advice on products and combination.....

johnnie69

Reaction score
I dont want to take propecia cause of the hormonal influence.....

I have a laser comb, Revivogen, 5% Rogaine, Nixzoral, T-gel and Emu oil.

I have also heard that copper peptides are effective.

How is one to know what is actually working when using such a wide variety of products, and/or which ones to use/eliminate.

Currently:
Hairmax 3x per week.
Revivogen evenings
minoxidil 5% morning
Nixz Shampoo 3x week
Emu oil shampoo and conditioner daily.
Revivogen daily.

Seems like overkill to me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanx

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
johnnie69 said:
How is one to know what is actually working when using such a wide variety of products, and/or which ones to use/eliminate.

Yea....It's impossible to know what's working and what's not. Not to mention any more than two topiclas turns your scalp into a grease pit.

You have two solid topicals there and the rest are shampoos. Shampoos have little effect on any regrowth but can be key in maintaining a healthy scalp when using topicals. The exception being Nizoral as it's shown to have simular regrowth properties as 2% minoxidil. Rotate that with a good shampoo and conditioner and your set. If things get too greasy look into Dr Lee's minoxidil. His minoxidil has less PPG in it so it dries quicker and is less greasy.

Hope this helps

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What you're doing may seem like overkill, but it's really not. The Lasercomb is FDA approved for hair thickening, not (yet, anyway) for regrowth, so it will give you better scalp coverage. Minoxidil is a regrowth agent. Nizoral is a regrowth agent too, but it also soothes the scalp, and you have to shampoo anyway. Revivogen is the only anti-DHT agent you're using, and fighting DHT should be a part of any regimen.

As odd as it sounds, if anything, I would add another topical, copper peptides, which you can use at the same time as you're using minoxidil. CUs are regrowth agents, but they work by enlarging the follicles, something none of the other things you are using do.

johnnie69

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice.....

I havent researched copper peptides as of yet....How specifically do I fit it in?

Here is what I do now:

Laser comb 3x weekx15 min.
5% Rogaine in the morning
Revivogen in the evening
Emu oil directly on scalp to help to avoid irritation (stinks!!)

Here is where I need clarity. I now have in my shower Reviv shampoo and conditioner, Nizoral, emu oil shampoo and conditioner, T-gel and am considering Copper peptides (as I stated, have not reasearched yet)

My question-What is the best way to use the products-rotating them daily or washing my hair 200-300 times per shower using all of them daily?????

Again, thanks for the advice. It makes me feel comfortable and confident to know that I am incorporating the best possible regeimn. Positive frame of mind has to be of some benefit....

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Use Nizoral shampoo three times a week, no more. I wash my hair with Nizoral on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I normally use T-Gel, Denorex or some other coal tar based shampoo. On Sunday (and sometimes on one of the normal coal-tar days) I use a different shampoo that does not dry my hair and which is better for styling. I use a good conditioner on the days I use Nizoral, since it dries out my hair a lot.

I apply 5% minoxidil and copper peptides (Folligen) first thing every morning, first Folligen, then minoxidil about 10 minutes later. I normally work out and do office work in the mornings and see clients in the afternoons, so I wash my hair in late morning. That means the topicals are on my head for about three hours in the morning. Then I have no treatment on my head all day when seeing clients. After supper, or when I get home from seeing clients if I have an evening appointment or choir practice, I again apply Folligen and minoxidil.

I use the Lasercomb three days a week, usually Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday or Friday, after washing and drying my hair. It adds about 15 minutes to my routine, but my hair looks great those days.

I also take dutasteride every morning.

About 3-4 times a week I use Revivogen, but this isn't recommended. I'm simply using up my last bottle. It irritated my scalp, so I cut down on using it and am now just getting rid of what's left. If you're going to use Revivogen, you must use it every day. In fact, if you're not going to use it twice a day, you should add spironolactone to your topical routine, I'm told.

I'm thinking of going to Proxiphen or some other combo product in the evenings instead of minoxidil. But those products contain minoxidil, so if I do that, it won't be a fundamental alteration of my regimen. I'll still be treating twice a day with minoxidil.

I've seen enough regrowth on my crown that my hair there now sometimes becomes tangled. That hasn't happened in a few years. It's not quite that thick on my vertex, but on most days there is no noticeable thinning , where before it had gotten so thin that it looked almost like a bald spot. On my hairline there is only minimal regrowth, not much other than lots of vellus hair.

johnnie69

Reaction score
I thought that Revivogen in p.m. and 5% in a.m. would/was supposed to be most effective.....spironolactone??????

My whole house is gonna be hair loss products.... Why not the rev/5% combo?

Did you get side effects from the dutasteride??? I have decided to avoid the internals that fu*k with my hormone levels....

As for you irritation, try the emu oil-it works....although I dont like the smell.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
johnnie69 said:
I thought that Revivogen in p.m. and 5% in a.m. would/was supposed to be most effective.....spironolactone??????
You are supposed to use both products twice daily for best effect. They do different things -- Revivogen blocks the formation of DHT, but it wears off in a few hours. Thus if you only use it once daily, you really aren't doing much good. spironolactone does the same thing, so using it and Revivogen, one in the am and the other in the pm is more effective than using either by themselves.

johnnie69 said:
Did you get side effects from the dutasteride??? I have decided to avoid the internals that fu*k with my hormone levels....
Slight side effects, nothing major.

I don't need to use emu oil in my hair because the Folligen and Nizoral, as well as coal tar shampoo, keep the scalp inflammation away. If I use Revivogen twice daily, I get scalp inflammation no matter what I do. Putting emu oil in my hair nightly would only get it all over my pillow eventually.

johnnie69

Reaction score
Revivogen says on the label to use once daily.....

Like your idea of incorporating copper peptides into my regeimn.

johnnie69

Reaction score
I got mt Tricomin today(shampoo, conditioner, spray)....Says on the label to use daily...My question, I also have Revivogen shampoo and conditioner and solution......Use the Revivogen solution in the evenings and plan to use the tricomin spray in the morning with the Rogaine....What about the shampoos and conditioners.....I also use Nizoral....What is the best way to rotate all of the products (shampoos and conditioners) and still get the maximum results??????

I was considering nizoral with emu oil conditioner,next day Revivogen, next day Tricomin, then repeat.......????

Any advice appreciated.

G

everyone is different, dont expect someone to just reply with "yes i used these combos and it turned out terrific. Everyne is different

johnnie69

Reaction score
Assuming that everyone is different is a given.....yet the products that I described are rather common and incorporating them into a routine has to have been experimented.....just looking for optimum results through proper rotation.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Johnnie: Any advice I give is only my layman's opinion. Overall, I think you have the right mindset for combining products. Your suggestions appear logical and I think your rotation scheme (and the way you reason it out) is very good.

For example, I've read that Nizoral works for 2 to 3 days, so rotate something in between. Mvp's ideas, and many other veteran's ideas, are great.

You're reasoning is fine IMHO and to this layman whatever rotation you select won't be your fault if it doesn't work. In other words, I think your mindset is allowing you to give the follicles what they need. The rest is up to mother nature.

Since Sept. 2004, when I declared war on male pattern baldness, I've read about an Enclyopedia Britannica's amount of info. LOL! I honestly can't see any fault in your reasoning from what I've read. That's all I can say because I'm a layman.

Good luck!!