Advice on quitting rogaine.

eBOW

Reaction score
Hi I have been on rogaine for about five months and finasteride and Nizoral for about 3 months. My hair is not all that bad and I feel that if I would of educated my self first I only would of went on finasteride and nizoral to maintain. The first 3 months on rogaine my hair thinned out alot. I am curious do you think if I quit rogaine and just stay on nizoral Finpecia i will be able to maintain. I really don't think rogaine did anything for me but thin out my hair. I know about shedding and how important it is to stay on treatment but I feel that I rushed into the minoxidil. What would be your advice forum members? I am only 21 years of age and a norwood 2, but screwed my self by not educating my self between a dht blocker and a growth stimulant. I am just worried that I have maintain terminal hair with rogaine. I have noticed some vellus hairs sprouting on my temples which was probably induced by the rogaine but I don't mind losing those hairs. It is the terminal hairs that I still have that I am worried about losing if I quit minoxidil.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
If you quit minoxidil then any gain you got form it will slowly vanish. If you have't had any gains then you won't really loose anything. 5 months isn't enough to judge effectiveness, but any gains you have had over that period are unlikely to be missed if you quit min. If you drop it now you can always start again later if you think it may help.

I thought about the same thing a while back but I decided to stick with the minoxidil because I do want to thicken up some and I hope that the minoxidil is actually doing something.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Like Dinzy said, 5 months isn't really enough time for you to have a large number of minoxidil dependant hairs, so it shouldn't be a problem to drop it. This will also give you a chance to better assess exactly what finasteride is doing on its own.

manpretty

Reaction score
Can't really add more than what the others have said, but if it's only 5 months you probably wouldn't have gained anything that would make a dramatic loss if you stopped using it. Sooner you get off of it the better if you don't plan to stay on it though.