juggling act.

Scotwilcro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.
I’m going to hold off going back on finasteride for now.
It’s a shame because it really was working for me before I stopped.

g.i joey

Reaction score

Try lower doses .5ed or .5eod

I take finasteride a couple times a week at this dose and I’m happy if it’s just slowing the process. I’ve gotten on and off finasteride countless times now... sides go away every single time for me although it’s a slow nerve wrecking process

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try lower doses .5ed or .5eod

I take finasteride a couple times a week at this dose and I’m happy if it’s just slowing the process. I’ve gotten on and off finasteride countless times now... sides go away every single time for me although it’s a slow nerve wrecking process

Good advice. Just slowing it down to where it's tolerable is a sweet spot for many.

Scotwilcro

My Regimen
Reaction score
After a lot of thought I’ve decided to restart finasteride.
I really don’t want to, but I’m really starting to see my hair get worse and worse recently. I’m losing the gains I made from taking finasteride last time .

I just hope I don’t regret it, I’ll just pray for a miracle and hope the sides aren’t as bad this time somehow.
I’m going to start on 0.25mg every day for now I think and take it from there.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My advice is. Get the pill and a glass of water. Now put the pill on your tongue. Drink the water.

Repeat this process until a cure for baldness appear in the news.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My advice is. Get the pill and a glass of water. Now put the pill on your tongue. Drink the water.

Repeat this process until a cure for baldness appear in the news.
That's the wisest piece of advice I've ever read....

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After a lot of thought I’ve decided to restart finasteride.
I really don’t want to, but I’m really starting to see my hair get worse and worse recently. I’m losing the gains I made from taking finasteride last time .

I just hope I don’t regret it, I’ll just pray for a miracle and hope the sides aren’t as bad this time somehow.
I’m going to start on 0.25mg every day for now I think and take it from there.
I am guessing your sides were not that bad (or they were bearable) since it took less than a month for you to go back.

Scotwilcro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am guessing your sides were not that bad (or they were bearable) since it took less than a month for you to go back.

I actually stopped in March of this year, and it’s only in the last 2-3 weeks that I feel I’ve mostly recovered now from the sides.
The sides were not great honestly.

Anyway restarted taking finasteride yesterday. Very slight twinge feeling in my balls today, or maybe I’m just expecting it so I feel something that’s not actually there. I’ll see in time I guess.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually stopped in March of this year, and it’s only in the last 2-3 weeks that I feel I’ve mostly recovered now from the sides.
The sides were not great honestly.

Anyway restarted taking finasteride yesterday. Very slight twinge feeling in my balls today, or maybe I’m just expecting it so I feel something that’s not actually there. I’ll see in time I guess.
my misread, sorry. What I meant tough is that since you are willing to go back, sides were uncomfortable but not scary

Scotwilcro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I’d post an update now I’ve been back on finasteride for about 6 weeks.

Currently on 0.5mg a day, was on 0.25mg the first 2 weeks.
The first week I had pretty bad testicle pain, at the times the pain was pretty excruciating. It went after a week and have been pain free since.
My libido has taken a noticeable hit sadly. Fortunately I can still get an erection easy enough and it’s still strong.

Bit early to say about my hair. Scalp feels healthier, and I’m barely shedding any hair at the moment so positive signs I hope.
Planning to up to 1mg finasteride soon, though that does worry me a bit as sides are manageable at the moment, but I want the maximum hair benefit.
Going to add minoxidil around the 2 month mark.

Overall a better experience so far than my first attempt on finasteride. Hoping it continues!

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I’d post an update now I’ve been back on finasteride for about 6 weeks.

Currently on 0.5mg a day, was on 0.25mg the first 2 weeks.
The first week I had pretty bad testicle pain, at the times the pain was pretty excruciating. It went after a week and have been pain free since.
My libido has taken a noticeable hit sadly. Fortunately I can still get an erection easy enough and it’s still strong.

Bit early to say about my hair. Scalp feels healthier, and I’m barely shedding any hair at the moment so positive signs I hope.
Planning to up to 1mg finasteride soon, though that does worry me a bit as sides are manageable at the moment, but I want the maximum hair benefit.
Going to add minoxidil around the 2 month mark.

Overall a better experience so far than my first attempt on finasteride. Hoping it continues!
That is somewhat good news. Keep an eye on your sides and update us from tine to time